THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Vancouver show & a post on Neil Gaiman's tumblr  (Read 2399 times)

NinjaRamona

• Tumblr blog
Re: Vancouver show & a post on Neil Gaiman's tumblr
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/32265894589/neil-a-friend-bought-me-tickets-to-go-see-amanda-in

Thinking about this post, I thought it would be a great idea to have people who are going to the Vancouver show introduce themselves. A friend and I are going, and while we're very excited, I think it would be even better if the concert felt like a family going in. It already does, of course, since it's Amanda Palmer and she excels at making everyone feel like a family. But I think it would be fantastic if everyone arrived already "knowing" a bunch of the people.

I'll start. I'm Alanna, I'm 22, and my friend Kaitlyn and I are coming from Victoria (a ferry ride away from Vancouver). I'm most excited to see Amanda play her new album, but I'll be thrilled if she plays my WKAP and Dresden Dolls favourites. I'm really looking forward to meeting other fans and making new friends. Another thing that seems to be a phenomenon at her shows. I can't believe I'll actually be seeing her in person... it's mind-blowing!

Rubius0

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »

Why not?  Hi Alanna, I'm Kristina and I'm 32.  I'm from Vancouver but I have no one to hang out with at the concert.  I was kinda looking for someone to share the event/experience with and when I saw Neil's post, I wanted to comment here.  I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends.  Any chance anyone wants to kinda 'meet' before we all go in and it gets chaotic?

It should be a great evening.  I'm totally looking forward to it.

Musictwig

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »

Hi folks,
I'm Raymonde (Rae for short) and I'm travelling from Winnipeg.  It'll be my first Amanda Palmer show and I'm going by myself.  I have one person I met via Twitter that I might meet up with before the show, but it would be fun to "know" a few more people before I get there!

Music and singing do not produce in the heart that which is not in it. (Abu Sulaiman Al-davani)

BitterlyAlice

Re: Re: Vancouver show & a post on Neil Gaiman's tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:07:51 AM »

*Waves shyly*
The tumblr post was mine.  Hello everyone.  I actually DO have someone to go to the show with (the same friend who bought me the ticket) but I would love to have more people to say hello to, and possibly hide behind, so that I'm not looking at a...whole...crowd...of...strangers...
Deep breath.
This will be awesome, right? 
My name's Mary.  I'm actually on the Island as well, but in Nanaimo.  I'm twenty-three...not sure what else to say here.  I am very, very excited about the show, and also very, very determined not to have panic attacks.  So, yes.  I would love to meet up with people beforehand.  Even if we all go our separate ways during the show, it would be neat to start out with a bit of a group.

cottonsocks

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »

Hello

I'm coming from the Island too (via Australia) and traveling solo. I would love to meet up for a bevie and a hello before the show. Not being familiar with Vancouver I can't suggest a suitable place, but perhaps someone who knows the area can? Or even better some amazing vegetarian joint nearby?

(Actually, tips for places to find good vego food anywhere in Van would be greatly appreciated here - it's a drag being in a big city where you know there is good food but you can't find it.)

Also, if anyone is interested there is a wicked Cabaret duo - the ever-fabulous Wet Spots - playing a show on Friday night. A fucking great act! I saw them at the Adelaide Fringe and they blew my mind. (NB: There's a pun in there). Here's a link: https://riotheatretickets.ca/venues/4/events/159-the-wet-spots-east-side-spectacular-an-outrageous-adult-variety-show. If you're interested in checking it out let me know as I'm for sure going. It's a good price too.

Thanks to Lady Shy for getting us all chatting - you are clearly more powerful than you imagine. And, thanks to the person who started the thread.

iamed2

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »

Howdy all. I am Eric.

I'm also from Winnipeg (though I've been living in Vancouver since May); I believe I am the aforementioned Twitter fellow. First AFP show, and super-pumped that it happened to be in Vancouver when I happened to be in Vancouver. I'm 21, since we appear to be doing the age thing.

Definitely interested in the Wet Spots, and preshow roundup. Those with Twitter can catch me @iamed2, but I'll check this thread too.

I know a few good vegetarian spots, but most aren't near the venue. There's plenty in Vancouver though, so you'll have no problem. :)

Musictwig

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

Wow, I feel like the mama of the group at my advanced age of 40! Lol

Has anyone come up with a spot to meet up before the show? 
Music and singing do not produce in the heart that which is not in it. (Abu Sulaiman Al-davani)

cottonsocks

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »

I don't think yet ... I have no idea where to suggest.

Didn't make it to the Wet Spots, my day got outta hand. Hope anyone who did go had (is having) fun.

(I'm closer to ya in age Musictwig.)

ericalee

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »

Hey. i'm erica about 29-ish, also coming from victoria.... i'll be bringing my wife and possibly a little brother type friend of hers.  i'm thinking that this show should've been on the island!  anyone else have a hell of a time finding a place to stay with the film festival happening starting this weekend too?!  we ended up finding a shady hostel, but a bed is a bed.

cableknitundies

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »

Hey, I'm Sheila, 21, and (as is the going trend) I'm also originally from the Island. Could you imagine Amanda playing at Alix Goolden Hall?...*sigh*...dreams. Anyway, regarding tonight there isn't much that I know of near the venue that would serve as a good meeting place, there's Cinema, a generic bar with comfy seating almost right across the street, or depending on the weather maybe gathering even at the art gallery steps or something would suffice. If anyone's got input let me know, looking forward to seeing all your faces tonight!

Also, anyone dressing up?

Musictwig

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »

Eric & I are meeting up at Nuba Restaurant on W. Hastings for dinner @ 5:30.  Anyone who wants to can join us.  We're going early so we can get in as we don't have a reservation.  Lebanese food w/vegan options.

Meeting up at the art gallery steps around 7:00-7:30 seems like a good plan.  0n the Robson side?  Then we can decide on drinks from there?

Musictwig

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »

Forgot to mention that I'm wearing a red dress, black boots & black leather jacket, so you can find me in the crowd!

cottonsocks

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »

oops, missed this. i'll try and find you. no internet access now though so it's on luck! glad i checked in.

rock. (i'm excited!)

NinjaRamona

• Tumblr blog
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 05:35:03 AM »

Awww, I didn't look at this thread again before the concert so I missed the meetup. How'd it go? Did anyone dress up? My friend and I both wore corsets, which looked fabulous but made rocking out slightly more dignified than it otherwise might have been.

Anyone know if Amanda came out after the show? We were looking for her but had to leave, and didn't know if she tends to hang out or not.

Musictwig

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »

Dinner took longer than I thought it would, so I was too late for the meetup.  Did anyone else find each other?

cistle

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »

I didn't see this until after the show, but I am also from Victoria! I went with my very tall boyfriend and my best friend with blue hair. We are also from Victoria, so if other Victorians want to be friends, then let me know! :D

NinjaRamona

• Tumblr blog
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »

*wave* Yes! Definitely! My twitter is https://twitter.com/NinjaRamona and my tumblr is http://momentsofinfinity.tumblr.com/. Pretty sure the best way to meet new friends is through a mutual love of Amanda Palmer. <3

cistle

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »

I am going to add you to Twitter! I am icedragon62 on there. I'll tweet you :3

ericalee

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »

heck yea, local Victoria fan friends!  i'm @ericaeveritt  on the twitt.  fyi, i'm very boring and complain a lot!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up