THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nested comments?  (Read 2456 times)

mary jane

nested comments?
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »

ok I'm fairly new here, and I hope I've done enough lurking and that I'm not bringing up something that was already discussed, so far I can't find it, but is there an option of making the comments nested (like a hierarchical tree) instead of one long thread?

I see (not just here, but in other places with the same format) discussions dying off fast because the thread gets too long, and with multiple sub-conversations in parallel people can't keep track of who they were responding to, even when quoting. I find forums with nested comments to work way way better, so just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading

twitter: @themjane

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
Re: nested comments?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »

I'm not sure. But in general, the usability would be drowned. Nested comments are good until they reach a given amount, when they start to break the text to frequent and reading becomes really awful - specially on smaller screens.

As far as I know, is doable, but not sure if individually or by default (without the need of a plugin).

EDIT: threaded comments/post work better when there is no "quotation"  method, so nesting them seems OK because you keep the flow with the discussion in the comment section, which usually is embed inside a post or other main page. Still, sometimes it gets awful on comments with too many replies. Specially when a reply gets another amount of replies and so on.

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:46:58 AM »

i really don't like nested comments, sometimes i just need to browse quickly through a topic and nested comments would really slow that process down a lot!

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »

i really don't like nested comments, sometimes i just need to browse quickly through a topic and nested comments would really slow that process down a lot!
Same here.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »

ok I'm fairly new here, and I hope I've done enough lurking and that I'm not bringing up something that was already discussed, so far I can't find it, but is there an option of making the comments nested (like a hierarchical tree) instead of one long thread?

I see (not just here, but in other places with the same format) discussions dying off fast because the thread gets too long, and with multiple sub-conversations in parallel people can't keep track of who they were responding to, even when quoting. I find forums with nested comments to work way way better, so just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading

No thanks...my fave forum these days is io9, and I've seen a similar comment system there drive away 2/3 of the people who were regulars before it was installed.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »

often, people (me included) reply to more than one previous poster in the thread, engaging in various (sub)topics with just one post. that also would not work, as far as i understand....
Pages: [1]   Go Up