THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sexism/bigotry in the gamer community  (Read 3026 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
sexism/bigotry in the gamer community
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

let me point out that I'm not a gamer. However, this topic has been the subject of much heated discussion at a couple of different forums that I visit over the last few months. If you have the time, tell me what you think of this, particularly in relation to what you see in the gamer community. Thanks.

http://jezebel.com/5938972/a-call-to-arms-for-decent-men?post=52425635

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
Re: sexism/bigotry in the gamer community
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »

I've been threatened with rape, murder and arson. I've been told that I am fat (yeah, so?), ugly, a lesbian (not an insult but they seem to think it is). They seem to hunt in packs too. One will start and all the others will join in. There is fuck all you can do about it so you ignore them as best you can.
Call of Duty is the worst I've seen for it but you get assholes everywhere from Fable to Halo.

I know women who have been tracked down via their gamertags and harassed on FB and by telephone. I have stopped playing online as much as I used to, it stops being enjoyable when you are fighting off dickheads instead of bosses.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Tiervexx

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »

That was a good article and I've seen other pieces on the subject that are all accurate.  It seems to me that shooters have the nastiest little assholes though there are jerks everywhere.

I think that the two best solutions to the problem are for more mature people to mock the people being cruel and for moderators to ban the worst offenders.

Oh, and I think that the shitheads who threaten rape should have their real names and pictures published somewhere.  People have had to register as sex offenders for less.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »

I've been threatened with rape, murder and arson. I've been told that I am fat (yeah, so?), ugly, a lesbian (not an insult but they seem to think it is). They seem to hunt in packs too. One will start and all the others will join in. There is fuck all you can do about it so you ignore them as best you can.
Call of Duty is the worst I've seen for it but you get assholes everywhere from Fable to Halo.

I know women who have been tracked down via their gamertags and harassed on FB and by telephone. I have stopped playing online as much as I used to, it stops being enjoyable when you are fighting off dickheads instead of bosses.

It boggles the mind that the companies who run these online games don't bring the hammer down on the loser fucks.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:54:23 AM »

It boggles the mind that the companies who run these online games don't bring the hammer down on the loser fucks.
Ya mean.... the loser fucks who buy their games?  Yes, the victims are customers too,
but smaller in number.......  If they'd enforced a TOS standard that addressed this sort
of thing from the get-go, everyone would be better off, but if they just-start now, it'll
piss off a certain group of undesirables and cost the hosts money.

See also: biting, hand that feeds
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 02:00:38 AM »

Ya mean.... the loser fucks who buy their games?  Yes, the victims are customers too,
but smaller in number.......  If they'd enforced a TOS standard that addressed this sort
of thing from the get-go, everyone would be better off, but if they just-start now, it'll

Other than having a mod on every server there is no way to police it. They'll never pay for that and the asshats would always find a way around it. I don't love the idea of server police. We've all seen what can happen when someone gets a little mod happy, it isn't fun.

Other gamers need to start calling the douchebags out. Plenty of "nice" guys will sit there listening to a female player get abused and they won't say a word for fear of being dubbed a white knight. Maybe if they hardened the fuck up a bit and called their fellow penis owners out on their bullshit there would be less of it.   

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Tiervexx

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »

On a more light hearted note, I've noticed that a very common misogynist thing men seem to do to women (both in and outside of the gamer community) is to offer really condescending advice and help that they'd never think a man needed.  It's sad because many men who do this really think they are being nice and often have trouble understanding why a woman might take offense.

What's worse is when they offer a trivial bit of help then immediately follow it up with a proposition.  Then when the woman refuses they conclude that you must be such an ungrateful bitch!  OBVIOUSLY she should sleep with you for that 1 minute of half-assed, unsolicited "help".

Miranda.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »

I've never played a shooter, but I played WoW for more years than I would like to admit. Maybe MMORPGs are different than shooters because my experiences were kind of the opposite. I got special treatment because I was a girl. People were willing to help me do things; they wanted to play with me (errr play WoW w/ me). I had friends whose guilds would invite me to do things over their own members (I wasn't a terrible player so that prob helped some lol). There was one player who spoke down to me, but I always felt like that was because he had a problem with my husband. I had a position of authority in a few different guilds, I lead raids and dungeons and never had someone confront me or complain about me being a girl. If anything I felt like females where much more hostile than males.
I could live for nothing but kissing.

5 points to the house of your choosing for awesome crochet skills.

Tiervexx

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »

I've never played a shooter, but I played WoW for more years than I would like to admit. Maybe MMORPGs are different than shooters because my experiences were kind of the opposite. I got special treatment because I was a girl. People were willing to help me do things; they wanted to play with me (errr play WoW w/ me). I had friends whose guilds would invite me to do things over their own members (I wasn't a terrible player so that prob helped some lol). There was one player who spoke down to me, but I always felt like that was because he had a problem with my husband. I had a position of authority in a few different guilds, I lead raids and dungeons and never had someone confront me or complain about me being a girl. If anything I felt like females where much more hostile than males.

I played WoW for quite a while as well and I think that RPG communities are nicer in general than many others.  I think part of it might be that you have less anonymity.  You identify more as your character.  It also helps that the GM's in those games will actually ban people for bad behavior.

By comparison shooters are total anarchy.  Poor moderation and people can switch identities effortlessly without losing much investment.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »

Worst I've had are the duelists who only play MMORPGs for PVP. IN Champions Online, I have a Comedian clone (called The Funny Guy), Nite Owl clone (call The Twilight Hooter), and a few custom heroes, like Biohazard who just stands there and kills everything around with radiation/poison).

I have this guy challenge me to a duel. I decline. He challenges again, I decline, this time telling him, "no, thank you"

Again he challenges me. I decline, this time telling him, "I've declined your duel invite three times and have told you no two times. Is something about my answer unclear?"

To which he answers, "Well, why not? Are you scared?"

I replied back, "Sonny, I'm at least twice your age and don't have the patience to deal with folks who fit into the textbook definition of harassment. This chat log has been attached to the report I just sent to the moderators."

He got defensive, "Why'd you do that? I didn't do anything!"

I merely responded, "Bye, now. Do your homework!"

Félix Marqués

• ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »

Other than having a mod on every server there is no way to police it. They'll never pay for that and the asshats would always find a way around it. I don't love the idea of server police. We've all seen what can happen when someone gets a little mod happy, it isn't fun.

Other gamers need to start calling the douchebags out. Plenty of "nice" guys will sit there listening to a female player get abused and they won't say a word for fear of being dubbed a white knight. Maybe if they hardened the fuck up a bit and called their fellow penis owners out on their bullshit there would be less of it.   

I love how you put that.

And yeah, people should be able to stand up against harassment without fearing they'll be seen as wanting to be the Nice Guy... and without actually wanting to be seen as such.

Tiervexx

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »

Worst I've had are the duelists who only play MMORPGs for PVP. IN Champions Online, I have a Comedian clone (called The Funny Guy), Nite Owl clone (call The Twilight Hooter), and a few custom heroes, like Biohazard who just stands there and kills everything around with radiation/poison).

I have this guy challenge me to a duel. I decline. He challenges again, I decline, this time telling him, "no, thank you"

Again he challenges me. I decline, this time telling him, "I've declined your duel invite three times and have told you no two times. Is something about my answer unclear?"

To which he answers, "Well, why not? Are you scared?"

I replied back, "Sonny, I'm at least twice your age and don't have the patience to deal with folks who fit into the textbook definition of harassment. This chat log has been attached to the report I just sent to the moderators."

He got defensive, "Why'd you do that? I didn't do anything!"

I merely responded, "Bye, now. Do your homework!"

nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up