THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: book group is IN SESSION: “The Ocean at the End of the Lane”  (Read 11487 times)

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator

neil's new book is out today. right now.
i'll be posting a blog about it later on. but actually, it’s impossible to write a blog about his new book without talking about us. so there will be that, too.

but the book…the book is fucking amazing. he’s really proud of it, and so am i.
you can order it here if you're in the US (and here if you're in the UK). the audiobook version came out today as well, so you could technically be enjoying it within a few minute's time.
when you finish reading it (or listening), let me know what you think…here, in this thread.

p.s. sorry, gotta say it, please be respectful of others and make sure there are clearly marked spoiler-warnings etc. etc.

Félix Marqués

• ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Re: book group is IN SESSION: “The Ocean at the End of the Lane”
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »

I ordered a signed version, but I have to wait until July, when my American sister will come visit us and will bring it to me.

Excited.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

Casey's laugh is full of joy, vitality & impishness.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Larry P

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »

I have a ticket to see Mr. Gaiman in Washington this Friday and am REALLY looking forward to it!  I'll let you know what I think of the book.  I've loved all of the others that I've read and assume this one'll be no different.

Lord Kamina

• Not an engineer.
  • Doctor in the works
    • The Sea Otter Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »

Hey there; this is effectively my first post around here. I arrived through Neil's posting of the blog entry.
So... that out of the way (Maybe I'll write a proper shameless self-plugging introduction later, and on the appropriate thread.)

Well, I've had the book pre-ordered for a couple months already (regular hardback) but BookDepository hasn't shipped yet so I guess I don't really have anything relevant to say, other than remarking on how much I liked that blog entry.
I AM a Neil Gaiman FAN, I suppose; hell, I read all of Sandman (illegally... and twice) before going on to pay for it anyway because "Shut up and take my fucking money already, Neil." and I probably would never have heard about you and your art in the first place, if it hadn't been for him. I like your music, I like your writing and I think you're generally a pretty Fucking® amazing person in general. Still, I don't always have the patience or attention span to read some of your stuff. In the case of this particular entry though, I got such a rush of emotion, and so many different ones too. Truly amazing, thank you.

Well, I guess that's rather enough off-topic for a first-post. I'll probably return to this topic when I get my book and as I read it.

Lilith

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

Reading and loving, it just gets better and better. A thing keeps happening, when I read something, seamlessly flowing from the previous totally rational events, and then I'm like 'wait, what?' because the weird and magical just appears as if it's been there forever just waiting for you to notice.
Love it.

stargirl

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »

I haven't read it yet, sadly. But every time I hear the title I think of Millet's painting of a seaside hamlet: http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/end-of-the-hamlet-of-gruchy-31617

I really should go buy the book! I found the blog very touching.

heyitsjacy25

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

what did everyone think of the symbolism regarding the Hempstocks as well as the cat -
the opal miner,
the ocean-
all of it?

Shenanigans

• Neil Gaiman's unofficial groupie
  • I love Neil and Amanda.
    • My tumblr~
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »

Hello, Amanda! Hello, fans! This is my first post, I guess...
So, how I felt about the book can only be summed up in a love letter of sorts to Neil.

Dear Neil,

Just, wow.

Neil, you’ve outdone yourself. I’m in tears of joy as I type. I haven’t been immersed in a novel (novella, really, since it’s less that 200 pages) like this since Moffat knows how long ago.

The protagonist (who, though unnamed in the novel, is named Neil in my mind) is so, so relatable to me. I didn’t have many friends as a young child, and I preferred books to people then – and now. Thank you for creating such a relatable protagonist.

The Hempstocks are genius, some of the best characters you’ve come up with ever. (I’m convinced they are Time Ladies.) I’d like to cosplay Lettie – weird, I know, but she’s just so awesome and a brilliant character, and so well-defined. All of them are great.

The Big Bad was straight out of my nightmares – a woman who somehow combines the absolute loathsomeness of Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter with the seductive wickedness of the Other Mother from Coraline… you made it happen, Neil.

The story had everything, too – myth and magic and fantasy and reality and horror and terror and epic all blurring together, like in all your work, but at a much more personal level than anything you’ve ever written. The length was no issue – I read the book in less than two hours, but it felt like hours or days as I read. It transported me. Books that do that stay with me for a long time. And I know this one will stay with me for a long, long time. In fact, I think I’m going to re-read it right now.

Brilliant job, Neil. Thank you for this miraculous gift of a book.

A+

Love,
Shenanigans
your favorite groupie

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »

I haven't read it yet, sadly. But every time I hear the title I think of Millet's painting of a seaside hamlet: http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/end-of-the-hamlet-of-gruchy-31617

I really should go buy the book! I found the blog very touching.

The ocean is a bit big for the Hempstock's farm ...  ; - }

Unless one is dreaming of it.

Here's another photo of the painting (it's worth follow the link above, too)
getting started:

further back:
Our forum before this one...

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

I haven't gotten it yet, however I will be getting it later today if I can... He's the only author I'll go to the new bookstores for (seeing as nothing of his ever makes it to the used one I love going to)
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

unlimitedricepudding

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

I have three copies of the book.  One purchased back in February from Porter Square Books (Yep, I was one of the 12,000.)  Two, purchased yesterday from The Tattered Cover in Lower Downtown Denver, also receiving two tickets for Neil's book signing there.  I devoured this book in about four or five hours, I suppose.  Time flies when one is immersed in a fantastic story, does it not?

A variety of emotions ran through me in this short amount of time.  Anxiety, fear, sadness, anger, wonder, and then all of them over again.  At the end, I was left with a profound thoughtfulness that I still feel.  Not joy, though the story was so very good.  But not sadness either, despite what the protagonist went through and what he can never have. 

This is a story to revisit.  I'm certain I shall find new facets of it that I missed the first time around.  New wonders that were hidden before.  And to feel those emotions over again, because I feel that it was the intention.
I did this thing once. And something very interesting happened. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but it was terrifying and wonderful at the same time.

RachaelR

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 02:42:31 AM »

When I first started reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I was concerned that it was Coraline part II & I wondered if I was going to be disappointed in a Neil Gaiman novel. I was about halfway through when the story pulled me in. There was so much love in the story & it had the added risk of having hearts ripped out (or maybe it wasn't just a risk, the epilogue really messed with me, I'm still thinking about what would have happened if there was a different narrator, such as Lettie). This next part will probably have spoilers so...
The theme of love is solidified with the end, where Lettie has somehow saved the main character through sacrificing herself & she waits for him in the ocean. The idea of an ocean being the size of an ocean or a pond or a bucket seemed to me to mean whatever we want to make of time & distance. And it ends with her still watching over him throughout his life. It made me happy to read it & I was wrong about it resembling Coraline.
Also, where in the hell do we put all of the little creepies that could once be safely flushed/washed down the drain? I've completely lost the security of knowing nothing came back from there.

Bookworm-airhead

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »

I'm sure I'm being dense but...SPOILER ALERT

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

highlight below to read...

She gives him her heart, yes?  And then they snipped and stitched so that he didn't remember about having his one torn out?

Oh man...

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »

welll done Spoiler Alert.

Thank You

I'm sure I'm being dense but...SPOILER ALERT

#
#
#

getting started:

further back: