THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: furry friends  (Read 20153 times)

Miranda.

furry friends
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »

I think we need an animal thread cause everyone likes animals! (ok most everyone) What is your favorite animal? Cool animal encounters? Wanna share pictures of fuzzy baby animals? Lets do this!

ps If there is already something in place for this please let me know. I didn't see a thread already in place.

These are the Cheetahs from the Houston zoo. The 1st Wednesday of each month they do a "Cheetah Walk"  where you get to join the Cheetahs on their morning walk & then take a "behind the scenes" look at the cheetah exhibit. (the video is not the Cheetah Walk)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r0sstxte-QY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r0sstxte-QY</a>

The zoo also does "Cat Training Windows" where you take a tour of the small cat exhibits & then you get to talk to the trainers for the big cats (lions or tigers) & feed the cats!!! My husband surprised me with this for our anniversary last year & it was incredible. (I may have cried... I REALLY like big cats)

I could live for nothing but kissing.

5 points to the house of your choosing for awesome crochet skills.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: furry friends
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »

Nice kittehz!  (Their friend the Anatolian shepherd looks like a bit less of a sprinter...  ;D )

There was a time, long ago when every other day or so, someone would reply to a post:

THE SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND..... (often followed by mean-face smileys)

Those people were generally snarky and mean, but if you knew to search for "Pets",
and to look down the list a bit, you could find the "Box Pets" thread. However, since
these do not appear to be your pets, it wouldn't really fit.... but I suppose we could
change the title, since there's probably no need for separate pets and non-pet-animals
threads....  or is there?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Miranda.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »

I searched for animal but nothing that seemed appropriate really came up. I knew there was a pet thread (I think I posted on it) but I wasn't sure these should go there since unfortunately they aren't mine. I think changing the other thread title & combining would work brilliantly. That is assuming this doesn't end up the only new post with animals :P

Rose

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

Why do the cheetahs stay? Is it because they're so focused on the duck, and then so focused on the food, they don't think of leaving? Or are they just very polite/trained?

Because if they left, they'd be able to run as much as they want, and there's things even better than a stuffed duck to chase out in the world.
Until they get caught and possibly killed anyway.
But I don't think they know that.

If we're changing and combining should I not be posting right now? Should I wait until we combine?

Miranda.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »

I would imagine they are pretty domesticated now. They had on collar type things and that may deter them. Plus they were inside a track so even if they ran they couldn't get very far.

idk how changing/combining works soooo idk the answer to that lol

Rose

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »

Maybe the collar was like those invisible fence things that they use with dogs except better...

And I've never been to a horse track. I just kind of figured they'd be able to climb out somehow.

Big cats are my favorite too. I think I might visit Texas someday just to visit the Houston zoo and do the cat training...
We have a renaissance festival every summer, and they have this show, and it's the big cat show. They've got a white tiger, and a panther, and a leopard, and a couple of other cats. And this man comes out on a stage with them, and he's only got them with a chain around their neck (it's not a big, mean chain), and they're very well trained and he shows off how well they climb and stuff by sticking bits of meat on this big tree thing. And they get kind of playful and push him around but they never hurt him.
ANDISATINTHEFRONTROW last time! I was so close I could have touched the cat except I would have gotten in a lot of trouble! But it was AMAZING! They're so awe inspiring and beautiful, and being that close to something that powerful is so wonderful. That's one of the few things I don't think I'll forget.
It was awesome.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »

Miranda.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »

This poor baby wondered up to my office this morning. She is super skinny & looks like she might have ring worms or something.(She has small patches of fur missing in random places) I fed her pretty much all the food I had in my office and gave her some clean water. I tried to pet her (with a glove because of the fur missing) and she won't even let me get near her. If I ignore her she will walk beside me but if I face her or talk to her she flinches & kind of scoots away from me. I just want to take her home & cuddle her. I wish we had a no kill shelter nearby.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »

This poor baby wondered up to my office this morning. She is super skinny & looks like she might have ring worms or something.(She has small patches of fur missing in random places) I fed her pretty much all the food I had in my office and gave her some clean water. I tried to pet her (with a glove because of the fur missing) and she won't even let me get near her. If I ignore her she will walk beside me but if I face her or talk to her she flinches & kind of scoots away from me. I just want to take her home & cuddle her. I wish we had a no kill shelter nearby.

D'awww i just saw her on your twitter. She has such a pretty pretty face <3
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Miranda.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »

SHe is really really sweet! I secretly want to take her home a little bit

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »

I wish we could set up a huge shelter. The weather is freezing here and there are lots of dogs & cats outside, everyday i try to put some clean water and food for them in the garden. And though i do my best, i really wish there's something more to do.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Miranda.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »

That is so nice tho!! We have 2 animal shelters locally but they charge you like $50 to surrender an animal even if it is a stray & they are kill shelters so the dog has  just as good a chance wondering around as it would in the shelter. If I had the means I would take in all the strays!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »

She looks like a bull-mix, is there a pitbull rescue in your area?
Possibly someone here?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

Miranda.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »

She looks like a bull-mix, is there a pitbull rescue in your area?
Possibly someone here?

Thanks, Cee. Those mostly say they only take high risk animals from kill shelters. IDK what I'm going to do... We are supposed to go to San Antonio this weekend so I am trying to check out places between us and there. Maybe I will find someone!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12  All   Go Up