THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the mediocre pianist -- Which songs do you think are learnable?  (Read 2423 times)

RecklessT

• Tumblr

Hi everyone!
For those of you who have played some of the sheet music, what do you think are the easier Dolls or AFP song to learn? I am a music major and, thus, have to learn to play piano. I've been at it for a while and can play a bit but I'm mediocre and need some motivation to play more, so I'm trying to pick some sheets to buy. I know Amanda doesn't actually write super easy songs but anything I can hack at for a while and feel like I practiced... ;)

IANTE

Re: For the mediocre pianist -- Which songs do you think are learnable?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »

I'm not sure about learning from the sheet music since I don't really use it much, but Coin Operated Boy is a pretty simple song, so is Missed Me, 672 isn't too complex but if you don't have much experience then maybe save that for later, I think Bad Habit might be easy with sheet music, The Jeep Song you could learn by ear or with chords, there's no sheet music for it but The Time Has Come is simple enough, Night Reconnaissance, The Gardener, Lonesome Organist, The Kill for sure, The Sheep Song if you can play notes at the same time with both hands (some people have a hard time doing so in the beginning), Sex Changes is super simple, I'm trying to learn Backstabber but the timing is a little weird in the beginning but doesn't look too hard otherwise, the sheet music for My Alcoholic Friends might be good for sight reading depending on how detailed she played it when making the sheet music, Mrs. O is simple, I don't know if there's sheet music for Provanity but that's good for learning different time signatures, Astronaut is pretty simple, so is Runs In The Family, Leeds United is good to practice improvising with, strength Through Music is the simplest song so you don't even need sheet music, I'm interested in what the Guitar Hero sheet music looks like but it's probably simple enough, The Point of it All is another good one to practice improv with, Another Year might be easy with sheet music, Boyfriend in a Coma is easy to learn by ear. I think there's sheet music for Theatre is Evil so easy songs from that would be Smile (maybe. probably.), The Killing Type, Do It With a Rockstar, Want it Back, Trout Heart Replica sheet music might be a good challenge, pretty much everything else after Intermission with the exception of The Bed Song's piano instrumental part.

Keep in mind that I learned most of the songs by chords or fan made sheet music or by ear so I'm not completely sure about the sheet music. I do own The Virginia Companion though so if you want me to check any of the sheets before you buy them to make sure they're beginner friendly then just let me know.
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

TMCBryan

Re: For the mediocre pianist -- Which songs do you think are learnable?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »

Slide is the easiest song to learn. Like ever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up