THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Action Painting  (Read 2340 times)

andrea

Action Painting
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »

Has anybody ever done this type of painting?  I'm painting something for my friend's living room and this is the style we decided to go with.  I've always been interested in it but it wasn't something I ever thought I would do.  I've been looking around online for tips and things but if anyone here has any first hand experience that they would be willing to share that would be great.  Types of paint to use, tools, anything that might add onto the ideas I already have!  Thanks!

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
Re: Action Painting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »

Jackson Pollock has already beat you to it. And his work sucks, too.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:44 PM »

emulsions are good for this sort of work, but it is best to try to get paints that vary greatly in consitency and texture......
try a mix of gloss vinyls and mattes, and water some down or thicken others....... all you need is a decent sized space to throw the paint around! word of warning, you will end up covered in paints that do not wash out easily and will stick in your hair
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »

I generally shy away from stuff like that. What if you end up not liking it, or you want to change it in a few years? You can't just cover it up, it's got too much texture. But don't listen to me, I've always wanted to cover my ceilings in astroturf.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »

the trick is to not worry too much about the outcome..... just enjoy the experience.

astroturf is excellent and should definitely cover your ceilings!

@raliel

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

the trick is to not worry too much about the outcome..... just enjoy the experience.

astroturf is excellent and should definitely cover your ceilings!

It's even better when put on cars, especially when you cut the roof off the 1980s Volkswagen rabbit that's getting the treatment
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »

david byrne ( of Talking Heads fame ) had an astroturf suit

@raliel

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:45:26 AM »

A couple weeks ago I went to an improv bass rock band's concert and they had a guy doing action painting to the music.  He had two sheets of butcher paper that were crossed slightly off center, making it look like a cross.  Even with using copious amounts of red paint, he didn't end up bringing in a Jesus theme, which was disappointing, because that could have been really cool.  The moral is to start with nothing, and then figure out where the painting is going and take it in that direction.  Otherwise you're just painting haphazardly.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »

A couple weeks ago I went to an improv bass rock band's concert and they had a guy doing action painting to the music.  He had two sheets of butcher paper that were crossed slightly off center, making it look like a cross.  Even with using copious amounts of red paint, he didn't end up bringing in a Jesus theme, which was disappointing, because that could have been really cool.  The moral is to start with nothing, and then figure out where the painting is going and take it in that direction.  Otherwise you're just painting haphazardly.
...so... you're disappointed that his finished product didn't conform to your first impression of what it might be?
...or was he clearly trying to create some sort of crucified/Christ figure, and he simply failed?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 05:15:17 AM »

...so... you're disappointed that his finished product didn't conform to your first impression of what it might be?
...or was he clearly trying to create some sort of crucified/Christ figure, and he simply failed?
I'm disappointed that my impression of action painting, judging from this and some other works I have seen, ignores the possibility of the work taking on some meaning or symbolism when it comes up during the course of the painting.  You could have figured this out if you read the last two sentences of my original post.  Also, in regards to your little italics, take any class where you critique each others' work and tell me that people don't hold their own opinions of a piece higher than those are the artist.  It's not about what the artist creates but how you interpret it.  I didn't go and tell him that I didn't like the way he went with the thing, but I can still be annoyed by what he did and didn't do.  Art isn't perfection just because it's art, nor is anyone's opinion infallible, neither the viewer's or the artist's, so excuse me for expressing mine.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »

I am not personally, a major fan of abstract art.....
 however, I see action painting, more akin to performance than normal painting, the finished work being not really important, but the process being the important part.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

I'm disappointed that my impression of action painting, judging from this and some other works I have seen, ignores the possibility of the work taking on some meaning or symbolism when it comes up during the course of the painting.  You could have figured this out if you read the last two sentences of my original post.  Also, in regards to your little italics, take any class where you critique each others' work and tell me that people don't hold their own opinions of a piece higher than those are the artist.  It's not about what the artist creates but how you interpret it.  I didn't go and tell him that I didn't like the way he went with the thing, but I can still be annoyed by what he did and didn't do.  Art isn't perfection just because it's art, nor is anyone's opinion infallible, neither the viewer's or the artist's, so excuse me for expressing mine.
That's why I asked.
You're entitled to your opinion, he's entitled to give a rat's ass what either of us thinks, and I probably
wouldn't have much use for his work with or without obvious meaning....  but I really just wanted to know
what you found disappointing, not to judge your reasoning.  From my perspective, the only time someone
else's opinion of your art is of any consequence is if you're trying to turn that opinion into money. It's not
that their opinion might not be entirely valid, but you either like/appreciate a work of art or you don't, and
the evaluation is by definition subjective.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up