THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The past, present, and future of The Shadowbox…  (Read 18255 times)

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
  • Rise of The Cephalobot!
    • Twitter
The past, present, and future of The Shadowbox…
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »

It's been way too long since I've been able to post here, and I know many of you echo that sentiment.
But before I go on, let me be the first to say…
WELCOME BACK!

Now…because this is and has been such a convoluted mess of a story, let me do my best to breakdown what happened, where we're at now, and where we hope to go moving forward. And then of course, if you have questions/concerns/thoughts………this'll be the thread to post them in.

THE PAST
As many of you witnessed firsthand, this home to so many of us had become frustratingly overrun by spambots. It hindered our ability to enjoy it and despite the best efforts of myself, Hayley, and other mods, it was incredibly frustrating to keep it functioning. I should also point out (per suggestion of Miss Hayley) that even when spam was overrunning us, we were listening to your complaints and suggestions. Really, nothing was being ignored (and if it ever was, it certainly wasn't intentionally). Time - that would've been better spent on a LOT of other things - was spent deleting crap, and attempting to fix a very, very sad database. The backend was in disrepair, upgrades and updates were often near-impossible to implement, and so a little over a year ago I decided that it would be best to move in a different direction entirely.

I did a lot of research - keeping in mind we'd want software that would not only handle an import of all of the users/posts from the SMF forum, but also allow for scalability and integration into future web and mobile properties being built and dreamt up for Amanda. At the end of the day, and after seeing the success of the board my friend Matt runs, I decided that vBulletin was the best of the contenders.

When the redesign of Amanda's site started last winter, I wanted to make sure we had a seamless user experience where we had an "open door" for people to interact with amandapalmer.net AND Amanda's future apps AND The Box while being able to use the properties of their choice. I'm a big fan of "single sign-on" and giving people the choice to link in (or not) the way THEY want to. I've never seen a musician do that before - and still have yet to - and while it was ambitious, I believe it's the future. And that's what we've been trying to build a foundation for.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, that didn't go as planned. I don't have a staff nor have I figured out a way to clone myself, and while I do actually lose sleep over that sometimes, there's work to be done. We had a great group of people who worked very hard on trying to bring this forum into 2012, but it ended up being an unfortunate misstep. Surely due in part to the state of the backend, the import never functioned as expected. Some of you were completely shut out, others saw errors we couldn't replicate to fix, and more important than any of that: most people didn't like the look/feel/setup.

And so, at that point, I elected to "take it back" and go through with my original plan…a vBulletin-powered board, which would live here where we've all come to expect it. I'm terrible at estimating how long a project is going to take, it's one of my greatest flaws, but I felt confident I could get us upgraded and "back to normal" if I pulled a single all-nighter. What I didn't expect was the state of damage to everything…some of it old, some of it from the port earlier in the spring…it was like peeling back a digital onion filled with nothing but errors and despair. To put it into perspective for any of you tech geeks out there, the error log was well over a gig at one point.
I don't tell you this because I want a pat on the back, I tell you because I want you to understand what was so time consuming. And, well, maybe to make myself feel a little less insane. It was important to me (and others on the team) that we not just post a duct-taped mess that'd break and put us back to square one. At one point, everything looked so bad it seemed irreparable, but we really didn't want to start from scratch. And so, more than a week after I planned on having this up, with quite a few all nighters - and encroaching on the time of many people who stepped in to help me - we had a breakthrough.
That breakthrough is why you're able to read this right now, and after Hayley and I spoke, we decided that while my plan hasn't been fully executed, things are at least in a state to open back up…

THE THIS, THE NOW
This iteration of the board isn't vBulletin, it's a fully-cleaned-up sparkly new upgrade to SMF. It was hard for me to not want to wait until everything was DONE, DONE, DONE, but it's been too long and it will hopefully be good to give us this stepping stone. I've skinned it to look similar to what you all were used to. We've deleted a LOT of the stuff which has been clogging up the database, and knock on wood the bots are quiet. For now, while we keep tweaking and readying things, it's usable. My hope is that while we get the vBulletin ready behind the scenes, we can work out any last kinks and concerns on here and give you guys your meeting place back.

MOVING FORWARD
The PLAN is to start getting people back on here and when we're ready, shut down late some night and move everything over to vBulletin. I'm sure there will be hiccups, but they'll be small compared to the hells we've been seeing. I don't know if any of you are familiar with it, but I feel very strongly that it is more robust and will be more inline with where things are going from here.
Fingers crossed, right?
I am truly sorry that this has taken as long as it has, and I hope everyone knows I sincerely missed this place as well. I missed having the hub and community we spent years nurturing, I missed being able to easily post things here to get info out that wouldn't be buried in the fast-moving ephemera of social media, and I missed being able to think creatively vs trying to unravel the mystery of broken tech.

So, here we are. And I wanted to catch everyone up. We never forgot about you.
I'm hopeful.
Let's party………stomp around seeing if anything's loose and needs fixing.

And on that note……

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

Re: The past, present, and future of The Shadowbox…
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »

\:D/

the board looks very very pretty so far
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Edric.

• <3
    • Musics
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »

:) !!!!!
edric, fka edgar.

edgar was TOTALLY there. i know because i hugged him

Justin

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »

Hurrah!

From personal experience, vbulletin is awesome both to use and to administer.  It also has a lot of hooks to handle single signon sorts of things, when it comes to that. (Let me also offer my help along those lines, if it might be useful.)

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

Hello again Shadowbox...
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

AlwaysATourist

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »

Oh hey Shadowbox. 

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »

OMG REAL SHADOWBOX. It feels a little shinier than before but it still looks like REAL SHADOWBOX
Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »

yay! thank you!!!  :headbang:
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »

Sean:

I hadn't planned to ever post here again.

But I'm impressed
  • that the sbox will be active for Amanda/GTO's release of TiE next month

• with how you have handled this

• that you have a good plan for moving forward

Kudos to you, Hayley, Matt, et al.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

bluedance

• Dance {in blue}
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »

It's up! I'm in! yay!

Thank you so much for working so hard to bring this back. I know I wasn't incredibly active before it went offline, but I'd been trying to work up to being a part of the action, as I have on Twitter. This probably means a lot more to others than it does to me, but it's still incredible to see you guys working so hard and so openly to fix what went wrong.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »

Glad you guys are enjoying this tuned up version of The Shadowbox. I can't even begin to get into how much time, work, and energy was put into this thing. There's a lot of heart here, and it was really important for us to keep this forum alive and thriving. I wish I could buy Sean and his helpers an entire keg as appreciation for the amount of hours and attention that went into cleaning the backend of the forum. I know a lot of people were angry and frustrated and mad and all sorts of crumby things, but we appreciate your patience and thank you for having faith that we'd get everything back up properly.

Now, with the update Sean has shared, he mentioned that we've deleted a lot of junk off the database to get this forum working smoothly and to help with the forthcoming transition into vBulletin. With that, I've been digging through the Member list and removing the thousands upon thousands of spam accounts. So far, I've deleted approximately 50,000 (inactive) spam accounts, and have at least 25-30,000 or more to go, as a rough estimation. The accounts that I've removed have 0 posts, but it is possible with that many accounts being purged a small number of legitimate lurker accounts (that haven't been logged into in over 2 years) were removed as well.

If you've posted AT LEAST once your account is safe from deletion at the moment regardless of how long it has been since you last logged in (the most is near 2,000 days since log-in), but if you were a lurker that didn't visit this forum in over 2 years and managed to have the same IP and weird screen name formula as spam bots and accidentally got your inactive account purged - I apologize. Please re-register and get to posting!

If there is ANYONE who cannot log-in to their account for any reason at all, feel free to email or contact me (@HayleyFiasco) and I will look into it to see if it's still registered and to see what may be the issue.

Also- as you guys test this version of the board, please let us know if you see anything strange. Specifically, I'd like to know if you are able to use all the features and see the appropriate forums when logged in and when logged out (ie: Anarchy only appears if you're signed in). Thanks so much, everyone!  :headbang:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:15:06 PM by indeciSEAN »
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

_NikkiLS_

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »

You guys are all really, really incredible. Can't even begin to thank you for all the time and effort you put in -- it feels a little strange but ultimately awesome and homey to have the Sbox back.

meganpaige

• has 74 Indja Points.
  • I am a delicious boat.
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »

*throws confetti* Thank you Sean and Hayley!
"nobody's going to come up to you and tell you to stop cuddling a monk and put your seatbelt on and while i'm over here what the fuck are you doing cuddling this monk?" - amanda fucking palmer

KaeSalis

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »

Joined literally a couple days before everything went to hell, but I still got to see how brilliant and awesome everyone here is. Thanks for making that brilliance available again. Looking forward to figuring out the community.

Alaksuleiel

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 01:13:23 AM »

:D Yay! Well done!

jtaylor

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »

I haven't been active on here since more than two years ago, but I'm happy that the Shadowbox is back.
Maybe now that there is an upcoming concert that I am going to I'll post a bit more often than never.

MarcoG

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:45 AM »

great!

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 01:51:40 AM »

Danke danke danke Sean, Hayley, and everyone else involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad this is up again, I have no words other than several exclamation marks.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

l i s a

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 01:55:17 AM »

yay! thank you so much  :headbang:

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 02:07:29 AM »

:D sweet familiarity. How I've missed this place! Thank you guys so much, sorry to hear about the errors and the all-nighters, but thanks for bringing the box back in the mean time :)
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:23 AM »

Thank you Sean, Hayley, and all others involved! You have done an awesome job getting this up and running!!!
It's good to have the Box back and see everyone here again :D
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »

Apologies if my earlier description of "like before, but somewhat shinier" sounded like I didn't appreciate all the incredibly hard work you've put in, because I really do.
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »

i really like the return to this design with the few updated/simplifying touches. all your hard work is very much apreciated, and it's nice to have the box active now that so many things are going on. thanx  for everything!

JamDav91

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »

Hurrah! Well done, Sean and the gang!

Miiru

• Wage slave, desk monkey and nascent demiurge.
  • Aut Miiru aut nihil.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »

Hooray! :D I didn't post much before the changeover, but I was a champion lurker... I'm so very glad to see this place again!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »

sounds like a plan.   :brave:

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »

:love5: Thanks for all your hard work, Sean & Hayley! There are some things that can ONLY be discussed on the Box.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

I'm thrilled for all of the joyous posts. Thank you. Has anyone stumbled across anything weird/glitchy thus far that maybe should be addressed?

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »

Has anyone stumbled across anything weird/glitchy thus far that maybe should be addressed?

not a glitch and not even bothersome but i see the template for "news" twice on the main page

Miss Sahara

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »

i'm glad the shadowbox is back like this. thanks for all the work!!!

(btw, is there a way to switch off the information on which thread i'm currently reading? that creeps me out a bit haha. i don't mind the gereal 'online' display, though...)

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:03 AM »

Thank you all SO much, you gorgeous creatures!! I fucking love the Box :D Life without it has been embarrassingly boring... xD

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »

Hello 'Box.  :wave:

I cuddle-mug you to the floor of the internet.

*drive-by humping*

Xanthrax

• Love in an Age of Complete Indifference
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »

Thank you so much! I've pretty much always been a lurker here and not a poster but I'm super looking forward to being a bit more active.

Sean and Hayley, you guys rock.
Swimming in stockings.

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »

(btw, is there a way to switch off the information on which thread i'm currently reading? that creeps me out a bit haha. i don't mind the gereal 'online' display, though...)

I was curious as to how people would feel about that. I happened to like it so I had it enabled, but you're the first person to mention it and so now I made it so that it just shows numbers, not actual usernames. Wish it could be tailored on a profile by profile basis, but I'm fine with waiting to see if that can be done for the vBulletin version.

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »

Has anyone stumbled across anything weird/glitchy thus far that maybe should be addressed?

not a glitch and not even bothersome but i see the template for "news" twice on the main page

That was intentional. One of them is "random" and doesn't change except on reload (and also appears on all pages), the other will fade between entries and is only at the main hub. I like the fader since it cycles through stuff if someone wants to watch it for a bit, but I like the other one since it's at the top of every page and there's a chance someone will see something new they missed if they just hop straight to a certain sub-board/thread. Does it annoy anyone having both?

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »

doesn't annoy me...

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »

That was intentional. One of them is "random" and doesn't change except on reload (and also appears on all pages), the other will fade between entries and is only at the main hub. I like the fader since it cycles through stuff if someone wants to watch it for a bit, but I like the other one since it's at the top of every page and there's a chance someone will see something new they missed if they just hop straight to a certain sub-board/thread. Does it annoy anyone having both?
it didn't annoy me in the first place either, i was just mentioning it. everything seem to be working fine  O0

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »

Is it possible to make it easier to add photos to posts? I know how to do it, it just requires the step of uploading images to a place where it can have an extension that the Box will accept. If we could upload photos as attachments, or have some sort of photo file space that the forum could link to or use Tumblr somehow it would enhance the Box experience. Not that I want to turn this into Tumblr. I'm a very texty girl.  :coolsmiley:
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »

^That'd be so good! Photobucket for some reason wouldn't work the other day so I had to make an imageshack account, but I had a glance through my photobucket album and literally every single picture was one I'd put on the Box. It's the only reason I used the site at all. If you could do it on the Box it'd be way easier. Also, wouldn't that mean that it'd still only be Boxers who could see it? Like, imageshack and photobucket are both public, though you can set it to private, but the images are still out there in the world. I don't know, it doesn't matter too much to me, but it'd feel more secure somehow if it was a Box thing.

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »

Is it possible to make it easier to add photos to posts? I know how to do it, it just requires the step of uploading images to a place where it can have an extension that the Box will accept. If we could upload photos as attachments, or have some sort of photo file space that the forum could link to or use Tumblr somehow it would enhance the Box experience. Not that I want to turn this into Tumblr. I'm a very texty girl.  :coolsmiley:

I'd been debating it, and have some mixed feelings; Someone's gotta pay the bandwidth for these things. I know I try and always use TinyPic in situations like this……but lemme look into it some more than I already was.

P.S. ↓↙↓↙↓↙↓↙↓↙↓↙↓↙↓ ^-^

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »

Ah well we're obviously managing just fine the way it is :) It'd be cool, but it's not like a pressing need or anything, and if it's not possible or viable or whatever then I'm sure we'll cope xD

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »

wherever attachments are used, i feel it makes the page look more complicating, and since i sometimes scroll fast through a topic, i tend to miss many of the attachments, whereas full images cannot be missed. threads with many pictures will take a lot of time to view, and i think i won't bother opening most of them after a while. just my humble opinion though. maybe we should make a poll about it.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »

I just posted it on the Shit That Made Your Day thread, anyway i want to repeat it here: It's so good to be back in the good old Box! I've missed to be here.

Honestly, i didn't like the previous design, so it made me soooooo glad to find the Box the way it used to be.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »

Ah well we're obviously managing just fine the way it is :) It'd be cool, but it's not like a pressing need or anything, and if it's not possible or viable or whatever then I'm sure we'll cope xD

Yes, it's a "nice to have" and we will all shine on. The challenge of posting photos probably keeps most threads from filling up with giant images. I do dislike when a page of comments is really just 4 photos and would want to restrict the up-loadable image size.

Thanks for looking into it, Sean!

Miss Sahara

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »

I was curious as to how people would feel about that. I happened to like it so I had it enabled, but you're the first person to mention it and so now I made it so that it just shows numbers, not actual usernames. Wish it could be tailored on a profile by profile basis, but I'm fine with waiting to see if that can be done for the vBulletin version.

fantastic, thank you very much! (i can only speak for myself... so if the next board could handle that on profile by profile basis, that would be even fantastic-er)

hmmmm when I click to write a reply I always get the disclaimer

Warning: Topic is currently/will be locked!
Only admins and moderators can reply.

but obviously the actual posting is not affected....
maybe it's because i'm on my phone?

EDIT: okay, I checked! only get the message when posting from my phone.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »

Minor complaint, but can't help but wonder if the gender icon on the information thing beside every post is really necessary?

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »

Minor complaint, but can't help but wonder if the gender icon on the information thing beside every post is really necessary?
I'd wondered about that, too. The only reason I can think of as to why it would be there is for ease of pronouns when new people refer to someone's post or something, but the blue and pink/mars and venus thing seems a little awkward. Reminds me of baby clothing stores.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »

It does seem weird for a queer/queer-friendly space. I don't know if we have any gender-queer users, but it's a strange thing to have when we're so aware of the possibility. Also, yeah, pink and blue? Let's not....

Miss Sahara

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »

i found that a bit strange as well! but there is at least the possibility to turn it off in your profile settings.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »

It does seem weird for a queer/queer-friendly space. I don't know if we have any gender-queer users, but it's a strange thing to have when we're so aware of the possibility. Also, yeah, pink and blue? Let's not....
it was actually something I noticed and researched a bit to see if there was an admin option to turn it off, but the info I found was complex - that there is no option, rather a series of coding that needs to be changed. We aren't sticking with SMF indefinitely, as mentioned in this thread, we'll be switching to vBulletin soon, so I don't think it's necessary to put extra work coding something that won't be here much longer, so in the mean time if you are uncomfortable with it for your profile please go to your profile settings and remove it there.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »

it was actually something I noticed and researched a bit to see if there was an admin option to turn it off, but the info I found was complex - that there is no option, rather a series of coding that needs to be changed. We aren't sticking with SMF indefinitely, as mentioned in this thread, we'll be switching to vBulletin soon, so I don't think it's necessary to put extra work coding something that won't be here much longer, so in the mean time if you are uncomfortable with it for your profile please go to your profile settings and remove it there.

Done :) Didn't realise you could do that, I much prefer it now.

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »

Thanks, Sean. I don't know the backend details, obviously, but I don't doubt that things can get hairy really quickly, even when you are careful. Being able to hack through all that stuff and salvage something usable is no small feat. Good job, and good luck executing the rest of your plan. :)
"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

slyvia k

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »

*awkwardly steps in* hello! this is...so...weird... i mean having the box back! but it looks good!  :D

meganpaige

• has 74 Indja Points.
  • I am a delicious boat.
    • twitter
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »

*awkwardly steps in* hello! this is...so...weird... i mean having the box back! but it looks good!  :D

Welcome back, doll!
"nobody's going to come up to you and tell you to stop cuddling a monk and put your seatbelt on and while i'm over here what the fuck are you doing cuddling this monk?" - amanda fucking palmer

slyvia k

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »

:love5:

LOL i just noticed that my icon is MALE.  :brave:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

:love5:

LOL i just noticed that my icon is MALE.  :brave:

haha!  welcome back, dude?  :buck2:

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »

To be fair, Sylly, you did list yourself as a 35 year old desert-dweller... ;) Also, HELLO!!

slyvia k

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »

i had totally forgotten about that hahahah
i want to hug you all! i missed you guys. :')

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »

I'm wondering if the Grand Theft Orchestra should be added to the header on the Box. Michael, Chad and Jherek are part of the family now.

However, Amanda did call this the "Dresden Dolls" forum several times in the Storywheel interview. Is there some thought that the GTO will have its own forum?

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »

Is there some thought that the GTO will have its own forum?
that would be really impractical i think!

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »

I agree but I do wonder about the plan for folding this all in together especially if we BEAT BIEBER on Billboard. Can you imagine this forum if (when) "Do It with a Rock Star" was a big hit? I'm interested in how it will scale. It's great to see so many newbies from the Kickstarter!

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »

I agree but I do wonder about the plan for folding this all in together especially if we BEAT BIEBER on Billboard. Can you imagine this forum if (when) "Do It with a Rock Star" was a big hit? I'm interested in how it will scale. It's great to see so many newbies from the Kickstarter!
i'm intrigued too. i want Amanda to have all the success that she deserves, but i hope she can cope with all the extra work that will be required to take care of us in a similar way as she's been doing all these years

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »

i'm intrigued too. i want Amanda to have all the success that she deserves, but i hope she can cope with all the extra work that will be required to take care of us in a similar way as she's been doing all these years

she has already mentioned this as a concern. it's very valid. i don't think the signings will continue and maybe not even ninja gigs... but that said, i think her fan base is going to grow A LOT but she'll never appeal to the mainstream because she is too risky and "out there". they might like her music but they won't understand everything else that she stands for. there are seriously people on this planet who are shallow enough that they don't like her purely for the fact she has armpit hair.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »

were any posts lost during today's downtime? i distinctly remember i posted amanda's tweet about the Billboard success on the charts thread but it's not there anymore!

EDIT
i noticed a few more posts of mine missing. also the same thing happened with the stats of the app. weird!

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »

were any posts lost during today's downtime? i distinctly remember i posted amanda's tweet about the Billboard success on the charts thread but it's not there anymore!

EDIT
i noticed a few more posts of mine missing. also the same thing happened with the stats of the app. weird!
Yep, I lost a post on the What has AFP inspired you to do thread. It was a nice one too...

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

EDIT
Yep, I lost a post on the What has AFP inspired you to do thread. It was a nice one too...

oh no!i'd read that and i remember thinking that it was very well put together

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »

I signed into Gaga's Little Monsters forum/site and I have to say it's quite impressive. Very heavily image-focused, kind of like a tumblr but really well done and worth checking out as a fan interaction tool. Fans have their own mini-sites inside the domain and cross post photos and use tags... Anyway, while the Box probably wouldn't want to go that way, one feature I really enjoy is the weekly newsletter. It highlights outstanding contributions to the board/community, features certain fans and calls out events. Again, not something we have the bandwidth to do, but every time I get one I think Damn, this is cool.

Punkrokgirl73

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

Brillant!  I say Simply Brilliant!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up