THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amanda's Fourth Album/Next Release - News, Speculation, and The Like.  (Read 9635 times)

TMCBryan

So the past couple months Amanda has made it clear she's been in the recording studio, presumably for a new album. She posted pictures of her collection of old tapes and said she went through them for songs to re-record/spruce up/get ideas from. She also said she would debut a new song with Zoe Keating on cello on her book tour. Any ideas of what to expect? Hopes? Dreams? Nonrealistic fantasies?

Well of course I expect Bigger on the Inside to be recorded. I hope Ambien finally makes the cut, seeing it was removed from WKAP AND TIE. Also hoping for Mary's Surgeon and maybe Echo Gallery to be re-recorded. Sandy's Song would be a dream come true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone else?

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Amanda's Fourth Album/Next Release - News, Speculation, and The Like.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:43 PM »

some of the new songs from the Bed Show at Bard,
could make a future album.
(i'm into theatre, much more than set lists.)

after the pre-show ended,
amanda asked they and the play not be recorded.
and she was right - they all need more work.
the contrast with the "finished" songs at Bard,
that have been on the albums, was striking. 
the new ones had all the unfinished rawness,
of all her songs early live debuts

i'm not sure how soon, we all should expect a next album.
getting back into the recording studio could well have partially been
to flex those "muscles" after the eight months of being a book hermit.
be patient.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:18:37 AM »

I would really like a Bed Show recording. It doesn't have to be of the actual show, but even a later studio recording of it would be amazing. Only a very tiny percentage of the fans had the opportunity to be part of it, and even though I understand that not everything can be accessible for everyone, this show seems like a very defining moment for her, that I'd hate to miss completely!I still hate the fact that most of us didn't get to experience Cabaret in any form apart from some photos.

As for the next album, the only thing that I'd be really looking forward to, is a decent stripped down ukulele version of The thing about things. A couple of years ago when she was in Brighton I suggested she played that song on the beach after midnight for a few of her fans (which she did with pleasure), and it was one of the most memorable experiences I'd ever had with Amanda. After that I met her a few more times in house parties and similar intimate appearances, and I kept requesting the same song, and she kept playing it saying how much she likes it.

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

I would really like a Bed Show recording. It doesn't have to be of the actual show, but even a later studio recording of it would be amazing. Only a very tiny percentage of the fans had the opportunity to be part of it, and even though I understand that not everything can be accessible for everyone, this show seems like a very defining moment for her, that I'd hate to miss completely!I still hate the fact that most of us didn't get to experience Cabaret in any form apart from some photos.

I wished the Bed Show had been recorded as well.
Getting there took a lot out of me health-wise,
as did both Boston book tour events two & three nights later.

With Cabaret, it's my understanding that the A.R.T. didn't allow recording. 
Perhaps because the owner of the rights to Cabaret wouldn't allow it,
or wanted too much money or too much artistic control to allow it.

I have no idea what Amanda's contract with Bard was/is,
but that might a reason why recordings weren't made.
(Though the request to stop recording wasn't made until
 the pre-show was over, and requests were made to turn phones
 off, etc.)
She does have a history of asking fans to not record works in progress,
that she doesn''t consider "finished".

As for the next album, the only thing that I'd be really looking forward to, is a decent stripped down ukulele version of The thing about things. A couple of years ago when she was in Brighton I suggested she played that song on the beach after midnight for a few of her fans (which she did with pleasure), and it was one of the most memorable experiences I'd ever had with Amanda. After that I met her a few more times in house parties and similar intimate appearances, and I kept requesting the same song, and she kept playing it saying how much she likes it.

That could be an awesome track.
You could email that desire to her, via the addresses at
http://amandapalmer.net/contact/
getting started:

further back:

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »

having Ambien on the album would be a DREAM COME TRUE. the song is incredible, and i really don't understand how how it wasn't on WKAP.

wasn't it revisited for TIE, even? i wish she'd released it along with the other bonus tracks :(

how old is The Thing About Things? it's really an awesome song, i've grown to love it.

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »

how old is The Thing About Things? it's really an awesome song, i've grown to love it.

Apr 2013

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:55:58 AM »

Apr 2013

Ah right. I'd love to see this, BOTI, and Ambien on the next album. Wishful thinking? Yes

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »

Apr 2013

Ah right. I'd love to see this, BOTI, and Ambien on the next album. Wishful thinking? Yes
I'd like to think that The Thing About Things and Bigger On The Inside are very likely to appear on the next album.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »

Apr 2013

I'd like to think that The Thing About Things and Bigger On The Inside are very likely to appear on the next album.

I really have not been following her as well as I should for updates on new music and stuff. What is the best way to be up to date? Her Twitter?

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »

Apr 2013

I really have not been following her as well as I should for updates on new music and stuff. What is the best way to be up to date? Her Twitter?

a combination of twitter and facebook I guess. That's where she's most active these days.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »

Apr 2013

a combination of twitter and facebook I guess. That's where she's most active these days.

Awesome, thank you! I'm so excited. I don't really count it as her fourth album though, since GDU is less a full real album to me and more a random sort of collection.

WKAP and TIE are her two solo albums to me, and RH and GDU are side projects haha

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »

WKAP and TIE are her two solo albums to me, and RH and GDU are side projects haha

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's even hard for me to think of TIE as another solo album, since it was such a huge kickstarter project, and it involved a band, it feels like a side project as well.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's even hard for me to think of TIE as another solo album, since it was such a huge kickstarter project, and it involved a band, it feels like a side project as well.

True but its very much an amanda record, don't ya think? I do, at least. Amanda has a...very messy discography. Not that it's bad, just that SHE has officially released one album. you know?

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »

True but its very much an amanda record, don't ya think? I do, at least. Amanda has a...very messy discography. Not that it's bad, just that SHE has officially released one album. you know?

It definitely is an Amanda record!

I guess her life and especially her creative process since she left the label, is so well documented, that it feels as if she's not releasing anything officialy, just sharing her new creations with the fanbase/community/family/whatever-you-feel-like-callin-it.

Sometimes I think that the most exciting thing would be to announce a new album a few days before the actual release date. I'd like to get to discover a new Amanda album from scratch, without having heard any demos/live recordings/early versions of the songs, etc.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »

It definitely is an Amanda record!

I guess her life and especially her creative process since she left the label, is so well documented, that it feels as if she's not releasing anything officialy, just sharing her new creations with the fanbase/community/family/whatever-you-feel-like-callin-it.

Sometimes I think that the most exciting thing would be to announce a new album a few days before the actual release date. I'd like to get to discover a new Amanda album from scratch, without having heard any demos/live recordings/early versions of the songs, etc.

I agree, but I've had it easy. I wasn't a fan before WKAP, so all those songs were new to me, and then with TIE, most people hadn't heard the songs (and if they had, it was live), so that was mostly new too.

I hope the next album is the same way, and I hope that it IS an album. She makes very good albums

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »

I stayed away from any live recordings of the TIE songs from the 2011 preview tour, but still since the day of the Kickstarter Launch, I couldn't stop having the video on repeat listening to the bits of the new songs. Also I'd backed the 7" summer invasion, and i couldn't resist listening to the singles as they were delivered to me, before the actual album release. By the time the album was officially out, I was already already acquainted with half of the songs.

I agree though that she makes amazing albums, and I'm looking forward to the next one. I hope it's also a physical release as well, still haven't gotten used to just digital releases.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »

I stayed away from any live recordings of the TIE songs from the 2011 preview tour, but still since the day of the Kickstarter Launch, I couldn't stop having the video on repeat listening to the bits of the new songs. Also I'd backed the 7" summer invasion, and i couldn't resist listening to the singles as they were delivered to me, before the actual album release. By the time the album was officially out, I was already already acquainted with half of the songs.

I agree though that she makes amazing albums, and I'm looking forward to the next one. I hope it's also a physical release as well, still haven't gotten used to just digital releases.

I know! I have WKAP, GDU, and TIE all on cd. I'd love RH as well, but has she even printed CDs of that?

I'm sure there will be a physical version of the next album! Well, hopefully. And I hope backers or whatever still get a nice big deluxe version!

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »

I have the Radiohead album on cd as well. There re still copies for sale on her shop. She never "officially" announced the release of it on cd, but she used to sell it on some of her gigs.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

I have the Radiohead album on cd as well. There re still copies for sale on her shop. She never "officially" announced the release of it on cd, but she used to sell it on some of her gigs.

ooh, thank you for letting me know that! i'dlove to have all four of her solo releases on CD!

(though, having three CD-size CDs, and then the backer edition of TIE does look strange. even though the backer edition of TIE is beatiful)

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »

I went crazy with the TIE release, so apart from the KS version I also got both the American and Australian regular CD-size editions.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »

I went crazy with the TIE release, so apart from the KS version I also got both the American and Australian regular CD-size editions.

Yeah I need to do that, I'd love to support her, too. TIE really is a fantastic album. I hope she can top it with the next :)

No ukulele though!

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »

Yeah I need to do that, I'd love to support her, too. TIE really is a fantastic album. I hope she can top it with the next :)

No ukulele though!
I don't mind ukulele when it's appropriate for the song. I've said it before and I'll say it again The thing about things sounds sooooo much better on the uke than on the piano, in my humble opinion. I guess my one and only request would be to have a full studio album instead of something similar to Goes Down Under.

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »

No ukulele though!
I don't mind ukulele when it's appropriate for the song. I've said it before and I'll say it again The thing about things sounds sooooo much better on the uke than on the piano, in my humble opinion. I guess my one and only request would be to have a full studio album instead of something similar to Goes Down Under.

I haven't heard it on ukulele but it's a sad song and i guess I can't imagine that lining up with the silly sounding ukulele. I like the ukulele on RH and GDU for what they are, but they're easily her worst quality releases.

Her in piano is perfect

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »

I'm just going to leave this here  O0
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iRFFKCatReA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iRFFKCatReA</a>

It's not my fave version of the song, but I think it still proves my point  :)

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »

Wow it's like In My Mind 2.0!! It's really nice. Still better on piano imo but I was surprised

Hakushi

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »

Ya know what I'd really like from Amanda on this next foray she (might be) doing? It would be awesome if she came somewhere (anywhere!) near me, so I could see her live ...

and give her a hug.

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:12 PM »

My denial fingers crossed for the inclusion of Don't Take the Flowers, Owe me a coke and Awful Detail

And Manray too actually.

Super fuzzy recordings leave so much mystery, but also leave a lot of room for disappointment too

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:30 PM »

Ya know what I'd really like from Amanda on this next foray she (might be) doing? It would be awesome if she came somewhere (anywhere!) near me, so I could see her live ...

and give her a hug.

where are you located?
getting started:

further back:

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 03:33:38 AM »

Last month Amanda was included on the Amazon's Holiday playlist covering The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came. Don't know why this isn't posted anywhere. Yesterday amazon uploaded the tracks on their youtube channel, so you can listen to the track here:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DJAlbpC5Nxo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DJAlbpC5Nxo</a>
Christmas album anyone?

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »

Last month Amanda was included on the Amazon's Holiday playlist covering The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came. Don't know why this isn't posted anywhere. Yesterday amazon uploaded the tracks on their youtube channel, so you can listen to the track here:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DJAlbpC5Nxo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DJAlbpC5Nxo</a>
Christmas album anyone?

I'd be so angry f she released a Christmas album.

As to an above poster, I'd be so happy if she released those songs as well, but they're WKAP outtakes.... We know she recorded at least Owe Me A Coke, idk about the other three, but does she own those songs/recordings, or does her old label? Idk how that stuff works

Hakushi

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »

Lentower, I am in southern New Mexico. The closest I've heard Amanda came to me was in Santa Fe with Neil on "An Evening With ...". That's a long drive (by myself). I was jazzed to see the "ride shares" thread, but alas, this tour comes nowhere (feasibly) near. (Or maybe I'm just a wuss about long drives...?)

Sadfaces.

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »

Christmas album anyone?

As to an above poster, I'd be so happy if she released those songs as well, but they're WKAP outtakes.... We know she recorded at least Owe Me A Coke, idk about the other three, but does she own those songs/recordings, or does her old label? Idk how that stuff works

Yes, PHUI on a traditional Christmas album.
I be quite happy if Amanda released a Punk Cabaret Christmas album.

Stuff on the WKAP album most probably "belongs" to her ex-label.

I suspect songs that weren't released while she was with the ex-label are
Amanda's, but I'm not a music copyright lawyer.
getting started:

further back:

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »

Lentower, I am in southern New Mexico. The closest I've heard Amanda came to me was in Santa Fe with Neil on "An Evening With ...". That's a long drive (by myself). I was jazzed to see the "ride shares" thread, but alas, this tour comes nowhere (feasibly) near. (Or maybe I'm just a wuss about long drives...?)

Sadfaces.

Albuquerque or Santa Fe is as close as she's likely to get.
Touring goes where there is a concentration of fans,
where she is paid enough for a private show,
or where Amanda is for other reasons.
(I believe she has family of friends in Santa Fe.)

Yes, : - {{{

Hopefully you'll help some other locals become fans of Amanda,
so car pooling becomes a possibility in the future.

Or a fan cluster blossoms in El Paso.
getting started:

further back:

TMCBryan

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »

Christmas album anyone?

Yes, PHUI on a traditional Christmas album.
I be quite happy if Amanda released a Punk Cabaret Christmas album.

Stuff on the WKAP album most probably "belongs" to her ex-label.

I suspect songs that weren't released while she was with the ex-label are
Amanda's, but I'm not a music copyright lawyer.

Well Provanity, The Assistant, and Not Mine were also WKAP B-Sides but were released as Kickstarter bonuses. So I think you're right that she still has the sole rights.

Merk

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »

i'm sooooooo out of the loop. loving the xmas track, theres not any other tracks that we have missed is there?

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »

i'm sooooooo out of the loop. loving the xmas track, theres not any other tracks that we have missed is there?

For Jason Webley's Margaret project, she recorded a song called sunlight. Don't know if you can listen to it anywhere it didn't make it on the final album, but on a bonus disc I got as a kickstarter backer of the project. Apparently some xmas orders from Jason's website included the bonus disc as well!

Code: [Select]
"Sunlight" by Amanda Palmer
Eight Foot Music (ASCAP)
Text by Margaret Rucker
Piano/Vocals: Amanda Palmer

lentower

• len's web sight
getting started:

further back:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up