THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pope Benedict Quits  (Read 8132 times)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
Re: Pope Benedict Quits
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

Yeah far be it for anyone to understand the hubris of putting the church's reputation ahead of any of these abused individuals. I will not nor ever will say it was okay what he did, but we've seen this hubris before. Paterno, as you mentioned. Nixon. Reagan. Clinton. Bush 43. All of them suffered from the same hubris, which makes one wonder if that sort of hubris is more prevalent than any of us are aware.

And to think, all it would have taken to prevent this is get rid of that stupid "no sex" clause. If priests were allowed to be married, 99% of the molestation issues within the church would never have happened in the first place.

Yeah but sex is fun and one of the core beliefs of Catholicism is that anything fun is a sin.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »

Yeah far be it for anyone to understand the hubris of putting the church's reputation ahead of any of these abused individuals. I will not nor ever will say it was okay what he did, but we've seen this hubris before. Paterno, as you mentioned. Nixon. Reagan. Clinton. Bush 43. All of them suffered from the same hubris, which makes one wonder if that sort of hubris is more prevalent than any of us are aware.

And to think, all it would have taken to prevent this is get rid of that stupid "no sex" clause. If priests were allowed to be married, 99% of the molestation issues within the church would never have happened in the first place.

Yeah but sex is fun and one of the core beliefs of Catholicism is that anything fun is a sin.

Having been raised very Roman Catholic, I absolutely agree with you. Anything that is fun or questions the authority of the church is evil.

RoRi23

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

There's a specific brand of German Catholicism, though, where fun (and fallibility) are considered acceptable - after all that's what confession is for.
It is no coincidence that carnival is celebrated in the predominant catholic areas of Germany.

Ratzinger however didn't subscribe to that particular school of thought.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »

Having been raised very Roman Catholic, I absolutely agree with you. Anything that is fun or questions the authority of the church is evil.

I think that's the problem with the whole system. God should be the real authority for the believers; not a third party or another mortal creature.

Vatican is a system that is being run by the people, and you know: the err is human.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

The spirituality of Catholicism is aces. The dogma sucks giant donkey dick, but apparently settles for altar boys.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »

I wasn't even aware they were able to step down. They've always just died in office.. but I'm hoping that they elect a slightly more liberal and worldly pope this time (which is incredibly unlikely). But really, the Catholic church needs to get with the game and start functioning in the same world as the rest of us.

Actually, it is more likely he was "quited". As far as I know, only one pope of those who quited had genuinely gave up. There are many more things behind this decision than what they will ever release to the public.
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »

I wasn't even aware they were able to step down. They've always just died in office.. but I'm hoping that they elect a slightly more liberal and worldly pope this time (which is incredibly unlikely). But really, the Catholic church needs to get with the game and start functioning in the same world as the rest of us.

Actually, it is more likely he was "quited". As far as I know, only one pope of those who quited had genuinely gave up. There are many more things behind this decision than what they will ever release to the public.

Celestine V put all the rules in place so a Pope could quit. The ones that were replaced in the early 1400s were more a result of different factions insisting "their" Pope was the real Pope.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »

I just wanted to let y'all know, every time I see the title of this thread in the unread posts thing I read it as "Pope Benedict Quilts", and then I picture quilts with Papa B's face on them and it makes me smile.

Also, remember that time there were three popes? lol. History be crazy.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »

I just wanted to let y'all know, every time I see the title of this thread in the unread posts thing I read it as "Pope Benedict Quilts", and then I picture quilts with Papa B's face on them and it makes me smile.

technically, The Year of Three Popes was 1978. Pope Paul VI died having served as Pope for almost 15 years. Pope John Paul I was elected, died 33 days later. Pope John Paul II was elected.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »

technically, The Year of Three Popes was 1978. Pope Paul VI died having served as Pope for almost 15 years. Pope John Paul I was elected, died 33 days later. Pope John Paul II was elected.

No, in the Great Western Schism (I want to say 1415?) there were three guys being all like YO I'M THE POPE THO and then they were like NAH BRUV, I'M THE POPE.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »

The spirituality of Catholicism is aces. The dogma sucks giant donkey dick, but apparently settles for altar boys.

The pageantry rules.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »

Celestine V put all the rules in place so a Pope could quit. The ones that were replaced in the early 1400s were more a result of different factions insisting "their" Pope was the real Pope.

What I meant to say is that they (Vatican) maneuver it, in terms of making a deal or whatever so the pope would say he is quiting instead of them moving him away from his position (sorry for not being able to put it on fancy words, but I think you got it). At least, that is what I recall from history classes, but I could be mislead on that.   

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »

What I meant to say is that they (Vatican) maneuver it, in terms of making a deal or whatever so the pope would say he is quiting instead of them moving him away from his position (sorry for not being able to put it on fancy words, but I think you got it). At least, that is what I recall from history classes, but I could be mislead on that.

It's along the lines of the old Soviet Premiers "having a cold" whenever they were hospitalized.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:40 AM »

Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »

Aren't you a little short to be a Supreme Pontiff?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up