THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: another week, another mass shooting in the USA  (Read 16605 times)

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
Re: another week, another mass shooting in the USA
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »

@N.U
Aye whatever dude. I know a lot of mentally ill people who go off on one but can't cause this much death and misery.
no fucker can stand by the sale of automatic weapons to the public. Anyone wants to play Rambo go join the fucking Marines.
Children shot 11 times each with bullets altered to fragment after impact.
Automatic fire. no chance of rushing/disarming the prick.
Tired of hearing America's excuses for this shit happening every year.

This.

I personally like the idea (to some degree) of the compromise that allows paranoid citizens to keep their guns that take >10 bullets and take a while to manually fire for when they go hunting, or if someone breaks into their home or whatever, but bans automatic weapons that spray shit-tonnes of bullets per minute, and that have absolutely no legal, practical use among civilians.

Can anyone quote the bit of the second amendment about guns? I haven't read it and I'm internet lazy :P
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »

Here it is, in all of it's grammatical horridness

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So badly written that 200+ years later we are still debating what in the flying fuck they meant.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »

Things are being done about heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, etc.
Nearly every single disease, illness, or condition on that list is being studied and researched on some level.
Medical advances are being made. The pharmaceutical companies come out with new drugs on a semi-regular basis, and due to the research that's been published, it's become easier to treat some of these diseases and conditions on a preventative level (as well as catch them early). For many of the conditions, it's entirely feasible to treat them holistically and without medication, due to being able to catch them early on.
There are constant PSAs for some of them - awareness in the public is being raised, so that people will (theoretically) take better care of their bodies in the first place.

It's ridiculous to make sweeping statements such as "we aren't doing a thing" about them. That's an incredibly flawed statement and it makes your whole position look weak.
You just proved literally nothing.

Are they talking about completely banning High Fructose Corn Syrup from all foods in a manner similar to the large drink ban imposed in NYC? it would go a long way towards cutting down diabetes.
How about banning every food that is shown to lead directly to heart disease?
What about banning alcohol due to it's direct link to cirrhosis of the liver?

Oh... now it becomes clear. Prohibition doesn't work.

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »

"comparing gun homicides in the U.S. to England and Wales in one year: 9,146 to forty-one. Even taking into account the difference in population, the rates of gun homicide per a hundred thousand people are 2.97 versus .07"

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/guns-and-the-limits-of-shame.html

Also, comparing food to guns is flawed. We need food to live but the only purpose of guns is death.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

target shooting. Hunting. Personal defense.

Also comparing anything in the US to the UK is fallacy. Just for starters, England has never had a culture where gun rights were supported in any official governmental way like the US. Second, the UK is an island nation, the US is not. It is much easier to keep prohibited items out of islands than one that shares borders. This is why Hawaii has such a great record with gun violence.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »

Nearly every single disease, illness, or condition on that list is being studied and researched on some level.
Medical advances are being made. The pharmaceutical companies come out with new drugs on a semi-regular basis, and due to the research that's been published, it's become easier to treat some of these diseases and conditions on a preventative level (as well as catch them early). For many of the conditions, it's entirely feasible to treat them holistically and without medication, due to being able to catch them early on.
There are constant PSAs for some of them - awareness in the public is being raised, so that people will (theoretically) take better care of their bodies in the first place.

It's ridiculous to make sweeping statements such as "we aren't doing a thing" about them. That's an incredibly flawed statement and it makes your whole position look weak.

Are they talking about completely banning High Fructose Corn Syrup from all foods in a manner similar to the large drink ban imposed in NYC? it would go a long way towards cutting down diabetes.

It's such a bad example that i'd rather consider it as a nonsense excuse. I can't see ordinary people saying "free corn syrup! it's our right". It's just some inglorious food manufacturers who defend and consider it as a harmless material.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

It's such a bad example that i'd rather consider it as a nonsense excuse. I can't see ordinary people saying "free corn syrup! it's our right". It's just some inglorious food manufacturers who defend and consider it as a harmless material.

Kind of like the NRA, eh?

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

How very fitting. From CNN's front page:

"NRA, in its first statement after the Newtown shootings, says it is prepared "to help make sure this never happens again" "

Sounds great, except they have guaranteed nothing.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »

It does when you apply it to assault weapons. Since we banned them we haven't had a single mass shooting.

http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/news/news/2006/Dec/061214.php
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »

Yeah, i don't know a lot about the history or sutructure of this association. But let me go with your above arguement; do you really think International Association of Operative Millers (For grain, mostly wheat flour) would disapprove the harmful substances which are used during the production of flour? Nobody gives a damn about your opinion unless you are an association or a big company who pays a shit ton of taxes and contributes to balance of trade.

Unfortunately, most of the governments don't have the balls to let such organizations and companies down.

Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »

Yeah, i don't know a lot about the history or sutructure of this association. But let me go with your above arguement; do you really think International Association of Operative Millers (For grain, mostly wheat flour) would disapprove the harmful substances which are used during the production of flour? Nobody gives a damn about your opinion unless you are an association or a big company who pays a shit ton of taxes and contributes to balance of trade.

Unfortunately, most of the governments don't have the balls to let such organizations and companies down.

The Corn lobby is every bit as powerful as the Gun lobby.

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »

Paranoid Americans clutching their weaponry instead of trusting their appointed officials to protect them.
I am writing this from Derry, N.Ireland where I know for a fact I am in a city with hundreds of illegal paramilitary weapons
no more than possibly 15minutes walk from my family home and guess what.
I sleep soundly. I sleep without the need for a glock on top of my copy of American Gods.

You are not Mad Max. You live in a sort of civilized society yet cling to the yeehaw gun toting days.
Fucking grow up. I am praying Obama continues to be a ballsy president and changes things for the better.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

It does when you apply it to assault weapons. Since we banned them we haven't had a single mass shooting.

http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/news/news/2006/Dec/061214.php
Island nation:

NOT an island nation:

It is infinitely easier to keep things out of island countries than it is countries that share borders.

Additionally, it says here the Australian government destroyed approx. 700,000 guns. The only guns that get destrouyed here are:

1. Old Military weapons that have been phased out (I got to personally help destroy the Army's old M-16 A-1's in BASIC training)

2. Weapons confiscated during a drug raid.

3. Weapons involved in gun crime that are not required to be held in evidence.

Barring altering the 2nd Amendment (it could happen), Australia's policy could not work in the US.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »

Paranoid Americans clutching their weaponry instead of trusting their appointed officials to protect them.
I am writing this from Derry, N.Ireland where I know for a fact I am in a city with hundreds of illegal paramilitary weapons
no more than possibly 15minutes walk from my family home and guess what.
I sleep soundly. I sleep without the need for a glock on top of my copy of American Gods.

You are not Mad Max. You live in a sort of civilized society yet cling to the yeehaw gun toting days.
Fucking grow up. I am praying Obama continues to be a ballsy president and changes things for the better.

President Obama has a D- rating from the Brady institute because of his lack of supporting any gun control legislation at any elected position he has held.

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »

NU why do you love the guns so much? Why hold on so tightly to something that takes life?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10  All   Go Up