THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 53648 times)

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
Re: Halloween
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »

I hate Christmas. Moar Halloween plz.

Also I totally did not recognise Neil Patrick Harris until his name was mentioned, either.

-2 Indja Points ;) Hallowe'en is overrrrrr xD
:( now I have a grand total of -2 Indja points. I must be the only shadowboxer in the negative.
Also, I hate Christmas because I've worked in retail and had parents breaking down in tears at my checkout because they've spent more than they can afford and their Christmas still isn't picture-perfect because some stupid toy or something has sold out, and I'm sure most kids would rather have happy parents than dirt broke stressed to fuck parents and some material items, anyway. I know someone whose mother killed herself on Christmas day after the Christmas stress just turned out to be the last thing she could handle. Also, my family don't really celebrate Christmas and I get sick of well-meaning people telling me how sad it is that I'm spending Christmas alone when I really don't care nor want to be singled out for pity. I don't see why people can't spend time with their families without it having to be in the context of a stupid capitalist field day. I actually wrote a short film Christmas earlier in the year which was a bit too venomous so I had to reign it in and be nice to people in the end and concede that dedicating a day to treating children and making them happy is nice, I suppose, but spending two months stressing and putting yourself in debt for it is still fucking stupid and I wish people would stop doing it.
[/rant]
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »

^You're really not, I think Somewhatty ended up on like -80 before he stopped posting xD But if it makes you feel better, have +22 :)

I'm right with you on hating the commercial nature of Christmas - I've always thought it was really sad when people think that it's about how much they spend and all, it's really not. It's also really, deeply horrible that there's so much pressure on people having a particular kind of fun for Christmas that people feel they can't live up to it. Suicide is really common around Christmas because people get so lonely, and that sucks ass because there's so many ways we can reach out to the people around us and make it less lonely, and I think making out like there's a 'right' way to do Christmas - i.e., surrounded by family and friends and eating a big meal and whatever - is just bullshit. There is a *lot* of bullshit surrounding Christmas, especially the nasty, greedy, gimme-gimme attitude that surrounds a lot of it.

But I think that it's also an opportunity for some really meaningful, heartfelt expressions of love and affection, not just to your family and friends but to everyone. I think those presents you can get at Oxfam where you buy like a goat or something in someone's name are really awesome, and there's tons of people who volunteer for the homeless or the elderly or the lonely or whatever over the period which I find really admirable. I do agree that we should be able to spend time with our families regardless of the time of year, but Christmas is a good sort of motivator. And I guess it's easier to get time off work for the holidays than for some random point in the year. Giving gifts at Christmas isn't about how much money you can spend, it's about saying to someone "I love you, and want to give you something that you'll appreciate and love as a way of expressing my feelings for you", same as a birthday. It's about acknowledgement of your emotional connection with the person. And just like being with your family, it isn't something that should be limited to once a year, but Christmas gives you an excuse for it I suppose.

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »

The positive things you highlight about Christmas...I think that's what Halloween is for me. I don't really see my family that much since we all live in different places, but Halloween is a time to get together with my friends and the people I care about, share food and candy and spend time together watching movies and dressing up and hanging out, etc. I think I also like it more than Christmas because it's more creative and celebrates things that don't normally get celebrated much, like monstrosity, which is all about the representation of marginalised figures and an acknowledgement of the deeper levels and lesser known things in the world. It's also taken to significantly less extremes than Christmas, and it's the way people get psycho about Christmas that really puts me off the holiday.

With that said, my main memories of Christmas are me and my mother going to dinner with my godmother and her immediate family, because they were Presbyterian and into that sort of thing. It was mostly just food and hanging out, which was pretty sweet since my mother and godmother were both chefs ;D in later years, she always used to gift us each an Oxfam or World Vision gift card thing and a Christmas decoration, which was a nice way of doing the gift thing. I still have most of her decorations around and about, and the Christmas tree Angel I got from her on our last Christmas before she passed away sits on my dresser.
[/only real Christmas memories I care about]

Also, I'm not sure if I should feel better or worse about getting sympathy Indja points :P
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »

^They weren't just sympathy points, they were also to make up for my laxity in not giving you tons and tons already. You deserve them :)

I think that's a really cool way of looking at Hallowe'en, especially the bit about celebrating monstrosity. I don't dislike Hallowe'en at all, it's not a very big thing over here but I always like an excuse to dress up and get creative xD But you're right, the psycho stuff around Christmas is depressing as hell, and the way people get so manic about making it 'perfect'. Bleurgh.

My sister's just graduated from cheffing school and she's doing the Christmas dinner this year - we are all muchos excito xD It sounds like a lovely memory with your godmother and co. :)

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »

@Marionette26
I work in a busy downtown where they decorate the big old hotel on main street and throw a big holiday party down four streets, they pump down town with canned music and roasted nuts and all manner of fried delights (not)  and caramel corn.  they start the day after thanks giving.  i just get so sick of the same songs all month long...the same songs over and over all day.  It makes me want to go into my bed room,listen to The Cure and Depeche Mode to try and cope.

I always get depressed during that time of year.

Only cool thing someone's ever said to me is that "You need your own Christmas love story, then you can love it too."  It's a very sweet sentiment to wish on someone, so I appreciated it.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30]  All   Go Up