THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: book group is IN SESSION: “The Ocean at the End of the Lane”  (Read 12118 times)

bohemianfairy

Re: book group is IN SESSION: “The Ocean at the End of the Lane”
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

I bought the book this afternoon and just finished reading all of it. I am Wiccan and ended up putting it firmly on my "Wicca" bookshelf. I see the Hempstocks at the Goddess (Mother, Maiden, Crone aspects of the Lady). The message I took from the book was that nothing in life is a real or as important as we worry that it is, so there is no need for fear or anxiety (thoughts that have been swirling around my head lately anyway) and....Water! - an element that has been in my mind recently, is calling more loudly. I'm not sure why the element Water wants to make itself so prominent right now, or what that means, but it is there. I've also been thinking about Vultures and the cycle of death a lot and I'd liked the carrion bird-like creatures. The story reminded me of Coraline, especially the circus tent-like monster, references to mice and broken dolls/buttons... and I really liked the use of quotes from Alice In Wonderland and Gilbert and Sullivan.

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »

Just a small thing that I noticed on my second read: "Nobody" comes to his 7th birthday party (I'd love to ask Neil if this is true) which connects to the Graveyard Book's protagonist, Nobody Owens. The first appearance of Lettie reads: "Somebody, a girl, said "He can come back with me to the farmhouse. It's no trouble." I like the idea that Lettie is "Somebody".
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:18 AM »

Just a small thing that I noticed on my second read: "Nobody" comes to his 7th birthday party (I'd love to ask Neil if this is true) which connects to the Graveyard Book's protagonist, Nobody Owens. The first appearance of Lettie reads: "Somebody, a girl, said "He can come back with me to the farmhouse. It's no trouble." I like the idea that Lettie is "Somebody".
Even if that was not Neil's intention, it's still a wonderful way of approaching the novel. Thank you for sharing that.

vialila

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

realize i'm late to this party, but i got the book thru the mendo bookmobile and there was a looooong waiting list.

hence, i actually read amanda's blog about the book first. which was a helluva read in itself. then the book, which i looooved. made my partner read it too. and i was recommending it to some friends and that led me back to the blog for a re-read, because certain characters (ahem) were so clearly about and for amanda, and i was intrigued by what she thought about it all. it was then that her description of her "twit" talk with neil sent me back to the book again (which i hadn't turned in yet cuz the bookmobile only comes every 2 weeks) to see if i'd missed any metaphors in the very rich stew of that story.

so. POTENTIAL SPOILERS:

it was on the re-read that i really got who lettie/ginnie/old lady hempstock actually *were* (trying not to spoil that discovery for anyone), which definitely upped the extraordinary of an extraordinary work. his delicate handling of the way memory works outside the farm was always at the top of my "best points" list, but this discovery just so deepened the whole experience, and i come away pretty awed by all the - emotion? humanity? Truth with a capital T? - he packed into one little book. i can't believe i missed this point on the first read, so that was MY twit moment. (my partner, btw, got it on the first read.)

a beautiful, full-heart experience. a book i want to live next to my bedside table.

rnmckinnon

• Writer, reader, pumpkin eater.
    • Rebecca N. McKinnon
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 11:56:48 PM »

I've waited a long time to reply to this post. I posted my thoughts on the book as well as a lot of related things on my blog:

http://rnmckinnon.com/happy-birthday-to-me-2014/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up