THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Childhood memories  (Read 1723 times)

Annebelle.

• Trampeltier
  • How 'bout a nice and warm Cake Sex Riot?
Childhood memories
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »

Starting of with my own story:

Sometimes I remember things from when I was younger but I'm never sure if they really happened or not. Like I remember visiting my aunt and cousins when I was four years old. I remember that there was a hammock in the woods somewhere, they put me in, and my cousins rocking me while I was laying there.

In my mind it was the summer when I was supposed to start some sort of summer vacation playgroup/day camp thing. But then I didn't because on the first day I spent all my energy crying because I didn't want to be there. So my parents didn't make me attend again and instead I spent all my days at my grandparents (seeing that my parents had a business and had to work crazy hours).

I also remember that my aunt and cousins visited my grandparents for a while that summer. A few weeks, probably. The oldest of my two cousins was seven and his sister was six. At that time, they lived in the Pyrenees in France, which is why they visited for more than a couple of days.

This is why I always thought the memory of visiting my aunt and being rocked in a hammock was my mind playing a trick on me. Obviously the Pyrenees were way too far to visit. So I always thought my mind just put a bunch of random activities together and made it into one, and the exact data had faded from my brain, because I was so young at that time.

And then today, my cousin (the one that was 7 at that time) posted this picture on Facebook, the place they used to live at in the Pyrenees:

Which happens to be the exact setting of my hammock memory. *Dun dun dun dunnnnnn*conspiracy music*

Now, why I started a new thread for this:

I'm trying to make a few works of art inspired by childhood memories, true or false, fading and distortion of information in one's head. In that context I think it would be inspiring to read about things you guys remember from your days as a kid. Everything welcome, from vivid descriptions to vague outlines and ideas of what you think happened. It doesn't matter what age you were, go ahead and tell whatever you want.
Quote from: Niels
"if he tells me no I'll do your mum until she hits the floor, eventually I know she's doomed to come right back and ask for more"

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Re: Childhood memories
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

I will give you something here, but it's gonna probably be Wednesday before I can.

CottonCandy

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »

One of my earliest memories was from our home when I was three -I remember mum tucking me in and a closing door to my sisters room. Only I found later on when telling this story to mum, that there wasn't a door nor even two separate rooms. My sister and I lived in the same room but my parents have separated it to two with some bookcases. I have no idea how I remember a closing door.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »

I only visited my maternal grandfather once, when I was 8 years old. My family and I took an extra week at Christmas to make the looooong drive from the Detroit area to Veracruz, Mexico, to see him (along with visiting other family in Mexico and Texas). We did a lot of things the week that we were down there, but perhaps the most memorable for me was the trip to a Veracruz beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Almost 100 yards of blazing hot sand between us and the ocean - I don't think I've ever run that fast since, lol! The waves were probably only 4' high, but they were still taller than I was, which made going in way more exciting than it probably would be now. There were other things, like Mayan ruins and seeing grandpa's backyard illuminated solely by fireflies, that stand out...but it'll always be the waves and the sand that I recall first, even before my grandpa himself.

I've never been much for collecting souvenirs of any kind, but I picked up a small seashell that day at the beach. I still have it, and, if my house caught fire, it would be the first thing I'd grab on my way out the door or window.

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:35 AM »

I don't remember how old I was when this memory happened...I actually think I might of been two.  My parents had my brother and I very close together, only a year apart, and I remember eating cereal and spilling milk on my shirt. I changed my shirt.  I remember my mom getting annoyed with this ability of mine to change my own clothing, she had to hand wash everything on a scrub board in our bathtub because we didn't have any kind of laundry facility other than these old white painted poles with clotheslines and dozens of cloths pins.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

Faloleen

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 05:15:52 AM »

I was four and my brother was just few months old. I was sitting on a blanket next to a pool in our garden with some children's book. My mom had to go to the house for some reason, so she put my brother next to me on the blanket and asked to watch him for a few minutes. When she left, I felt like a real grown up because I was watching the baby!
Fate is not a factor.

Dracoa

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »

My earliest good memory was on vacation. I don't know how old I was exactly, but I was really young. Anyways, we were on vacation in Jamaica (I think it was) and we went to see the bats. We were in a boat to go into the cave. I remember they were fruit bats.

I also have a bad memory of around the same time getting sunburned so bad I couldn't even wear a shirt.

Pelle

• I apparently am a
    • Sorry Bunch
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »

My earliest memory was from when we were living near the railroad. I can remember seeing the train wizzing by in the distance. For some reason I remember the train as being red, and it made a lot of noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up