THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GREAT BIG ART OF ASKING DISCUSSION THREAD.  (Read 8841 times)

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator
THE GREAT BIG ART OF ASKING DISCUSSION THREAD.
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »

here it is. the books not out yet. so all i can say is...go wild.
i'll check in here as much as i can...but i love the idea of this thread being a container for thoughts and stories...
the blog comes and goes but this thread can live a long life.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: THE GREAT BIG ART OF ASKING DISCUSSION THREAD.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »

First, related News & Updates thread
THE ART OF ASKING on sale 11/11...use this thread for businessy questions/help

Second, as Amanda mentioned on twitter,
it's also fine to discuss her TED talk of the same title in this thread.
Links:

http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMj_P_6H69g

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xMj_P_6H69g?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xMj_P_6H69g?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:39:03 PM »

btw, a search
http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?action=search
for
"art of asking"
(quotes needed)
will get you to the other threads on this forum,
that discussed her TED talk.
getting started:

further back:

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »

Even though I received one of my pre-orders of the book earlier than expected, I knew I had to save it until I had enough time to finish it in one sitting, and after five excruciating days I finally got that opportunity today. It only takes a few hours to read, and I thought it was that good, that I didn't even stop to have my lunch, once I started it. I never thought I could feel more proud of Amanda, but I was wrong. I'm still overcome with emotions. I loved every single bit of it. Very rarely a book will make me laugh out loud or cry, yet The art of Asking succeeded in both! Here is a small review I wrote on GoodReads, and hopefully as more people read it we can have a lengthier discussion here.

I knew I would give this book five stars even before I started reading it. Being an Amanda Palmer fan for almost a decade now, I wasn't new to the concepts of Connecting the Dots, belonging to an amazing Community or trying to make peace with The Fraud Police. When I learned about the content of the book I was certain I would enjoy it immensely! For any fan (not even the hardcore kind), this seemed like it would be a nice summary of what we've known for years through her blog, tweets, gigs speeches, intimate meet and greets, etc. I had no expectations of anything more, yet even despite my blind faith that this was going to be an amazing read, it turned out to be even more than that.

Just when I thought Amanda couldn't get any more open and personal about her life, she did. Just when I thought she couldn't surprise me any more pleasantly about her view on things, she did. Just when I thought my meetings with her and the experiences we've shared couldn't feel any more precious, she managed to achieve that by putting everything in a larger-than-life perspective.

If you pick up a copy of this book, having been a fan of her various activities already, get ready for a strong validation of your admiration feelings towards that special relationship you know exists between you and her and the community. If on the other hand you receive this book, without having any idea what you're getting yourself into, I feel a bit envious of you, because you're in for a special treat!

The Art of Asking is an autobiography, self-help guide, novel, poetry book all wrapt up into one unapologetically generous shot of emotions right to the heart. A gift must always move yet somehow this book is a gift that will probably never leave you.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »

Interview with Maria Popova
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u8kSiylePVI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u8kSiylePVI</a>

also:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YszsVZ3E5Eo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YszsVZ3E5Eo</a>

Miss Sahara

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »

Im about halfway through the book. Oh my god. This brings back so many memories of being a fan.

Im loving it so far...a lot of the stories i have heard or read on blogs and interviews before but having them collected in one one big story is great. Its beatifully written and I dont really want the book to end (and at the same time i cant really put it aside). It gives me all kinds of feelings....it reminds me of all the time and energy i invested being a fan and all the energy i got out of it....from being a confused 19year old in 2006 going to the dolls shows with my face painted white to posting my belly up here in 2008 and all the things i learned through amanda....comparing my own emotional confusion and questions to the questions amanda was always asking and sometimes trying to answer. It is clear to me that there is no other stranger on this planet i have learned nearly as much from over the years (because she managed to strike a chord with me time and again), and even though i feel guilty for not following and being that invested anymore since 2010ish and feeling that the tight net grew too fast (adding too many fish at once) since twitter and the ted thing....i am genuinely happy for her exposure and will always be indebted to this woman for reminding me to keep dreaming and trusting and inspiring me to try to inspire others by being honest to and about myself. (Even though i may not have become a songwriter like i was convinced in 2006 i would (eventually), i managed to make someone intensly emotionally connect to me through a song this year for the first time, and that connection is one of the most beautiful things that ever happened to me...and for many reasons this would never have happened without the inspiration from amanda).
I think i might give this book to some people so they can understand better why i was so crazy about a frickin rockband, what shaped me and maybe...make them see some things with new eyes for themselves. But first, off to read the second half.

------
edit: ok i could, in fact, not stop reading and finished it in one more sitting. I think i will be in an strange after-book bubble for a WHILE, thinking about life, death and, most of all, all kinds of relationships....

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:26:56 AM »

I've only had time to read bits and pieces of the book so far but what is most moving to me is the things I don't know about. As a camp follower of this circus, I thought I knew the story, but this is like getting the missing pieces of a puzzle. When Amanda goes silent, something is wrong. She's open about so much, but not everything and one learns to read the silence and hope that things will work out. I read the Edinburgh segment last night and was so sad. I always wondered what happened in those weeks. It also feels very personal and almost too intimate. This is our story as well and I feel proud and nervous that's it out there in the world.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »

I have a very short review over at Goodreads.
Even more open and motivating than I expected.

Just read the obvious sections that weren't in the test read.
The rest will wait until after the book tour.
getting started:

further back:

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »

I wish there was an index! Maybe in the Collector's Edition...  ;)

When I was little, probably 4, I fell down the stairs at my grandmother's house, head over heels. I remember thinking I was going to die but then I felt myself float down the bottom two steps. It felt like I had been lifted and turned so I landed safely. I thought it was ghosts or some kind of house magic. I had forgotten about it until Amanda mentioned a similar incident. I did tell my grandparents but they paid it no mind since I wasn't hurt. Unlike Amanda's fall, it didn't cause an existential crisis.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »

I wish there was an index as well.
And a colophon with the kind of detail on design and typeface history
that gets one interested in book and type design.

Perhaps in a the Art of Asking Companion?

Of course, there could be a fan developed web index,
perhaps on a wiki.

I saw somewhere (a tweet of Amanda's?)
that there might be an edition with typos fixed.

Little on Amanda's Wikipedia bio article about either
the TED talk or this book.
getting started:

further back:

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »

Feeling a bit confused by the book, I verified that the Dolls were release from Roadrunner in April 2010 and the Amanda Todd blog post was Jan 2013. I understand the need to make a narrative, but having lived through it, I needed to confirm my memory. Posting this in case it helps others!

AnaRusalka

• Bot Detection Mistress
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »

So far (and I'm about 100 pages from the end), the book has been a crazy emotional ride. I suppose, as a person that struggles so much, from both a place of social anxiety and self-loathing, to be comfortable not just with asking but even with wanting... the book hit me hard. One of the most memorable and poignant passages to me was about her and Neil after their sushi dinner, both of them sick as dogs, and Neil withdraws again. Finally, she asks him why he pulls away, why he pulled away before, and he explains that it was just the way he was taught to behave with sick people. She asks him, carefully, thoughtfully, to please give her love and reassurance when she is sick. He asks her if she ever asked him before, and she realized she hadn't... that she'd expected. I've encountered situations like this over and over and over... and stumbled at the asking, petrified to even let on that I want something, much the less asked only to realize that I had expected. Amanda doesn't even stumble on it. She had expected something, just a fact, and the conversation just moves on. She and Neil just work out what she needs, and she demonstrates for him, and they both leave feeling loved and seen.

I've been thinking about it all day long, how simple that should be, and how needlessly I place judgement values on myself for things like wanting, asking, and expecting. Every page of her book, not just this one, has been challenging that inner voice that says "you can't have this, you're disgusting for even wanting this, how dare you." She didn't just write a book about artists, or about crowd-funding, or even about giving and asking... she wrote a book about love, about connection, about self-acceptance, and about the beauty in being able to have faith in your fellow humans not to question what you're worth or what you deserve to receive.

tl;dr Amanda Palmer's book is changing my life, page by page.
The beautiful artwork for my avatar can be found at http://vmbui.deviantart.com/art/fishbowl-133354297

Please support this amazing artist. Her work is incredible. :3

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »

So far (and I'm about 100 pages from the end), the book has been a crazy emotional ride. I suppose, as a person that struggles so much, from both a place of social anxiety and self-loathing, to be comfortable not just with asking but even with wanting... the book hit me hard. One of the most memorable and poignant passages to me was about her and Neil after their sushi dinner, both of them sick as dogs, and Neil withdraws again. Finally, she asks him why he pulls away, why he pulled away before, and he explains that it was just the way he was taught to behave with sick people. She asks him, carefully, thoughtfully, to please give her love and reassurance when she is sick. He asks her if she ever asked him before, and she realized she hadn't... that she'd expected. I've encountered situations like this over and over and over... and stumbled at the asking, petrified to even let on that I want something, much the less asked only to realize that I had expected. Amanda doesn't even stumble on it. She had expected something, just a fact, and the conversation just moves on. She and Neil just work out what she needs, and she demonstrates for him, and they both leave feeling loved and seen.

I've been thinking about it all day long, how simple that should be, and how needlessly I place judgement values on myself for things like wanting, asking, and expecting. Every page of her book, not just this one, has been challenging that inner voice that says "you can't have this, you're disgusting for even wanting this, how dare you." She didn't just write a book about artists, or about crowd-funding, or even about giving and asking... she wrote a book about love, about connection, about self-acceptance, and about the beauty in being able to have faith in your fellow humans not to question what you're worth or what you deserve to receive.

tl;dr Amanda Palmer's book is changing my life, page by page.

thank you
getting started:

further back:

AnaRusalka

• Bot Detection Mistress
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »

The beautiful artwork for my avatar can be found at http://vmbui.deviantart.com/art/fishbowl-133354297

Please support this amazing artist. Her work is incredible. :3

lentower

• len's web sight
getting started:

further back:
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up