THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Say what you want but..." Share your pleasures WITHOUT GUILT!  (Read 6427 times)

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
"Say what you want but..." Share your pleasures WITHOUT GUILT!
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »

Amanda shared some stuff on twitter last night that I thought would make an interesting thread for us. She said: "know what's weird? seeing the "say what you want about her but"/"love her or hate her but" language preceding the sharing of my art lately." This started a thread about what that actually means. Indecisean defined it as "guilty pleasure". Amanda gave us a list of hers: "i love: titanic (the movie), avril lavigne's 2nd record, miley cyrus' exploration of twerking, ABBA, russell brand & norman rockwell. there."

So I'm wondering what's on your list? Can you name a movie, musician, song, celebrity, artist, or food that you like that you perceive other people would find distasteful, juvenile or otherwise not cool?

Here are some of mine:

Meat Loaf (the singer)
Disney World
Spaghettios (American pasta in a can food product)

Be kind! Be courageous!
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Say what you want but..." Share your guilty pleasures!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »

i think the term "GUILTY PLEASURE" should be killed dead. i mean....why should any pleasure be guilty? for real?
what are we, catholic??

BEAT ME.

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »

i'd like to point out that that post was my 667th. that's all.

#satan.

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »

Agreed. Pleasure should be guilt-free. Why are we so scared to admit these things? Is there a special branch of the fraud police who will bust down the door if you try and watch the Lawrence Welk show? Is this related to the hipster mentality?
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

i think the term "GUILTY PLEASURE" should be killed dead. i mean....why should any pleasure be guilty? for real?
what are we, catholic??

BEAT ME.

In portuguese (brazilian portuguese at least), we don't have an exactly counter part of 'guilty pleasures' in our language. A literal translation would be "prazeres culposos", but I never saw anyone saying or using that. The closest we have is, indeed, a very catholic expression: prazeres proibĂ­dos (forbidden pleasures, literally). 

But for me, the sense of a pleasure being something guilty is either because it contradicts with your cultural backgrounds, your taste in general for something, or mostly because that matter is indeed of a questionable taste/quality - and you know that. For example: Tank Girl, the movie - I know it is rubbish,  but I cannot not like that film. I could say the same about Little Boots, but because I don't like club/electronic pop music in general, but I cannot not fall in love every time I hear to Victoria's voice and  be indifferent to her melodies. However, I consider her one of my guilty pleasures because most of my friends listen to rock , blues and folk , and so do I.

I'm not sure if I agree that the term should be dead, because it is a simple way for  saying you just like something because you just like that. At least here, when you say you like something that goes off your ordinary taste you will probably need to justify yourself. So saying "ah, it is my guilty pleasure" people will just stop annoying you.

But regarded the "guilty" part, yes, I agree that pleasures should be guilty free, but is hard specially living in a catholic country like mine, where the catholic guilty will be haunting you every now and then.

Cheers, all!

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
Re: "Say what you want but..." Share your pleasures WITHOUT GUILT!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

I was a Spice Girls fan gworing up and I still listen to anything Melanie C does from time to time. When people ask me about my fave artists though I always leave her at the end of the list, even though she has released two of my most favourite albums ever!

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

I was told my love for Cyndi Lauper is a "guilty pleasure", which that phrase reminds me of the masterbation thread. (I grew up Catholic)

It seems everything I like is a guilty pleasure, so I tell people I'm hedonistic and do what I want.

ALSO velveeta cheese.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »

One Direction.

Well, sort of. I used to work with this girl who was obsessed with them, to the point where we had their first album put on the work playlist. And after a while, I started to like it, it was really fun, and upbeat. So it became played a lot lol.
But i've sort of stopped listening to them now that I don't work with her anymore, now I just see them on my Tumblr, which is better than hearing them.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

Were I capable of guilt, Katy Perry's first 2 albums would make a list of my guilty pleasures, especially the 2nd one.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »

what are we, catholic??

BEAT ME.
A better (if less established) term would probably be "shameful pleasure".....

The subtle shade of difference is between something that YOU feel is wrong
as opposed to something that you feel someone else will think is wrong....

Are you doing something you shouldn't? or are you doing something OTHERS think you shouldn't?

[in that vein, a lovely read HERE]
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

About the only 'pleasure' of mine that I feel is wrong/'guilty' is leather. Leather boots mostly, but I have a belt as well and am about to use some old recycled leather to make hair things. My problem with this is that I'm vegetarian and don't really know how to justify it to myself.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »

willow smith. love love love her. i'm thinking of getting 'whip my hair' played at my funeral. people also like to try and make me feel guilty about nicki minaj but those people are wrong and she is amazing :D

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 02:42:30 AM »

willow smith. love love love her. i'm thinking of getting 'whip my hair' played at my funeral. people also like to try and make me feel guilty about nicki minaj but those people are wrong and she is amazing :D

Omg, Whip My Hair was our Christmas song at work a few years back, mainly because we heard it 20 times a day, and it got everyone pumped and grooving. It was awesome.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 03:14:06 AM »

Cheese. I love cheese. I love milkshakes and ice cream and all kinds of dairy (except cow's milk on its own, or any milk on its own for that matter). I'm lactose intolerant. I don't feel guilt after, I feel like shit. Haha, get it?
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »

Do you guys remember Vitamin C? yeah I have an old mix CD of theirs.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up