THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Coming out" as an atheist  (Read 6072 times)

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: "Coming out" as an atheist
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »

That would be a great idea.... are you going to the 21/08/08 show?
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

That would be a great idea.... are you going to the 21/08/08 show?

Sorry I'm not. I heard about it too late to get tickets. Will have to make arrangements for another day, or if you go for drinks afterwards then give me a ring and I'll join you.
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »

Pm me your number again as I have probably lost it since losing the pub
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »

Pm me your number again as I have probably lost it since losing the pub

Sent it to you by PM.
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »

If religion helps you center yourself and get you through your day, cool. Just don't try to sell it to me.

jdfu!

AGNOSTICS FTW!!!!

Since 4 years ago.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »

very basically......... a motivating force or principle that underlies the fabric of reality..... non-human, and non-defined

What do you mean exactly - an intelligent mind behind the scenes or an as yet undefined/ineffable law of nature?

Intelligent... conscious. It would probably be hard to conceptualize from our perspective. Once we remove everything that is biological and material, the remaning entity (that which experiences material reality) would be, at the same time, very familiar and very alien.

You are right that inability to prove does not mean exclusion, but scientists and rationalists are expected to go and make theories by what they know and can demonstrate (which is why for example String Theory is still a not-yet-fully-accepted hypothesis).

...and I wish them to keep doing it. I only wish that they would also acknowledge the parameters and limits of their understanding and the possible limits of their tool of understanding. I wish they would not, so often, use their trade to justify their prejudices.

I hope to one day be able to discuss such things with the two of you in the pub.  I might drag Wyatt along too.

I would like this.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

preferpencil

• if sharks didn't have rows of teeth, then what?
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 07:41:56 PM »

mmmmm. the belief in ANY system of organized religion holds no weight for me ---since THEIR beginnings and history are as incredulous as what we term "mythology" --but ignore in regards to its influences on organized religion, etc.

the belief that there is Something Unkown seems more like a grab at two factors. for one, science can't answer all questions. particularly about anything faith-based, (and gnomes?) and on the other hand--one may have a desire to try and feel a certain universalist "vibe" to be short about it.

science can't answer faith, and faith Has been noted to (they hung a cow for sorcery not that long ago...)cause a Lot of human warfare and damage...

Yet. We who are typing aren't dead, are we? So...how do you know ANYTHING is correct. It's impossible and full of catch-22 boundaries.

---I do Object that ALL of us are born with a fundamentally good nature. Most, certainly. But what of the severely retarded --who may spend their whole lives behaving violently? Certainly they can't help it, but it doesn't change the Fact they are violent from beginning to end. I Loved these people though, so don't get on me for being an arse when it comes to the challenged. Second. What of serial killers. They may have been taught right or wrong, but they disregard it for their needs. There are enough individuals who appear to be born "without a conscience" to argue that not all of us are born innocent and lovely.............mmmm.........we could discuss the possibility of genetic barriers and sociological barriers that create people like Hitler or other famous "villains" ---but here's the funny part: It is almost always in retrospect, looking backwards, that we note someone for some sort of heinous desire or reckless abandon in terms of violence.

On the other hand, yes. I do think most people are born with a good heart, so to speak. I just think you can't refute the probability of other individuals who are not, or who don't Behave within the confines of customary idioms.

And I would like to join all of you at the pub. I try to keep an open mind, but have a very hard time with organized religions -- probably due to my history studies.

mmm. God, Are you there? It's me. Margaret. hahahaha          --unknowable. unknown. don't hold on to a system without making damn sure you're willing to commit your life to it. 100 years from now, "they" may be laughing at us.
I wonder if the 165 million year old dinosaurs believed in any kind of spiritual or religious dogma? Hmmm. Are you there, God, it's me, T-rex.

Point: We are only distinctive as animals in our knowledge of our own deaths. (certain other species included possibly--elephants for example) That is why we are soooo smitten with trying to toil about with religious belief. And I Do toil with this subject a bit. But it doesn't permeate my ---poor Fishy. That is just Wrong. 
"But it's never too late for the poetry of regret."--lee upton

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »

she's just a jeepster for your love. :glasses9:

jdfu!

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »

God, Are you there? It's me. Margaret.

I got that.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up