THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Break-ups  (Read 1206 times)

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
Break-ups
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:15:32 AM »

Tell us your break-up stories. It doesn't get much more emo than this people.

Okay then...

Somewhere around the age of seventeen I am sitting on a wooden bench in front of a cafe in Glenbrook, one of the many towns in the Blue Mountains. I have driven my first car here, possibly for the first time. I am three months into the longest relationship I have ever had and things aren't going well. I have come here to talk to my girlfriend face to face about what's going on. She is wearing a net-ball uniform as she approaches and she sits down beside me. She is not attractive, but she is frightening, which is a brilliant characteristic in a girl.  I have an inner monologue of thoughts prepared and I go over them but they don't quite come out right. I end up saying something like 'look, I know things aren't going well, but I'm happy to start over if you are'. She asks me if this is really the reason I have her here today. I wonder what she means. She tells me about how angry she is and that she just lost a netball match in a very accusatory tone, as if I am somehow responsible. I would later learn that most women are like this. Many believe they have no control over their own emotions and so rely on other people to change them for them. She goes on to prove this by saying that she expected me to pick her up when she was down and not vice versa. Neither party in a relationship should expect this of another person. She tells me that when she met me she thought I was a 'happy' and 'confident' person. I am amazed at how anyone could possibly think this about me. Now she is complaining about a comment I made in passing only a few days ago. That I didn't care what other people thought of me. 'I thought about that' she says. 'And I realised you don't care about anything, not even your music, which you love'. She is wrong, but I don't correct her. I don't tell her that that can't be true because I care about her. And I don't say this for one simple reason. She should know this already. Besides the statement gives a great deal of insight into her character. It tells me that the only thing she thinks is worth caring about is other peoples opinions, this is upsetting. I distract myself by looking at the the sparrows on the sidewalk. She asks if I still want to be friends. I have things to think about and I tell her that she is going to have to have to give me some time to do so. Then I walk away because I have tears in my eyes and I don't want her to see them. I am pissed off so I go to the cafe on the corner and buy a cup of the strongest black coffee I can buy. I walk back to the car. I turn the keys in the ignition and Elliott Smith is playing. I take a sip of the coffee but it is too hot and so I throw it away. The most depressing thing about this day is how beautiful it is. It is one of the first days of Autumn and the leaves on the trees have turned vibrant yellow and just started to fall. The world is at odds with how I am feeling.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

___ampersand

• Just likes playing hospital.
  • I'm not the girl you think I am.
    • Shameless Plug
Re: Break-ups
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »

He cried.
The kind who comes to poker pockets stuffed with kings and aces

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »

O0
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »

I will spare all gathered here the details of my poor decision-making skills, and offer only
my own repetition of the most profound relationship wisdom I know:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and for God's sake, don't just throw it out.)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up