THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: contraception = abortion?  (Read 3402 times)

___ampersand

• Just likes playing hospital.
  • I'm not the girl you think I am.
    • Shameless Plug
Re: contraception = abortion?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »

This will just be one of the fun things that happened near the end of Bush's term. In the same way that Clinton had all those last-minute pardons, I think he will take the last-minute political actions to a new level with executive orders for things like these.
Anyone wanna wager on whether Bush's last-minute pardon list is a whopper?

Do we have to? It's pretty much a guarantee...
The kind who comes to poker pockets stuffed with kings and aces

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »

The human paradox:
In most species, the more intelligent specimens live longer and produce more offspring.
More intelligent humans live longer, but are statistically inclined to have fewer children
than their stupid counterparts.

The good news is that a percentage of people from intellectually humble backgrounds ascend to higher states of mental function. If the same percentage (or even triple) of the better situated fall from intellectual grace, there is still a huge, net gain of communal, cognitive power.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

The good news is that a percentage of people from intellectually humble backgrounds ascend to higher states of mental function. If the same percentage (or even triple) of the better situated fall from intellectual grace, there is still a huge, net gain of communal, cognitive power.

Eh, explain? I'm not sure how that happens.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »

OK. I have to qualify that with a ratio assumption. I'm thinking that the percentage of the population in the category CeeGBee describes is quite a bit smaller than the rest of the population. Smart people, planning families years in advance and MAYBE having one kid. Some couples refraining entirely.

If 100 kids are born into that sort of family and culture, the majority of them will learn to follow in the footsteps of their parents. Let's call it ninety percent, for argument's sake. So, we have 90 added to the brighties culture.

Now, we have 900 backwards hicks popping out little morons like the mother has a handcrank on the side of her torso, shooting them all over the yard behind their trailer. Each family of four kids has one good one. Each block or row of the trailer park has one or two REALLY outstanding kids. they're the ones that "get out". We'll imagine they produce sixty of those. They join the ninety. They'll probably have more kids than their old-blood progressive counterparts. A few of the hicks will die in drunken tractor accidents and bonfire/everclear catastrophes. A few will go to prison. Others will move to the city (if they are hicks) and the 'burbs (if they are ghetto). Their next generation will produce a better progressive ratio due to environment.

In the end, the trash culture only manages to roll over their original number and add a few percentage points. The progressive culture picks up, reproduces and assimilates from a couple generations back for a fairly large gain.

My numbers are pulled right out of thin air, of course, but think about it... progressive, smart and cultured increase their ranks through reproduction, PLUS draw from the best of the more soiled masses. The ghetto culture and hick culture reproduce in high proportions, but they also produce some exceptional kids. The magic bullet is education. The more opportunities we provide, as a culture, the more kids will step up and live to their potential.

The trend waxes and wanes, but we are a much more enlightened and cosmopolitan society than we have ever been. We create and advance in quantum leaps. Even the least enlightened people are more sophisticated, on average, than the average person of many generations ago. Intelligence won't die out at the hands of a bunch of trailer trash fuckbillies. They just slow the advance of cultural evolution a bit.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »

This makes sense. Given there's also good teachers and good influences, this plan would work. I mean, I think I'm a little more progressive than my bookish parents.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up