THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats Yo Nationality/Ethnicity/Background?  (Read 15000 times)

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
Re: Whats Yo Nationality/Ethnicity/Background?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »

One part of my family is from Europe and part of it is Indian (which no one ever believes as I am extremely blonde and pale.).
It is very crazy and mixed up but also I am too lazy to write anything else.
I was born in Australia though.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »

Indian (which no one ever believes as I am extremely blonde and pale.)

I totally believe that. A lot of people forget that when countries colonize other countries, like England did India, they make a lot of babies. That coupled with the rest of your genetics totally explains that.

And myself? Mostly Irish. My greatgrandfather came over from Ireland. As for my mother's side, I have no idea. She changed her story a lot that I remember... I'm sure it's mostly from the English Isles.
I am, however, Penna-Dutch born and raised, son.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 06:41:27 PM »

Californian.
More deeply my father's father is all Black Irish, my father's mother is half Irish and half English. My mother is French, Scottish, German, English.

I'm just really white.

Black.. Irish? Wha?

I'm.... Scottish. With one Italian Grandparent.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

lucyanna

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure that most of my ancestors were English - not very exciting. But I only really feel half English as I spent the first 11 years of my life in Grand Cayman - a beautiful little island that will always remain special to me  :)
Quote from: totalfrog
I am declaring April to be the International Month of Vajazzling. This means it's now sparkly and guaranteed to make you giggle.
Quote from: Kayla
WHEN I SMITE FOES I WILL SHOUT LUCEEEEOOT
http://www.flickr.com

rosesandpianos

• The Astronaut
  • 'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 02:38:49 AM »

I'm mostly German and English, but I dunno how much. My mom's side of the family is all from New England, mostly Massetchusetts. Our family's been traced back to the Mayflower, we had two direct ancestors who were on it haha. I have a little Scottish blood and a bunch of German on my dad's side.

Apparently we're ancestors of John and Samual Adams (the second president, and what not)

My ancestors on my mom's side were on the ship AFTER the Mayflower. I bet our ancestors partied together :-D

Hell yes they did. Party time in the colonies wooo.
'Blake says it looks like acid rain today. He takes the fish inside, he's very kind that way'

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 04:42:08 AM »

If someone asked me this question in real life I'd punch them in the face. I come from a human race. The same one you do. What exactly is implied by all these labels? Isn't asking this sort of question and taking part in this kind of discussion just a massive act of sterotyping? Fuckit I'm not going to convert anyone. But my understanding is that ethnicity is a myth. The very idea of race as a scientific concept has been disproven agin and again. Two people from supposedly different races can have more genetically and socially similar charcteristics than two people from the same supposed race. It might be difficult to get your head around but its true. There are no ethnicities. Only imagined differences and (frequently-false) generalisations.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 05:24:48 AM »

I actually find the origins of our genetics fascinating! did you know that red hair and green eyes are traits from India?

One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 12:56:21 PM »

I'm mostly German and English, but I dunno how much. My mom's side of the family is all from New England, mostly Massetchusetts. Our family's been traced back to the Mayflower, we had two direct ancestors who were on it haha. I have a little Scottish blood and a bunch of German on my dad's side.

Apparently we're ancestors of John and Samual Adams (the second president, and what not)

My ancestors on my mom's side were on the ship AFTER the Mayflower. I bet our ancestors partied together :-D

Hell yes they did. Party time in the colonies wooo.
That lot looked rather down upon the whole notion of... partying?
Hell, if you were smiling, you'd better have felt guilty about it.
Oh, and R&P...  I assume you mean John And Sam are your ancestors, and that you're their descendant, right?
That, or you're a whole lot older than I thought.

AndyPants:  Don't get yer knickers in a twist.  There's nothing wrong with recognizing one's own distinctive
geographic, cultural, and yes, even genetic origins, as long as you don't turn that into hostility toward those
whose origins are different.   We aren't "all the same", and that's a good thing.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »

I'm allowed to be proud of my Irish heritage though, ain't I? It certainly doesn't infringe upon anyone's right for me to be proud and want to tell people... I hope Andy Pants won't punch me in the face...  :'(
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Ecstasia

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

Unless he was joking, I think Andy Pants needs to lighten up a bit. 

All percentages are approximate:

I am Polish (40%), Russian (25%), Czechoslovakian (25%) and a 10% mix of about everything on the British Isles.  There is a rumor in the family that we have a small amount of Mongolian blood through rape, but no one is sure. 
Death was just another phase and maybe a better one. You wondered if we knew each other before.  You asked me who I thought I was before.  I said maybe a fish because I love water and you said, you thought a mermaid, maybe.  If you were a mermaid, you said, if you were a mermaid, I was the sea.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

If someone asked me this question in real life I'd punch them in the face.

You must be Irish.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Andy Pants

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »

I think patriotism and racism are only just different enough to have different names. And my point is that these so-called genetic differences are mostly imagined. If you want to do some research into this try flicking through 'Imagined Communities' by Benedict Anderson. He picks apart this whole idea of nationalism and the madness it creates.

I'm sick of people thinking their heritage defines them. I'm not arguing that we don't have differences. Just that these differences have nothing to do with labels of 'race' or 'nationality'. Think about it. To suggest such a thing is a massive act of sterotyping and pretty damn rediculous.

Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

Musings

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

If someone asked me this question in real life I'd punch them in the face. I come from a human race. The same one you do. What exactly is implied by all these labels? Isn't asking this sort of question and taking part in this kind of discussion just a massive act of sterotyping? Fuckit I'm not going to convert anyone. But my understanding is that ethnicity is a myth. The very idea of race as a scientific concept has been disproven agin and again. Two people from supposedly different races can have more genetically and socially similar charcteristics than two people from the same supposed race. It might be difficult to get your head around but its true. There are no ethnicities. Only imagined differences and (frequently-false) generalisations.

This is interesting for several reasons.  I would agree with you that race is a social construct.  Black or white is a non-helpful differentiation.  The idea of ethnicity however, or commonalities based on a shared culture and history and yes, some biological traits (increases in disease rates, etc.), is useful and often used in scientific settings (for example, genetics).

The other being I went to a talk today by a social psychologist who compares two models of diversity: color blindness (we are all the same) versus multiculturalism (we are all different and let's examine and celebrate difference).  What she found is people from majority ethnic groups tended to prefer the model of color blindness, whereas people in minority ethnic groups tended to prefer the model of multiculturalism.  Also, when she looked at business, people working in the higher status jobs tended to prefer color blindness and people working in lower status jobs tended to prefer multiculturalism.

www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »

^  AndyP, you have some valid points, but Benedict Anderson is a bad place to start (cuz he's
an idealist, unfettered by any silly notions of "reality").

I have to go fix dinner or I'd waste more space on it.
Short version:
Race = semi-science, as many traits are entirely genetic, and at least some have more than
cosmetic significance (eg Tay-Sachs or sickle-cell, or pale-skinned tendencies to skin-cancer).

Culture = It's where you come from, like it or not.  Learn about others, try to make the one you
live in better, and try not to judge others', but trying to pretend there aren't any differences is
counterproductive.

Nation = a sometimes-useful administrative unit.  (See also: religion.)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Andy Pants

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »

This is interesting for several reasons.  I would agree with you that race is a social construct.  Black or white is a non-helpful differentiation.  The idea of ethnicity however, or commonalities based on a shared culture and history and yes, some biological traits (increases in disease rates, etc.), is useful and often used in scientific settings (for example, genetics).

The other being I went to a talk today by a social psychologist who compares two models of diversity: color blindness (we are all the same) versus multiculturalism (we are all different and let's examine and celebrate difference).  What she found is people from majority ethnic groups tended to prefer the model of color blindness, whereas people in minority ethnic groups tended to prefer the model of multiculturalism.  Also, when she looked at business, people working in the higher status jobs tended to prefer color blindness and people working in lower status jobs tended to prefer multiculturalism.

I think there is a possible middle ground which you are ignoring. We are not all different, in that we live in a global community with increasing similarites. We are also all human beings and there are universal human experiences just as their are universal human ideas. And seeing as we are having this discussion in the context of a Westernised society, we are also living in a particular time and circumstance with particular popular values and ideas which previous generations of our families regardless of origin probably didn't identify with. And yet we are not all similar either, in that we frequently have what could be called 'cultural differences'.

However it's important to note that not all people identify with the supposed values of their culture, nationality, 'race or etnicity' or other hollow label. This is the problem with these words and ideas, they carry connotations and they generalise. It is not these groups with define our differences but rather individual choices. To either confirm or break out of sterotyped ideas and preconceived notions of how we should act or think.

I don't have a problem with the idea of cultural differences. I live in a multicultural society. It's called Earth But this is where the whole thing becomes rediculous. I don't have to purely adhere to the ideas of my supposedly specific culture or label, or in fact adhere to to those ideas at all if I choose. And so I should be able to define myself as anything. As soon as you accept one definition though it becomes impossible to become anything more, so the only way to truly be free is to break-down all definitions. Different sets of cultural ideas are fine. As long as they are open to anyone and only ever remain semi-permanent and therefore succeptible to change.

What I do have a problem with is when these cultural ideas are associated with labels of 'race or ethnicity' (same thing) and nationality. Specifically race or etnicity which as I've said is a BS construct.

For those of you who so strongly feel the need to put everyone into categories however just in case you were wondering  I am an atheistic-agnostic-buddhist-christian-aboriginal-romantic-nihilist-humanist-modernist-hipster-liberal-punk-conservative-communistic-eastern-western-shakespearian-european-american australian- jew and my ancestors came from Pangea.

And what do all these words mean? Fuck all, really. You know we all had the same common ancestors? So I guess you could say my original background is primate.

(Additional...)

"If asked to define yourself exactly, say you are an exact mathematician" - Bob Dylan

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9  All   Go Up