THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: How have you changed since you joined the Box?  (Read 4090 times)

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
How have you changed since you joined the Box?
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »

I was thinking about this just now and thought it would be fun.

The question is, how have you changed since you joined the Box? Has anything significant happened? Have you had important people come and/or go that molded the change? Do you still love Amanda and/or The Dresden Dolls as much as you did when you first started here? Be creative :)

I registered here in July 2007. That means I was a recently graduated 18-year old kid. I had been listening to The Dresden Dolls for about two years and had seen them live once. Since then I have spent over 16 days on this board. I was one of the members who sat on here for practically an entire day waiting for the first WKAP sale to go up and was one of many who got screwed over in the MusicToday fiasco. I still have my signed apology post card from Amanda framed in my room. All that time was tallied a while ago as I have not been an active member on here for quite sometime.

How have I changed? Well, I'm not a teenager anymore. I feel that becoming an adult changed my outlook on what I was doing and that is in regard to forums in general. I had moved to another one as some of my interests had changed and as of now even that one is no longer in active use. I'm just into other things these days. I recently have returned back to college for a major completely different from what I originally went for. I moved from biology to graphic design.
So I still love Amanda and the Dolls as much? Of course. I saw Amanda last September for the Theatre is Evil tour, was a backer for the Kickstarter, still read the blogs, follow on Twitter, etc.. It just isn't my main focus anymore. Instead of being on the playing field, I'm more of a backup now.

Part of it also was always feeling a bit out of place. As some of you may recall, I was always a rather opinionated and outspoken, right leaning kid in the sea of liberal views on here. Yes, I got shit for stuff I would say and post but it never really bugged me. I just got to a point where I just got tired of constantly being on defense and being conscious of unintentionally and inevitably starting an argument with certain members no matter what I would say or post. Sometimes having a target on your back just gets annoying.
How has that changed? Well, I wouldn't consider myself a Republican anymore. I'm not even registered with the GOP and haven't been for a couple years now. However, that doesn't mean I have swapped sides. I consider myself non-affiliated and it feels pretty good. I agree or disagree with whoever I want regardless of affiliation and I like it that way. These days I'm not even that focused in politics in general. I have gotten to a point where I don't think our votes or opinions even matter to the government anymore.

In general, people have come and gone in my life since July 2007 that have shaped who I have become and I wouldn't change that. I would consider myself pretty happy at the moment which is something I haven't been able to truthfully say for a while. I'm back in school, not working for the military anymore, and feel like I can breathe. Change is good  O0

How about you?

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: How have you changed since you joined the Box?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

Yes I have, and generally for the better.

Thanks Shadowbox and -Boxers!   :headbang:
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »

I feel I definitely have.
I think it's been 2-3 years since I joined the Box, and since then I've become more independant, and more open with myself.
I've stopped basing my thoughts and actions on the small group of people around me because through interacting with people here I've realised that there's a whole wide world out there.
My life has taken a totally different direction than I thought it would since joining here, and for the first time in a while, I'm actually happy with my life and where it's heading. And I have the 'Box, and the awesome people here to thank for a part of that.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »

I just had to check my post in Introduce Yourself Thread.

Umm, firstly, i too think i've changed for better. I've learnt a lot from you guys, regarding both life and language :) I've made great friends here, discovered and enjoyed cool albums, read many books and watched very good movies as per your recommendations on various threads.

My life has changed either, for better and for worse from different aspects.

I quit teaching and started a career in import-export business. And it worked well until last month. Nowadays i feel like i'm standing right in front of a big crossroads. Everything is so complicated and unpredictable. Anyway i gave myself a couple of months off, and i'll enjoy my free time and take things easy until the dust settles and i'll make up my mind.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »

I don't even recognize the me that joined the Box all those years ago. I am a completely different person now. Amazing how life can change you.

This place and the people in it helped me through some dark, dark times. I'll always be grateful for that. <3
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Musings

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »

I think it's interesting because a lot of people joined the box during their late teens/early twenties, which is naturally a time of great change. 

I saw this thread and thought about the fact that I'm going to see some old Boxers that I haven't seen in... 3, 4 years.

So... I was going into my senior year of college when I joined.  I've since graduated and had two very different jobs.  I'm going back to school in a week.

I moved to Boston after graduating, and am moving out next year.

I came out as queer and was in a relationship that I just go out of.  My career path is very different from what I imagined it to be but very fulfilling.  I am generally mentally healthier, read and write less unfortunately, listen to less Amanda Palmer and more of a variety of other things.

I still write poetry, on occasion, and I do interact with a fair number of people I met on the SBx off of it (via Twitter, FB, or text), but I no longer see it as a place to meet NEW people.  I rarely go into threads unless I have a poem to write or I see something interesting on the surface.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »

If you asked me a few months ago I would have said that: (1) my philosophical outlook has developed into something more sophisticated in recent years (although essentially still similar to the direction it took to in my late teens). (2) My personal life has become incredibly desolate (people changing their lives in ways I couldn’t relate to and in ways that were too ironic for me to accept.

However… I recently had a bit of an intense “Art experience” that obliterated much of my debilitating neurotic dread. This has made me a lot more comfortable about my philosophical approach and the ways in which I generally assess the motivations of others. Every human possesses inherent flaws and these flaws made it incredibly difficult for me to know if my subjective experiences were correlating to real-world information. I suspected that I was probably correct in my impressions but people can be incredibly contradictory and I found it hard to trust their claims about their experiences, which in turn left me doubting my own impressions. Every weakness in another's character, subtly evoked doubt, which over time grew into a vague and oppressive uncertainty that characterised my generalised anxiety. Holding all those negations together (to bring some semblance of coherence to my life experience) was causing me so much stress... I have fewer negations to hold together now; the burden is reduced... Almost everyone announces that the day is sunny or rainy; almost no-one announces what I most needed to know about my subjective life. 

Having the “Art/not-Art” and the “how dare you/how-dare-you-not Amanda Palmer!” conversations mobilised much of this recent development because the conversations gave me a good sense of what “Art defence” and “Art rejection” are all about. As a result, I’ve been able to involve myself in work that has increased my contact with local innovative Art/Music organizations/ individuals without making me feel like I’m a complete imposter. The increased contact ultimately lead to sharper perceptions and increased art making of my own.etc   

So I’m essentially the same, except I’m more emotionally level and I’m driven more by philosophy than by fear. I joined the forum shortly after my "Music Production" Promotion job ended and I didn't think I'd do anything like that again because I felt like a fake. Years later, I've ended up with a fundraising job for a couple of arts organisations where I'm piecing together proposals for ambitious local-community enrichment projects. In terms of work - it's about as good as I could hope to find: Not for profit, intelligently experimental, not boring, social benefits beyond the arts, and colleagues in keeping with many of my principles (One of the organisations actually has a majority of vegetarians in employment & on the board. I'm not the lone-vegetarian anymore)... The shadowbox forum, DD & AFP have had something to do with that.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »

I'm a lot lighter, both physically and spiritually.

:glasses9:

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »

Aw man. Where do I even begin?

Since I joined, it must have been 5-6 years ago. I was with a boy at the time and we broke up. I moved to Scotland (the reason we broke up) to start a new life here and go to university. I've made and lost friends, I've done a whole lot of growing up and really tested my limits. I'm finally out the other side, having just graduated and I've landed myself a really awesome job and I've got the most wonderful boyfriend <3

So my situation has definitely changed but I've changed so much as a person too. I've worked so hard and learned how to make very little money go as far as it possibly can. Some family and friends have died, which has also obviously changed me. I'm slightly more realistic now than I used to be but I still like to lean on the side of optimism. I'm much more confident, I'm a stronger person and I display a lot more of myself than I used to.

As for the AFP side of it, I've seen her 4 times but I hadn't heard of the Dresden Dolls until they'd almost split so I never got to see them :( I still sometimes read tumblr posts from Amanda and other blog posts but I'm not nearly as up to date as I used to be.

The Shadowbox has been a really important part of me being able to open up more. It's been wonderful to have you guys to just vent to when I've needed <3
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »

I have changed very little since 1949.

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »

I joined shortly after escaping my home town. It was my first year doing things that I wanted to do (like studying film) instead of doing things I was pressured into doing, mostly by my family. I had a lot of self loathing and I felt like there were still a lot of barriers between my situation and getting to be the way I wanted to be. Four years later and I'm much happier, I feel much more like myself and even when things seem horrible up here they're better than they used to be. I was glad to have the Shadowbox when I first moved here and didn't have many friends, and I'm still glad to have you guys to vent to and discuss stuff with that I wouldn't normally talk to people irl about. I've learned a lot from you guys. I didn't expect that the forum would be so important to me when I first joined to sell a ticket for a show I couldn't go to, but thanks for being awesome <3
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

Pelle

• I apparently am a
    • Sorry Bunch
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »

I joined just when Amanda released her solo album. The Dresden Dolls changed my life. I didn't believe in making music with just drums and piano, and when my drummer told me about the existence of this band, I got hooked. I listened to it for days on end, and kept doing that for about 2,5 years. I met Casey (Cassandra Long, a friend of Amanda Palmer) through the Shadowbox, and we talked a lot.

Nowadays I don't listen to Amanda Palmer that often anymore. I did go to a concert of her quite recently, it was really nice. I'm doing okay, not great but okay. I've lost a lot of friends and didn't gain many. Did figure myself out in a lots of different ways. I'm more mature but still optimistic about my own music and the path that I'm taking. Working on a kickstarter project which isn't nearly as big as Amanda her album, but it's something alright.

I did change a lot, I went from student to working person. And this year I'll be both. I hope that I will make a lot of new friends because I am quite lonely. But other than that I do enjoy doing what I do. I practice a lot, write new songs, built guitars, and I've started going out more. All I need is a group of new friends and a girlfriend, and everything will be okay :)

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »

I joined in March of 2010, late to the party but very eager to connect. I was just getting into the Dolls and Amanda's solo music. I wanted to be up on all the latest news, hear every song and get as much info as possible. I didn't know anyone else who was involved in this community. I didn't really understand that it was a community.
Since then, I've met some of you, including Amanda & Neil. I've become a fan of some local bands and theater groups. I've made a vow to introduce myself to people from the Box and twitter in real life when we are together. The reason this is possible for me is that I realized that there are other people out there who love this music. It's not just about me and my Amanda crush. It's about being a part of the tribe, supporting other artists, being present and contributing to the continuation of the art and fostering of the community. I feel like I've come inside somehow, but now I see that there aren't any walls. I used to feel sad when Amanda was off on tour because the only place I felt perfectly at home was at one of her shows. Now I feel that I'm part of it all the time. I imagine us all moving together, wherever we are in the world, in the same general direction. Fellow travelers who bump into each other once in a while. I'm not sure this makes any sense, but it's the best I can do. Ask me again in three years!
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

Blue Canary

• You can't ignore my techno
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:50:00 AM »

Oh man, I can't even remember when I joined but it feels like it's been FOREVER.
I've definitely changed a ton, mainly in the "love life" (or lack thereof) department. I was a virgin who hadn't even kissed anyone yet. Now I've had three flings/relationships/whatever since then, which is huge for me. All of them have been pretty draining but I've had a lot of really great advice from everyone here regarding emotional and physical questions and I don't know if I would be comfortable asking anyone else at this point. Some of the world's coolest people are on here, and I love all of ya.  :love5:
You should totally barf on all their dicks. I will help.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »

I joined when I was an artful mess. Now I seem to be a mess without the artful part. I have not been here in forever, and this board was like my second life when I joined. I felt very supported here, and that I was among my own kind. I even had very public meltdowns on this board and had people reach out and support me. It was crazy, but a good kind of crazy. I lost my father last year to cancer and I feel like I lost my soul since then. It is kind of creeping back, and I am struggling to redefine and rediscover artful crazy Larry.

I have been gone quite a while, but hopefully people remember me and I am remembered by those who are still here.

As far as the AFP/DD aspect of it, I was a crazy fan of DD, and AFP a little less so. I loved her first album, and enjoyed some stuff here and there since. Her methods interest me more than her music, but I have admittedly have not even heard the latest album. Will correct that soon.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

Darn, A.o.L!  It has been a while!  Good to see ya.  :)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »

Thanks. Good to be seen. I looked at my last post before that one and was shocked to see it was dated 2011!
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »

welcome back!

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »

I've become sharper...more sharp...sharperer...

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »

I've lost about 100 lbs, bought my own place, been elected President of my HOA, have lost several g/f's and am now dating two awesome ladies at the same time (not on the sly; we're poly), taken up crocheting again, and gotten involved in the local Burner scene (encouraging folks to not view the local burn as a rave than as a workshop for everyday promotion of the Burner principles).

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »

i'm

- a decade plus older.

- eating better & exercising more.

- retired due to those nasty head injuries of 5.5 years ago.

- settling my Dad's estate who passed on 5 Dec 2017.  all sorts of fun learning lot's about wills, trusts, how my Dad's coop building really works, etc.

- one of the d.dolls, amanda's, & biran's longerst continuous fans.  i also know too much d.dolls, afp, & viggie history & trivia.

- have had several more month longs relatiosnhips in my quest to find a life-long one.

- acquired the thankless vice of editing Wikipedia as an editor who follows & believes in WP's core principles.

- love my neighborhood, home, & garden even more.  where i have lived since 1981.

questions?  anything i missed that is obvious to any of you?
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up