THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speaking out  (Read 1700 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
speaking out
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »

I read this:   http://io9.com/5944493/do-women-speak-less-when-when-there-are-more-men-around?post=52814164

and was struck by how many men said they had the same problem in reverse. this ever happen to any of you?

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
Re: speaking out
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

I've had to think on this.  Part of me is full of bravado, and I'd pretend to have confidence and talk.  Knowing me the way that I do, that could turn into either a real conversation or decline into an argument because sometimes I'm not able to steer a conversation away from a tragic nose dive.   
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

Miranda.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

"Specifically, when women are outnumbered by men, groups should use unanimous rule. When women are a large majority, they should decide by majority rule. Moreover, group compositions should be avoided with few women and majority rule, while groups should be assembled with a supermajority of women and majority rule. And to maximize women's participation, groups should be assembled with an equal proportion of men to women."

I have a hard time agreeing with this. It is unfortunate that women feel like they can't speak when they are outnumbered but catering to that hesitation is only indulging the behavior. How will women learn to speak their opinions if it is easier for them to stay silent. Women should be encouraged to speak up not given circumstances so that it is easier for them to not have to. If women want equal opportunity and equal treatment then we should act and expect to be treated as equals. Making special provisions to help women feel more comfortable may be a kind gesture but it seems a but misguided to me.

I also feel like it should be pointed out that Brigham Young University is owned/run by the LDS Church and (according to wikipedia 98% of students are LDS - who knows how accurate that is). The LDS church is going to preach a lifestyle where women are subservient to some degree. Are we really surprised that these women don't feel secure enough to speak up when they are faced with a male majority?
I could live for nothing but kissing.

5 points to the house of your choosing for awesome crochet skills.

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:46:29 AM »

tainted information pool for sure.  I based my response on just how I am, I was never very well received. So I lean toward meekness because I trained myself to just blend in, I have worked my way out of that, but it's still a very real impulse.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:14 AM »

I talk a lot, regardless of who I'm around. I used to be quieter but now I chatter very much. It seems odd that this is a gendered thing, though, but then what isn't in western society.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

hybridhydrogencell

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:18:01 AM »

I am better talking to men, i find them less shallow and judgemental, at least in my college, i do have a group o female friends i love talking to but that is it, i suck at socializing with other females  :-\

Niels

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »

I'm awful at talking to other guys. I don't know how it happens, but all my friends are female. Most of those girls are lesbians... Why am I not a lesbian? life would be so much easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up