THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "THE ART OF ASKING" bookswap/wishlist/angel thread!  (Read 6811 times)

Pedrote

Re: "THE ART OF ASKING" bookswap/wishlist/angel thread!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »

I haven't had a home for the last year and a half, getting by living on people's couches while I got myself through school in a city 5 hours away, and it's meant a LOT of asking for help. Even after all that, I still hate doing it, even writing this feels sort of awful. If there was anyone willing to help me get this book, it would mean the world to me, but either way, I love so much that this is happening. Lots of love, folks.

http://amzn.com/w/13EMFOGSYLHU4

Done. Enjoy it!

hellodarlin

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »

I am a struggling artist and poet that has made the leap for the first time in my 29 years of existence to try to.make a living at my art and writing. Things are really.hard and slow moving and I'm scraping by...I am not the most deserving of this book to be gifted, for sure, but my heart would be over the moon to receive a copy since I currently cannot afford to purchase my own. Please....and thank you to all the kind souls making this world a warmer place for us all. <3 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/ref=ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&lid=YFJ552DEPBFK&ty=wishlist

Steampug

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »

I haven't had a home for the last year and a half, getting by living on people's couches while I got myself through school in a city 5 hours away, and it's meant a LOT of asking for help. Even after all that, I still hate doing it, even writing this feels sort of awful. If there was anyone willing to help me get this book, it would mean the world to me, but either way, I love so much that this is happening. Lots of love, folks.

http://amzn.com/w/13EMFOGSYLHU4

Done. Enjoy it!

Thank you so much! Means so much to me. I can't wait to read it!

invicat

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »

I've never been good at asking for help. Especially financial help. It's one thing to go into a government office and fill out some paperwork and be told you qualify for state aid. Quite another to turn to someone you're supposed to be close to, someone you trust, a parent perhaps, and to be scared of asking them for help for something as simple as diapers because your toddler has had a bad week, diarrhea, and you are going to run out before you had anticipated, well before payday.
I've always been afraid of asking family for things. Massive fear of "no," I guess.
The TED talk was beautiful and inspiring and it helps to watch it when I am down. I still find it easier to ask strangers for help instead of family, though.
We just moved. Rent is higher, I'm not working, toddler is still in diapers, and there's a baby on the way. We make ends meet, but barely. No extra cash for anything we don't need.
I don't /need/ this book. I can make that distinction. But I'd like it, if someone is willing and able to help. When I can, I'd like to pay it forward.
http://amzn.com/w/2C7RR9IMU55WZ

ETA: Someone appears to have sneakily granted my wish! The book is no longer showing up on my wishlist. Thank you anonymous gifter person!

Cloughley

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »

Enigmatic Pariah
I have received it, and while I would have preferred to buy a hard copy, unfortunately it was going to cost US$20 to post it here. (pretty sure amazon makes a killing off international postage)
I am trying to figure out how I can pass on the res of the gift card to someone else, maybe they can also get the ebook format.

It still feels that thank you is insufficient for what you have done, but Thank you with all my heart.

ErlCazares

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »

Hellooo..

I moved to a new city 3 months ago with all of my belongings crammed into my 1997 Maxima. No friends, no family and really not knowing anything of this new place. But I moved for school, and I'm studying Art Education, with a focus in painting.. I'm currently trying up juggle an early morning barista job with a late night food running gig, and maybe some spare time in between to work on my classes.. I don't have much, but most of what I do have are books.. I love them, and in times of frustration and loneliness, I turn to them. I would absolutely love to have Amanda Palmer's book to carry around with me wherever else I may wander. If anyone could help, of course that would be Amazing! But also really hopeful for people, humanity (:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/ref=mw_dp_wl_v?&lid=I679IQFM5EGB&ty=wishlist

Sarah_Serinde

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »

Okay, I've been waffling about asking, because while I am unemployed (sigh), I do still have SOME funds. I just don't feel like I can justify buying the book right now. But if someone does want to give it to me, I could make you a small thing in return! I embroider things like these: http://bit.ly/1lqUGBO (it's an old post but it's a good sample of my stuff).

I'm most interested in the audiobook, but I'm happy with anything that's easy/affordable (I don't have a kindle but I'm sure I can figure out the kindle app if I need to). Here's my wishlist: http://www.amazon.ca/registry/wishlist/24TRI8IW3YRF3. Thanks so much for any help. <3

Edit: A lovely person has sent me a copy. Thank you lovely person!

EnigmaticPariah

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »

Cloughley, I was terribly unaware of that high a shipping cost. Likely because I still have a Prime account that has yet to run out, shipping wasn't even that bad for another order I'd placed earlier to Croatia!

Is it possible under their terms to refund it, still? I would feel much better knowing you had the physical copy with another GC, especially since you advocated passing it forward once you were done.

Also, another small group of messages going out shortly.

RevChick

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »

Thank you! Thank You! I wrote this last night and within just a few hours a kind soul ordered it for me! 
:love5:  :love5:  :love5:

I need this book. I have been trying to make positive changes in my life for myself and my 2 yr old daughter, but fuck man it's hard and I need inspirations like Amanda's words to remind me I am worth it.
So please and thank you to anyone who might be kind enough to help me out. Kindle, Paperback, Hardback, Audio, whatever... It will be paid forward in more ways than one.
~Love, Peace, & Kindness~
Angie http://amzn.com/w/1QLEH4TC4LOUW

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

another thread about this
http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=48004.msg483955#msg483955
I've seen a lot of people on social media that say they cannot afford to buy the book, and quite a few who offered to buy it for them, so maybe it's a good idea to have a thread where people can post their request/offer for the book. I will try to update this post as more people join in, with the list of the users needing a book. As long as someone gets the book, I can write them off the list. I promise to buy one book for someone myself, but sadly I can only afford one right now.

helpful guidelines:
-To avoid having a lot of people coming to this thread and leaving replies in the style of "I want one too", if you want a book but cannot afford it, maybe it would be better to write about how important it is for you to read the book, or why you cannot afford it, so people who want to gift one can decide for themselves to whom they want to gift it.
-Also the best way to arrange for the exchange of personal details, would be via private messages here or on twitter/fb/email. So make sure to provide that information as well on every post.
-If you don't want to share your details online but still want a book, you can add it to your amazon wish list and share the link of your wishlist here. Someone can then buy it for you without having to enter your details. Make sure you follow this helpful guide here.
-Finally, as soon as you know someone is buying you a book/you buy a book for someone, mention it on the thread so I can take the name off the list.

Happy Sharing everyone!

no need to post in both of them
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

katswank104

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 11:50:28 PM »

I have been blessed over on mosaic by a wonderful woman in TN. My book is on its way to me, my handmade something will be crafted tomorrow to send to her. She apparently helped two others as well. Several people have asked for her address to help thank her. This community is just amazing! Thank you to all the gifters. You brighten all our lives by being a part of them.

S4thekaus

Re: "THE ART OF ASKING" NEED!!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 01:35:32 AM »

Would love a copy. Also one that is struggling this season. I would be truly thankful if anyone out there could assist with this amazing deal Thank you in advance!
http://amzn.com/w/2B5IKJ0944RN0

EnigmaticPariah

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 02:21:41 AM »

Revchick's will be shipping this week. Waiting out some other replies before I pass the opportunity to others.

Much love to you all, and my hopes we can get everyone take care of! <3

lady_iduna

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 05:29:17 AM »

Hi! I'm poor of cash and also tech skills (but geez, I'm a bloody good gardener!)...

SO, hope I'm getting this all right!

I would love, love, love if someone could send me a copy of "The Art of Asking"...
I'm really not picky, dem words is dem words, but do like the idea of a used and loved paper copy that I can then also (inf)use with love and pass on!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/386YTKBVLGA4/ref=cm_wl_add_dupe?_encoding=UTF8&layout=&msg=message-duplicate-asin-info&msgid=&promote.asin.0349408092=1&sid=277-4225008-2925509&submit.promote=1

I copied that from my amazon account, I strongly suspect it is not the correct way to do this, but I'm more a pen and paper and dirt under the fingernails kinda lady, thus I will also include my email address here: lady_iduna@hotmail.com

Thank you for all of this, just creating this whole thing - and that means you, Amanda + EVERYONE!!

LURVE FROM ME!

Cloughley

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 05:39:01 AM »

someone that wants a kindle cloud version, could you please pm me?

Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up