THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaissance Music?  (Read 1265 times)

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
Renaissance Music?
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:20:17 AM »

So, I'm going to the PGH Ren Fest this year, like every year. I always go in costume, but this year, I'm going as a minstrel. Hopefully, they won't kick me out.

Trouble is, I don't know that much renaissance-y music. I know scarborough fair, and Ca' the yowes to the knowes.

Help me, shadowbox. Preferably songs that use really easy guitar chords, and especially songs that use only G Em C D or some variant of that progression, because it's hella simple to play while singing and walking. Or dancing. Or running.

None of that classical guitar crap. I want lyrical stuffs that use simple chords. I couldn't play my classical guitar the right way if someone had a gun to my head.

*Edit*

I'm not looking for historical accuracy, either. I just want to amuse myself and my friends, and hopefully a few passers-by.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: Renaissance Music?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/bawdy-songs/idxv14as.htm plenty of these date from around the right time ( and are appropriate to annachronistic Ren fairs in the US )
Popular choice would be "the cuckoos Nest"
but you could also try "hunters Kiss" ( Rasputina did a version )
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Mali

• I STAB YOU
  • evilthoughtsevilthoughts
    • myspacorz
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »

You should totally do some hetero love songs,  like My Johnny..it's acapella so you could just make up guitar chords, I know the lyrics by heart if you need em.

or my personal favourite, Mally Lee.
I just need a friend.
Mali-licious, if I was a boy I would want to be your boyfriend!

JelliedFrogsOnToast

• somewhere over the rainbow
    • Calling all Myspace-Whores (:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »

I might be way too late with this reply, & it also might be of no help whatsoever, BUT, Benjamin Britten & Ralph Vaughnan Williams (& some other composers around the same time (first half to mid-twentieth century if i remember rightly)) were quite big on setting old british folk songs. I first came across ca' the yowes as set to music by Britten, & it usually comes in a collection alongside lots of other settings of songs from the same sort of period, so you could take a look at one of those collections & work backwards? I know it's perhaps a bit of an odd way of doing things but if you're really stuck.....?
Good luck with the minstrel costume - sounds fantastic!  :icon_rr:
Just sometimes, I miss the 'good old days'....

Each Peach Pear Plum.
I spy Tom Thumb.
Tom Thumb in the cupboard.
I spy Mother Hubbard.
Mother Hubbard in the cellar.
I spy Cinderella.
Cinderella on the stairs.
I spy The Three Bears.
Three bears out hunting.
I spy Baby Bunting.

etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up