Mine is a bit earlier...
Today, I attended day 1 of the Meadow Highland Games and Celtic Festival - "Music, Food, and Large Men Throwing Stuff"
A brief account:
1. Decidedly NON-Scottish weather - warm, with a cool breeze, and nary a cloud in the sky.
2. Massed pipes... Nothing on the scale of the really big gatherings, but a 300-piece band is
still impressive when you live a pipe-free life most of the time.... and I love bagpipes...
3. A multitude of dogs, both the sort one associates with Scotland/Ireland (gimongous wolfhounds
shelties, terriers, sheep dogs...) and others (dachsunds, pit bulls..). Yay dogs! (even the one who slobbered all over me...)
4. An Imperial stormtrooper in a kilt (sorry, I didn't get a picture).
They said it was haggis... If so, it's reputation for awfulness is exaggerated.
6. A vast assortment of attractive young ladies, and at least one very-drunk, slightly older than me,
bleached-blonde woman in a very short micro
kilt (slightly embarrasing...)
7. Lots of large, nay very
large, men... many of them hairy to a greater or lesser degree.
They threw telephone poles, a game I've heard of but never previously witnessed.
It was most impressive.
8. The Celtic-style group from the USAF's concert band.
9. A group called Mythica... They were good... They have a hurdy-gurdy...
This is an impressve instrument...
All in all, a vast improvement over yesterday.