THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: having a relationship with a friend...?  (Read 2356 times)

lifeisnocabaret

having a relationship with a friend...?
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »

last saturday night i went to this girl's sweet 16 party (her name is anastasia). her and i used to not get along at all but now we can tolerate each other.
about 5 of my friends and i went to the party together, including my friend eddie. i've liked eddie for about 3 years (crazy, i know) and we got to be really good friends within the last year. like i consider him my best guy-friend. and i've mentioned hooking up to him but he was like "i don't like to hook up with my really good friends" so i was like ok fine whatever.
we all thought the party was going to be really great. we were sooooo wrong. it sucked. there were so few people there and no one was dancing.
eventually anastasia started to play spin the bottle (apparently we were back in middle school...) so eddie and i are sitting next to each other and the anastasia spins the bottle and it lands on eddie. and so anastasia walks up to eddie and the girl who was taking pictures asked if it was a kiss on the cheek or not. and eddie was like "well, it's your birthday" and then anastasia attacked his face. GROSS. and then apparently the picture didn't turn out so she went in again. and i walked away. my friends and i were sitting on a couch and eddie comes over and sits down and we were talking about the kiss and he's like "ok so the first time she kinda missed me mouth. i had to wipe spit off of my mouth. it was disgusting"...so i got some humor about that.
my friend susannah, who was giving eddie a ride home, asked eddie what he thought about me and he said that there is definitely something between me and him but he doesn't want to mess the friendship up. which i understand. and he was apparently like "well i want to be more than friends with benefits but not like boyfriend-girlfriend....like i'd like an open relationship"
i know that open relationship means that we would be together but free to hook up with other people. but for us, how would that be different from friends with benefits?
i would like to be together with him but without the boyfriend-girlfriend label, because i find that labels screw things up.
HELP!
There is nothing in the world that we can count on
Even that we will wake up is an assumption

___ampersand

• Just likes playing hospital.
  • I'm not the girl you think I am.
    • Shameless Plug
Re: having a relationship with a friend...?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:31:32 AM »

So you want to be fuck buddies then?
Well... It either works or it doesn't. It's definitely risky, and involves a lot of communication, but it CAN be done.
The kind who comes to poker pockets stuffed with kings and aces

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »

No, I think the correct term is companion.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:43 AM »

Correct term is he wants to have his cake, and eat it.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

Golly Mina!

• Coughs and sneezes Spread diseases
  • 死んだ滞在だけ17永久に
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:04:24 AM »

I don't really know what to say. I hate the thought of an open-relationship, I've never had one, mostly because fidelity or as they call it now, "exclusivity" was always taken for granted, I've never had to ask for an exclusive relationship. I'm a bit conservative about this,I don't like sharing, so the concept is appalling to me. But hey, if you're ok with it, that's fine. However, the whole thing depends on how well you get along with him. If your relationship is really great, I suggest you don't become fuck buddies, as ampy mentioned, because this is how usually friendships are ruined. Oh course, there are exceptions, but I just wouldn't risk it. It's hard to find a lover, but it's even harder to find a good friend.
suck my sunrise, bitchbrain.

Happiness is the longing for repetition.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:19:58 AM »

You walked away from a kiss imposed by a bottle spinning, not true feelings.

Now imagine how you would feel being with him, then knowing he might be involved with others?

Think really hard and be honest with yourself. If you can stay friends, and forget the other part there is always hope for a deeper relationship later.

The main thing is to be honest with yourself, and what you think you need and can handle from a relationship. Hope this helps...
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »

You use the word "gross" without a hint of irony.

I don't think you're ready for an, ahem, open relationship.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

lifeisnocabaret

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »

yea i dont know if i could handle an open relationship with him.
i'm not sure.
i think i just need to give it time and see what happens.

thanks for your advice, everyone.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »

You walked away from a kiss imposed by a bottle spinning, not true feelings.

Now imagine how you would feel being with him, then knowing he might be involved with others?

Think really hard and be honest with yourself. If you can stay friends, and forget the other part there is always hope for a deeper relationship later.

The main thing is to be honest with yourself, and what you think you need and can handle from a relationship. Hope this helps...

I agree! especially with the first part!
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

kayci

• LiveJournal
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »

He totally wants to be fuckbuddies without the responsibility of a relationship *and* without admitting that's all he wants.

It's doable if that's what you want, but it's usually not worth it if you have emotional investment. If you think it could develop into a "closed" relationship, then maybe try it out.

The above poster made a good point about walking away during the game, though. You're more attached than he is already.

Good luck.

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:23:17 PM »

I think it's okay to go from being "just good friends" to being "lover and lover". I'm currently trying to become involved with my friend Kang... Oh, the misery!

Cait.Beck!

• Silenceinmygrapevine
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:51:26 PM »

My experiance from dating friends, or from having friends from the 'group' date, is that it always ends badly for someone, either the other friends get screwed because the group falls apart, or loses those two, or one of those two members, and it messed with the group dynamic, or even if the two work out well ultimately, feelings are still hurt because someone liked someone or.. some shit always goes wrong, i've yet to see a friendship relationship that ended or came out perfectly or well for everyone and all were happy...

I dated my best friend and we ended up 'being together' for over 2 years, but I actually miss having him as my best friend, and i'd rather him still be or for that period of time have been my best friend rather than my boyfriend..
I wouldnt change anything.. it just blah. Things change when it becomes a relationship (most of the time..)
I exist as I am, That is enough.
Goodness found after digging up my profile in the old box:
Quote from: dangahdangah
Quote from: preferpencil
In conclusion, the clitoris is mysterious. TRY to ask the clitoris. Ask the clit and it will talk back.
does it really talk? :o

lifeisnocabaret

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »

i've made a decision.
i'm gonna go for it.
i know that if i don't, i'm going to be kicking myself in the ass, wondering what would have happened if i had done something.
i'm not going to take things too seriously. things might progress into an actual relationship or we might just go back to being friends.
but i really don't think that this would ruin the friendship.
Pages: [1]   Go Up