THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 Academy Award nominations  (Read 2133 times)

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
2013 Academy Award nominations
« on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »

Emma Stone and Seth MacFarlane announced the nominees for the 2013 Academy Awards this morning. As expected Lincoln leads the pack with 12 total nominations, but there are a couple surprises thrown into the mix.
First of all, Leonardo DiCaprio was not nominated for his role in Django Unchained. Most critics and moviegoers thought this was going to be his year, but apparently not. Second, Ben Affleck (Argo), Tom Hooper (Les Miserables), and Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty) were not nominated for Best Director despite each of their films making the list for Best Picture. Also among the surprise snubs (imo) are Skyfall not being nominated for Best Picture and the complete snub of The Dark Knight Rises. It didn't even get nominated for Best Visual Effects, Original Score, or Sound Mixing.

The most pleasant surprise for me was 9-year old Quevenzhane Wallis landing a nomination for Best Actress for her role in Beasts of the Southern Wild. That makes her the youngest Oscar contender in the show's history. If she wins she will be the youngest Oscar winner of all time. I'm also happy to see Beasts of the Southern Wild got nominated for Best Picture.
I also find it cool that Frankenweenie and ParaNorman both landed nominations for Best Animated Feature. I was sure one or both of them would be left out. I am sure the statue will go to Brave or Wreck-It Ralph, but I would be more than excited if Frankenweenie took it.

Anyway, here is the full list of nominees!

http://fort-kick-ass.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-academy-award-nominations.html

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
Re: 2013 Academy Award nominations
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »

i have no dogs in this year's race...

I'm lookking forward to Fey and Poehler this Sunday though!

music box

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »

I'm looking forward to Fey and Poehler, too.  O0

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »

I was sorry to see that Moonrise Kingdom didn't get a Best Picture or Director nomination. It was my favorite film of last year and I commend it to everyone! If Wes Anderson is your cup of tea, this is his best work.

Anne Hathaway in Les Mis MUST win. She was brilliant.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

music box

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »

I am sure Anne Hathaway is going to win. She was fantastic.

I am expecting Lincoln to take as many statues as it is up for, though. That includes Best Picture.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

hmm i haven't seen any of the nominated films except for the hobbit! and i have been told that Life of Pi is reeaallly cheesy, so now i'm not sure if i should go see it.

anyway. the press over here are going crazy because an Austrian movie (Amour by Michael Haneke) is nominated in 5 categories (plus austrian actor Chrisoph Waltz is nomintaed for best support actor in django unchained... which i haven't seen, but no one can deny that he is a great actor...at least no one who's seen him in Inglorious Basterds)

so this is really unusual over here especially because the funding of films has been generally really neglected in austria (in contrast to funding of classical music for example...). i must say though that i find it idiotic to nominate one movie for best picture AND best foreign language film...? but everything i've seen from the director so far has been absolutely fantastic so i really cross my fingers with everyone else here and might even watch the oscars this year, which i usually never evvvvver do.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »

.. i must say though that i find it idiotic to nominate one movie for best picture AND best foreign language film...?
Why so?

I mean, if the best movie overall happens to be a "foreign-language" film, then it must
also be the best foreign-language film, right? [imagine a clever venn diagram here]  :coolsmiley:
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

music box

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »

I'm not surprised Amour was nominated in two categories because it has happened before. Remember when Toy Story 3 was nominated for both Best Picture and Best Animated Feature?

Miss Sahara

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »

.. i must say though that i find it idiotic to nominate one movie for best picture AND best foreign language film...?
Why so?

I mean, if the best movie overall happens to be a "foreign-language" film, then it must
also be the best foreign-language film, right? [imagine a clever venn diagram here]  :coolsmiley:

yes, but why make an extra category if we can compete in the normal category anyways?

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »

Why so?

yes, but why make an extra category if we can compete in the normal category anyways?
Because sometimes a foreign movie can be compared to American films directly, but more often
the fundamental differences in filmmaking styles make apples-to-apples comparison impossible.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »

I'm so glad that Searching for Sugar Man got a nomination. That film came out of nowhere and impressed everyone at the festival here last year. I hope it wins!
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

music box

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »

Just to say, Fey and Poehler would be awesome Oscar hosts someday. They were cracking me up last night.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:59:36 AM »

Just to say, Fey and Poehler would be awesome Oscar hosts someday. They were cracking me up last night.
if only they'd presented the entire show themselves... (ok Wiig & Ferrel were hilarious too)

music box

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »

Never been a fan of Will Ferrell but I did laugh at him and Kristen Wiig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up