THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maura's TEDx Talk  (Read 1426 times)

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
Maura's TEDx Talk
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »

Hi guys! So I had the opportunity to have a TEDx talk recently, and I thought this seemed like the place to share it. It's about the importance of queer voices in literature! Hope y'all enjoy it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8etnSTnX92g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8etnSTnX92g</a>
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
Re: Maura's TEDx Talk
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »

Nicely done! I was really struck by your point that we need these narratives for young people coming out now. We're not "post-queer" just as we're not "post-racial". Gay characters on TV don't make getting through high school any easier. What if we lived in a world where "coming out" was about the same level of importance as deciding what instrument to learn in music class?
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
Re: Maura's TEDx Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:41:50 AM »

Nicely done! I was really struck by your point that we need these narratives for young people coming out now. We're not "post-queer" just as we're not "post-racial". Gay characters on TV don't make getting through high school any easier. What if we lived in a world where "coming out" was about the same level of importance as deciding what instrument to learn in music class?

Exactly! And you know, it's totally important to have queer voices on television, but very few movies and television shows become "timeless", in the same sense as literature anyway.
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up