THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Explosions at Boston Marathon  (Read 9397 times)

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »

Unless your friend was planning on being a spectator at the finish line of the Marathon, she is probably fine.  This was a very localized event.  (I'm not trying to be dismissive or diminish your emotion, but am trying to reassure you.)  Also remember that cell phone service in downtown Boston is very iffy at the moment, due to overwhelmed lines.  Do you know what part of Boston she is from?

Boston Police shut down cell phone service,
to prevent remote detonation of explosives.

Corrina who has been on the sbox for a while is OK.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »

Unless your friend was planning on being a spectator at the finish line of the Marathon, she is probably fine.  This was a very localized event.  (I'm not trying to be dismissive or diminish your emotion, but am trying to reassure you.)  Also remember that cell phone service in downtown Boston is very iffy at the moment, due to overwhelmed lines.  Do you know what part of Boston she is from?

Corrina who has been on the sbox for a while is OK.

Texting seems to have been left on though.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »

No I'm not sure. And I know it's far more likely that she's ok, it's just that I haven't seen any activity on her facebook or anything like that. I don't have the facilities to call her directly so I have to rely on that.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Musings

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »

As far as I know, this has been debunked: http://mashable.com/2013/04/15/boston-cellphone-service-down/

A friend of mine who was a runner said that he was able to call out but it was very difficult for people to call in.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »

Thanks for all the concern and support. I'm freaked out but fine. We watched the marathon in Brookline for a bit this morning, then headed out to a nature sanctuary for the afternoon. My friends and colleagues are accounted for. Several of them were at the finish when the explosions occurred but were not injured. It's strangely quiet here. Choppers and sirens in the distance, very little traffic. It feels like the city is holding its breath. My office is at 500 Boylston, a few blocks from the blast site, in the zone that is locked down as a crime scene, so I won't be going into work tomorrow.

The most fucked up part about this is that it feels familiar. 

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

Ryan James

• FaceBook
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

This is so saddening, being over 800 miles away doesn't help, I grew up in S. NH just a short distance from Boston and only moved out here to Chicago this year, I spent a lot of my high school and college days walking the streets of Bean Town and know a lot of friends who call Boston home. It's hard to imagine something like this happening. I'm glad my northeast family is safe and sound, and my heart goes out most to all those effected.

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 01:38:11 AM »

I'm glad all the Boston Boxers are alright. I've heard from my friends in Boston, and they're all okay.
It's such a sad event I don't even know what to day.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Miss Sahara

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:26 AM »

what a tragedy.
living in a place (vienna) where the marathon event took place the day before yesterday, this feels close to home, even so far away...seing all these pictures is heartbreaking and I wish y'all in Boston lots of strenght...

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

I'm really glad everyone is okay.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Musings

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

If you are in Boston, here is one thing you can do:

http://nesn.com/2013/04/boston-college-students-organizing-walk-to-finish-boston-marathon/

There is still very little idea on how organized this is/what police presence there will be on Friday.  I first saw it on facebook as a BC alum thing, but I think it went viral pretty fast.

There are a few donation links popping up for the Richard family (who lost their 8 year old son, and a 6 year old daughter and the mother are still in the hospital with bad injuries) but I haven't seen anything official yet.

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Musings

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

Here is the official Mayor/City sanctioned donation of money link for victims: http://onefundboston.org/

I personally will be also joining in the restarted (really, though, should it ever stop?)  #RandomActsofKindness campaign, to do acts of kindness for victims of this and other acts of violence around the world.

youve_lost

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »

Shaken, but here.
Living Statue Amateur, Wallflower Extraordinaire.

Do you know what you've... lost?

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »

Knowing Sboxers are ok is wonderful to hear.  I can only hope the others injured get better now and that Boston recovers from this.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »

We were allowed into the office today and this is the view out the window. Hard to see detail in this phone photo, but the streets are still filled with trash, barricades, overturned tables, water bottles signs...no cars, no people. The surrounding streets are filled with cops, FBI, soldiers and media.

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »

^ glad to see that you and the 'Box crew made it out unscathed (physically, at least).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up