THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pen & Paper RPing  (Read 1059 times)

SpookyTwigg

• Slave to the
Pen & Paper RPing
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »

So how many people here are into Pen & Paper role playing?

How often do you play? What do you play? Which has been your favourite to play?

Yep, it's lots of questions but I'm intrigued.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
Re: Pen & Paper RPing
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »

I don't, but I really, really want to. There's a gaming society at university here but they're all super-cliquey and gross and weird, and most of my friends aren't interested in it. But then, I'm starting out on a new group of friends and some of them might be more interested, or at least willing to give it a go. One of my new housemates is the president of the sci-fi society and another one has just constructed an online RP for some of his mates, so mayhaps there's some fertile ground there.

How exactly does it work? It seems more sociable than internet RPing. Honestly, the only ideas I have about it are probably hopelessly clichéd ideas about Dungeon Masters and people dressed up as elves xD

Also, I realise that answering to this thread when I can't answer any of your questions might seem a bit daft, but I want to talk about it! And hear other people talk about it! You could answer your own questions? I'm curious.

SpookyTwigg

• Slave to the
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »

It's loads of fun, but I will admit that we found it hard to get started on. Our group kinda just crashed together through several of us wanting to play but not really knowing where to start. One of the guys we didn't know at all and now he's been storyteller for 2 of our games (and probably the best one at it out of us aswell).

It starts with creating a character and goes on from there, I mean each group will be different (mine is a pretty relaxed one) but we spend most of our time sat around eating pizza, getting into the story and occasionally rolling dice.

Some groups/games will be more dice rolling and game play, others will be mostly role play with a little bit of gaming.

For your first go at it is suggest having people who've plated a few games before and you cab pretty much learn as you go along. when we started our group 3 years ago I was a complete newbie. But I'd you have a simple character and people who don't mind showing you the ropes it can be quite easy to pick it all up.

To answer my own questions I'be been playing every Friday for about 3 years now and I really enjoy it.

I've played Serenity (based on the firefly series/serenity film), cyberpunk 2020, don't rest your head, Dungeons and Dragons (a funky version of 3.5 bastardized by our ref) and I've just finished of being the storyteller in a Call of Cthulhu game.

So far cyberpunk had been my favourite as it was tonnes of fun, Cthulhu was my least favourite cause I didn't enjoy being the story teller (its a really good game I just suck at being in control.)

Hope that all made sense and/or answered your question a little.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

How often do you play?´

Once a year. In the past 2 years my friends and I tried to play every two weeks or so, but that did not work. We started two different adventures in two diffirents settings, though both were Storyteller system - one Werewolf (2nd edition) and the other Vampire in Ancient Rome.   

What do you play? Which has been your favourite to play?

Usually, Storyteller, Cyberpunk 2020,  GURPS, D&D 3rd, Crepúsculo (a Brazilian setting and system) and CoC (the BST system). Sometimes someone brings a different system or setting and we try it. My friends also play Vikings, which is a set for D20 - also Brazilian.

My favourites had been Cyberpunk and CoC. I love both playing and narrating them.

To be honest, I dont think I will ever play RPG like I used to. Life is different now from then. I barely have time to take care of myself or go out for a couple of beers, guess stand five hours or so playing one single game - with other people with five hours available .

How exactly does it work? It seems more sociable than internet RPing. Honestly, the only ideas I have about it are probably hopelessly clichéd ideas about Dungeon Masters and people dressed up as elves xD

Imo, anything in person is more sociable than playing online. But in honest, it is sociable as far as how shy and social awkward the group is. If you are on a group of people with different backgrounds and mixed temper/personality, it may lead into more socialization, since after each playing it is (or at least was for some people I know) to go out and drink some booze, or eat something outside the house. Also, if you used to meet new gamers on your local store, you'd be always getting in touch with different people from your regular group, specially during conferences.

For my own experience, all I can say is that I was really shy, didnt drink anything alcoholic back then and wouldnt go out at night for "experiencing life".  The bottom line means it all depends.

As how it works, think it as a text based game:

The person responsible for the story will have something planned - a storyline (not necessary that straight forward, and always with a back up plan), foes, challenges, non-playing  characters (not necessary enemies).  This person will tell you the stories more or less like in text games "you are in John Doe's house. There is a paint in the wall that looks a little misplaced. What do you do?" . And them, the person/group tells what to do. 

When it is something unexpected or that would need some extra effort from the person in real world, you roll the dice according to the rules system you are playing.  So, if my character does have an ordinary ability to swim, but because it is a river with a strong flow, I have to test if I really can cross the boards.   

Characters are just like characters: you have to set up a background for it, what it can do or not, what are its special abilities, how does it looks like, the temperament, etc. Of course, many of these things depends on the setting you are going to play on.

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »

This... sounds... brilliant!

I've mentioned playing text adventures on the Box recently, and this sounds like basically a cooler version of that. I must consult the chums...

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »

I haven't played in YEARS....  Kinda miss it, but the last ref I played with (D&D)
was kinda lame, and I just never went back to that group.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 01:11:32 AM »

This... sounds... brilliant!

I've mentioned playing text adventures on the Box recently, and this sounds like basically a cooler version of that. I must consult the chums...

We usually/used to call text books "solo adventures" here, due its RPG nature. Also because there was a magazine (back on the golden days) dedicated to the RPG scene that published short stories adventures. Some were really lame, but others were great. My first contact with Cthulhu and its weirdness was in a solo adventure. 
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

SpookyTwigg

• Slave to the
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »

I haven't played in YEARS....  Kinda miss it, but the last ref I played with (D&D)
was kinda lame, and I just never went back to that group.
You should definitely try and find a new group, when ours has had the balance just right its been the highlight of my week. (yes, I am a sad, sad man.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up