THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: THEATRE IS EVIL DOWNLOAD NOT WORKING  (Read 5517 times)

Astro68

Re: THEATRE IS EVIL DOWNLOAD NOT WORKING
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

Are the people who complain about lack of a lossless download for the KS album really able to hear the difference between 320 MP3 and FLAC? There are programs freely available on the internet that will allow you to test yourself.

I've tested myself before and I can't hear the difference, even when listening with high quality Westone headphones.

If you can really hear the difference, more power to you; but I honestly wonder if all these complaints about lack of lossless aren't a bit of unjustified snobbery. The again, maybe I'm just an audio philistine.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 01:05:59 AM »

i can't even hear the difference between 256kbps and FLAC, but i'm guessing most people have in mind the idea that they want to have the songs exactly as they're recorded in the studio.i couldn't complain though. i even compressed my mp3s further.

d514

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »

Are the people who complain about lack of a lossless download for the KS album really able to hear the difference between 320 MP3 and FLAC? There are programs freely available on the internet that will allow you to test yourself.
It depends on the type of music. Sometimes I can hear a difference, sometimes not.

But that's not the point. In this thread alone 2 or 3 people said they converted their 320 mp3s to aac (itunes) or lower bitrate mp3. That really degrades the quality. Never transcode from one lossy format to another, the quality get's always worse (even if you go from low bitrate to high bitrate)! From FLAC you can go to any format you want in the best possible quality.

Also I'd like to burn the bonus tracks to CD and I simply don't like mp3 sourced CDs. Yes, I know that may sound strange...

Astro68

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »

To me, there seems to be a great deal of musical and vocal distortion on TIE, particularly certain songs. I'm fairly certain this was an intentional decision made by the band & producer. Much of it lends to the 80's sound that has been achieved. The problem is that it becomes hard to tell if the sound is distorted due to compression or if it is intentional. My thoughts are that this is not the type of music that people are really going to be able to hear a difference between high quality MP3, FLAC and CD, although the potential is there on something like THR. I am looking forward to my CD arriving to see if I can hear any differences between it and the MP3.

BTW- NikosGr, I really like your Art/Not Art photo. It brings to mind Magritte's 'Treachery of Images'

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »

To me, there seems to be a great deal of musical and vocal distortion on TIE, particularly certain songs. I'm fairly certain this was an intentional decision made by the band & producer. Much of it lends to the 80's sound that has been achieved. The problem is that it becomes hard to tell if the sound is distorted due to compression or if it is intentional. My thoughts are that this is not the type of music that people are really going to be able to hear a difference between high quality MP3, FLAC and CD, although the potential is there on something like THR. I am looking forward to my CD arriving to see if I can hear any differences between it and the MP3.

BTW- NikosGr, I really like your Art/Not Art photo. It brings to mind Magritte's 'Treachery of Images'

The bonus tracks in question were recorded in 2007 and don't have the same production.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »

thank you, i haven't thought of that. my inspiration was mainly my instagram feed and what people tend to photograph. almost anything can look good if you use the right filter, but at the same time our brain works in filters and that is where subjectivity falls into place. what's art for me is not art for you, etc

faninor

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »

I honestly wonder if all these complaints about lack of lossless aren't a bit of unjustified snobbery.
In nearly all situations, I can't hear the difference between FLAC, 320kbps MP3, or V0 MP3. At least not with the speakers or headphones that I currently own. I can just barely hear the difference with V2 MP3, but not enough to really bother me. If I start going from MP3 to lower bitrate AAC and compare that to the same bitrate AAC made from a lossless file, it starts to become easier to hear differences. Who knows if I might upgrade my listening equipment later and find that the differences are more apparent? Not me if I encode everything and toss the lossless copies first. O0

Space is a limiting factor on my iPod and anything over V2 is just beyond the point of diminishing returns. I usually compromise and use lower bitrate AAC for most music -- I think AAC does better at low bitrates. I bought the backer edition CD and I perhaps naively thought that it might have even included a 2nd disc with the bonus material. I figured the download surely would come in FLAC since every other Amanda Palmer music I've bought online did. But it did not.

Would I have still paid as much as I did if I knew this was the case? Yes, but as a fan and customer I feel like I should share my opinion that I preferred the format options that had been available with all of my previous purchases. I think that Amanda and her people would appreciate this feedback too.

I'm glad to hear I can find 4 of the bonus tracks in FLAC. It is odd to make that option available to the people who pay at least $1 for the album now, but not for the people who paid at least $5 through kickstarter for the deluxe digital download.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

honestly, i'll be surprised if there isn't a flac solution. amanda&team are aware of the demand which is probably a big reason they've used bandcamp so extensively.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Félix Marqués

• ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »

^ I am actually a bit confused about why they've used TopSpin instead of Bandcamp.

I mean, for the release and Kickstarter pre-orders it makes sense but just to sell the record? Bandcamp takes a percentage of the money, but they have to pay TopSpin too. Does anyone know what makes it better?

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 01:33:07 AM »

^ I am actually a bit confused about why they've used TopSpin instead of Bandcamp.

I mean, for the release and Kickstarter pre-orders it makes sense but just to sell the record? Bandcamp takes a percentage of the money, but they have to pay TopSpin too. Does anyone know what makes it better?
i think on bandcamp you have to deal with the codes yourself, so that would add a tremendous amount of extra work for amanda's team

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »

It's just kinda funny, I guess, since Amanda said she crowd-funded it because this album had to be in good quality, then it's released in mp3 with quite dodgy mixing (no, not talking about the vocal filters)
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »

according to some kickstarter comments, Topspin is sending download codes for FLAC files of the deluxe edition upon request

d514

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »

according to some kickstarter comments, Topspin is sending download codes for FLAC files of the deluxe edition upon request

Yes, they did! Thank you for posting this!

Mitholas

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »

^Yup, I emailed them too and now have Flacs. Nice!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up