THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art Of Asking - Extras!  (Read 2729 times)

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
The Art Of Asking - Extras!
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:12:00 AM »

When I was reading the book I was so pleased to realise that I knew most of the stories and events. Being a long time fan meant that Amanda's blog and twitter feed and interviews have been the raw material that the book ties up to an amazingly heartfelt and powerful narration.For some of those stories I tried to go back to the archives and check again the original events as they were unfolding back in the day. I thought I'd start this thread so people after reading the book can post their favourite parts and a link to the corresponding blogpost, youtube vid, newspaper article, etc. Also, this could be used as a request thread.

e.g. "In that chapter, Amanda mentions the story in which Blake .... does anyone remember any blogposts about Blake, I'd love to read more about him"

In my mind the book was an amazing read, but we're lucky enough to have over a decade of material from Amanda that could be used as indices, or extended reading material.

Obviously this thead will contain major SPOILERS, so proceed with caution if you haven't read the book!

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
Re: The Art Of Asking - Extras!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:24:44 AM »

One of the most shocking stories in the book for me was the one about the girl who claimed to have lost her entire family to the terrible Christchurch earthquake. Apparently the story was a lie , yet at the time many fans offered to help and even Amanda reached out to her in many ways. Even after reading that the story was more likely a fake one, I still have my doubts. Even if she didn't lose anyone, she said she was 17 at the time, and to make up a story like this, means that she was really going through something very tough and sad and she needed some comforting. Four years later, she would be 21 now. I'd love to read her side of the story, make sure she's alright, offer some help if she still needs it. I tried to find her, but haven't succeeded yet. I also found the blogpost of the story, which led me to one of Amanda's drawings that I'd forgotten about. 

"can't sleep. liquefaction, 6.3 but shallow"

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »

For some of those stories I tried to go back to the archives and check again the original events as they were unfolding back in the day. I thought I'd start this thread so people after reading the book can post their favourite parts and a link to the corresponding blogpost, youtube vid, newspaper article, etc. Also, this could be used as a request thread.

To add to the "link to archive" options:

The version of our forum before this one has a late snapshot here
(so it has none of the posts made after the archive date, Dec. 16 2008):
http://web.archive.org/web/20081216162125/http://www.theshadowbox.net/ddbb/

You'll have to use a web search engine to search it, setting the "restrict to host" parameter to this link.

This archive has only the content, and none of the special features, like Search, PM, e-mail forwarding, etc.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »

Another sbox thread where fans discussed TAoA:
http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=47953.0
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...
Pages: [1]   Go Up