THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: another week, another mass shooting in the USA  (Read 16692 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
Re: another week, another mass shooting in the USA
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »

definitely sad, but remember, guns, like a stapler, machete, blowgun, or anything else are merely tools; it;s the person using them that determines whether they are used for good or evil purposes.

Miranda.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

I don't understand this. They are saying the shooter was only 24. And I don't understand if there are 2 shooters or 1? I don't even understand ... any of it.

Edit: someone tweeted this link Disaster Distress Helpline
I could live for nothing but kissing.

5 points to the house of your choosing for awesome crochet skills.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

The Shooter apparently had Mommy issues.

Miranda.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »

I could live for nothing but kissing.

5 points to the house of your choosing for awesome crochet skills.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »

This is horrible  :'(

definitely sad, but remember, guns, like a stapler, machete, blowgun, or anything else are merely tools; it;s the person using them that determines whether they are used for good or evil purposes.

"I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." Maslow.

Sorry but i still think it's bullshit to consider bearing deadly arms as a civil right. We're not robots, everybody has their own weak spots and inner conflicts, and there's no guarantee that you won't go nuts and shoot innocent people for your own good purposes or reasons.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »

I have kids the same age as the ones at that school and I can't imagine how terrified those kids were when they realised what was happening in a place that up until that point had been safe. When I saw the pictures of the kids being rushed out of the school I cried. They're just babies.

Every time there is an incident like this I see many Americans get defensive about their right to own guns. What about the right of people to not be shot and killed while going about their normal everyday lives? It blows my mind that because of one person taking a shoe bomb that killed no one on a plane everyone has to take their shoes off and have them checked before boarding now but after so many deaths there is no tighter gun control.

Yesterday in China a man attacked a group of school children and adults with a knife. 22 were wounded. Thankfully none died. If he'd had a gun things would have been very different, knives can kill people but guns are much more efficient.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

"I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." Maslow.

Sorry but i still think it's bullshit to consider bearing deadly arms as a civil right. We're not robots, everybody has their own weak spots and inner conflicts, and there's no guarantee that you won't go nuts and shoot innocent people for your own good purposes or reasons.

Ah yes,the old "Fuck those who can deal with the responsibility because some idiots couldn't."

That is a naive sentiment.

RoRi23

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »

Firearms are tools for killing. It seems self-evident to me that their number should be a low as possible.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »

Ah yes,the old "Fuck those who can deal with the responsibility because some idiots couldn't."

most of the laws and rules wouldn't exist if it wasn't for idiots without common sense...

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »

Firearms are tools for killing. It seems self-evident to me that their number should be a low as possible.

Perhaps the reasons behind the existing law is more to do with the fact that guns take in a lot of revenue; with licences and taxes and such.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 01:45:33 AM »

most of the laws and rules wouldn't exist if it wasn't for idiots without common sense...

Yeah, and people don't walk around with 'i'm an idiot', 'i'm a normal person' signs on their foreheads. And if you are the one to defend yourself in cases of rubbery or fight, then what's the use of the police departments and legal systems?
If we all have the right(!) to bear guns and maintain our security by ourselves, well then, welcome to the jungle. Don't send your kids to the school, you know it's not safe and nobody can educate them better than you do. Don't go to the hostpital if you have a broken arm, heal it by yourself.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Rose

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 03:35:33 AM »

Perhaps the reasons behind the existing law is more to do with the fact that guns take in a lot of revenue; with licences and taxes and such.
I'm pretty sure this is a huge part of it.

But I agree with Rori. Firearms are tools that were made for the singular purpose of killing.
If there were any other tool we had with such a base purpose, I would say we need to severely restrict how many of them are allowed in the public as well.
Our gun control laws are bullshit. There is barely any regulation and very little screening.

It would be a nightmare putting an effective and useful system of regulation in place, but it's very necessary, especially since it's ridiculous to think we can abolish guns completely.

And seriously, anyone who thinks that gun control laws don't need to be revamped and changed in a major (and more far more restrictive) way is an asshole. Having a right to bear whatever fucking arms you want doesn't supercede our rights to live peacefully and unmolested. Even if you are perfectly trustworthy, I can find twenty others who aren't quite so nice/sane/intelligent/younameit. If we were a society of meeting selfish needs, inherently and completely, I would understand the need to keep your guns.
We're a society of cooperation. If too many of us fail, the majority of us fails. So shooting holes in our children, creating a permanent atmosphere of fear, is in no way alright or conducive to a healthy society. And standing in the way of laws which common sense dictates will make it harder to do such things is pretty abhorrent.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »

There were actually two last week, there was a mall shooting as well as the school shooting.

Also, even if American people feel the need to have guns in their house in case someone tries to attack them in the night or whatever, what the hell to they need semi-automatics and things for? That's not sustainable hunting, and the only time you'd have that many people all breaking into your house would be if they were armed cops surrounding you, in which case you've probably already shot someone.

I think the main problem here is lack of education and the USA's gun culture. Consider Switzerland where basically everyone has a gun, but nothing like this happens. They think of guns as weapons, as opposed to toys that are cool because the constitution said so.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10  All   Go Up