THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Grand Theft Controversy  (Read 8719 times)

Mitholas

Re: The Grand Theft Controversy
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

Well, for the complainers: they've taken money out of other budgets, like the video budget, to pay the volunteers, indeed completely defeating the idea of volunteering.

Musings

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »

complainers

I prefer the term "Shadowbox and blog commenter activists".

And... I think what Amanda did is awesome.  The willingness to change based on feedback is a sign of maturity and respect for the feedback you are getting (this is, of course, if the feedback is respectful on its own).

And actually, because folks volunteered without knowing the monetary benefits, it works.  I think, additionally, it doesn't diminish people who will sign up in future gigs -- Amanda and her staff were hiring based on applications, and I think they will be able to tell from the emails and the application whether the person is a good fit and their heart is in the right place. 

As Amanda storms into 10th place on the Billboards, it's great that the talk is shifting back to her success and her positive changes to the music industry.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »

Well, for the complainers: they've taken money out of other budgets, like the video budget, to pay the volunteers, indeed completely defeating the idea of volunteering.
This goes back to my original comment, and the sense I don't think I conveyed later:

If she truly wants "volunteers" - the kinds of friends, family and fans who've added to the spectacle
of DD/AFP shows (on-stage and brigading before the show) since before I heard of the Dolls - and
she's willing to accept for herself and her audience the occasional sloppiness that comes from that
sort of recruiting, then soliciting unpaid folks is just fine, and the show will be that much more "fun"
at the cost of some degree of "quality".

If she wants professionals though, who are going to come to rehearsals, start/stop where they're
supposed to, and hit all the right notes (but probably not have so much fun as the people in the
"Jeep Song" chorus a few years ago), those people have every right to expect to be paid, because
they're WORKING.

Clearly I haven't sat down and discussed this with Ms. Palmer, and I don't know what dynamic she's
looking for.  My concern is that everyone's on the same page - It's her band, her tour, but are the
guest-musicians (paid or unpaid) and the audience all sharing the same expectation of what's going
in and what they can expect to come out?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up