THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian wrote this on a youtube video yesterday...  (Read 31076 times)

meggygoround

Brian wrote this on a youtube video yesterday...
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »

Hi, it's Viggie here. I'd like to clear this up once and for all, if I may. This video is not old. It was taken at our last show at the Lowlands Festival in Holland on August 18th.
And yes, the band is done. Over. Kaput. As I said in the video, we may very well play some shows together someday, but we are not forging ahead with the Dolls anymore. We are both on good terms, the video just shows our two views points and I liked the editing, actually. They portrayed it very honestly.
Much love, B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMsBQWXQQ90

I understand their decision. I respect it. But it's still really sad. I hope they at least do some shows around Boston every now and then after their tours.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
  • We have got to take cover, brother.
Re: Brian wrote this on a youtube video yesterday...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »

Yeah, uh, pretty sure that's crap.

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »

I understand their decision. I respect it. But it's still really sad.

If I had the impression that it was a mutual decision, I could respect it more.  Maybe I will come to that impression.  
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

meggygoround

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »

I understand their decision. I respect it. But it's still really sad.

If I had the impression that it was a mutual decision, I could respect it more.  Maybe I will come to that impression.  

True...

ɐqouɐs

• He of the Orgasm Cookies.
  • ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ʎʇʇǝɹd sı plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »

I respect the decision because... well... some people had seen this coming and I saw it with them.
¿uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇɐɔıunɯɯoɔ puɐ 'ǝʇıɹʍ 'pɐǝɹ uɐɔ oɥʍ ʍuo ʎluo ǝɥʇ ı ɯɐ

halfgravity

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

I saw this coming the moment Amanda said she was doing a solo project and yet insisted it wasn't the end of the Dolls, but I didn't want to believe it.

Shakti

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:38:21 PM »

But, she's right, it shouldn't have to mean that.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

Heliosis

• Em Wyllie - Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »

I don't know what to think.

I'm a little more upset that we haven't heard anything official from Either Brian or Amanda on this board yet. I always thought that if the Dolls were to break up, we would hear it and there wouldn't be this time of speculation. But apparently not.

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »

until amanda says they're over, i'm not believing it
I don't have low self esteem. I just have low esteem for everyone else.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

hope the whole deniaaaaal thing works outttt
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »

oh i'll miss you and
all the best to you
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

halfgravity

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »

No, it shouldn't. Thom Yorke did it, after all. I just had a bad feeling, that's all.

JennieJ

• I'm Alice, damn it!
    • Myspace whore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »

Nothing is ever final, no matter what the current state actually is. They obviously are not in complete agreement as to how final this split is. I can't imagine working that closely with another human being for THAT long, and then completely never playing together again. Sounds to me like they need to do their own thing, and don't want to put a limit on how long that's going to take. It's much easier to say that they are done, and maybe have a "reunion" later on that it is to say they are taking a break and have all their fans hounding them for when the next album or show is. Sad yes, but possibly a necessary step for both of them as individual artists.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »

A solo record is the perfect opportunity to take a hiatus...

...and also realize fans will support you no matter what, and that you really can do this on your own.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »

...and also realize fans will support you no matter what, and that you really can do this on your own.

on her own, yes, but with the help of Ben Folds, Zoe Keating, Jaren Reynolds, Paul Buckmaster, Baby Dee, Neil Gaiman, Estradasphere, Jason Webley, Aberdeen City, Steven Mitchell Wright, the Danger Ensemble, Beth, LHS Drama, etc etc etc etc etc etc

what I mean is that I don't think there is ever really "solo" Amanda anymore.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »

on her own, yes, but with the help of Ben Folds, Zoe Keating, Jaren Reynolds, Paul Buckmaster, Baby Dee, Neil Gaiman, Estradasphere, Jason Webley, Aberdeen City, Steven Mitchell Wright, the Danger Ensemble, Beth, LHS Drama, etc etc etc etc etc etc

Most "solo" artists have help. The ones who don't have help are the ones who burn CD-Rs of crappy recordings made in their bedroom and sling them at coffee houses. That's about it. "Solo" almost always just means that it's the artist in question exercises total control over the product and that, in some cases, one can expect a certain aesthetic. (C'mon, does anybody really think Dave Gahan, or Colin Meloy, or any other "solo" artist does everything without help from others?)

This isn't The End, kids. Even if it's 20 years down the road and solely for a big payday, they will get back together, even if it's only for one show. Take those words to the bank. Until then, be thankful for what they brought to the world, whether or not this is The End. I probably wouldn't be in Boston right now if it weren't for them, quite frankly, and I'm not going to shed any tears tonight. They're doing what they have to do in order to satisfy themselves. After years spent sacrificing so much in order to make names for themselves, I think they've earned the right to follow their own paths for awhile and see what happens later.
"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

Musings

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

Brian and Amanda are human beings who need to do whatever they need to do.  Sometimes they disagree; sometimes they need to break and breathe; sometimes it's over.  I agree with Doug that this is unlikely to be the End, there is too much history and love and creative genius there, but it could be a long road back.

But I really, really dislike the way this has been coming out.  Mindfucking vagueness and hints dropping all over the place, a lot of no-no-no nothing's wrong, then hit-and-run posts from Brian.  This youtube post from Brian was bordering on disrespectful, I thought, although he came on here and did some backtracking and damage control.  I guess I just have been spoiled because Amanda is so open generally, and Brian's style of dealing with things/communicating is new for me.

I wish them both the best in whatever it is that happens.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

pinzim

• Myspace
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »

Its kind of sad to know that the Dolls might be done for good. But I'm not going to worry about it. Its their decision to do what they want. I am wish them both the best for whatever happens.

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:24:59 PM »

Except at solo shows, a la "Fuck the Back Row".

I'm bummed. I know they'll probably get back together, even if only for one show, but I really wish I could have seen them together on stage beyond DVDs and YouTube.

I love you both. Drop me a line if you want tips on how to individualize the Dresden Dolls Website.

As for this, I guess it will become the "Amanda Palmer/Brian Viglione Community Forum".

*heavy sigh*

I would just like to say this, as it may be my final opportunity to refer to you two as a twosome: I love you so much. You helped shape me from a n00b into a visionary, and for that I am eternally grateful. I am taking extra-special effort to make sure that this heartfelt sobfest contains grammar which is as perfect as can be. You two mean so much to me, and I always feared that one day you would part, but I know that, in your heart, you will always remember the grand days of the Dresden Dolls. I suppose I anticipated your parting and hid in a corner just hoping it would never come, but we all must move on. Brian, if you're touring with NIN or any other bands, please, come back up to New Hampshire. I'd love to watch you work your magic with out Amanda draggin' you down (I kid, of course; Amanda and Brian augmented one another always).

Amanda, I must say that I have adored you since I first saw you in your pretty stripey tights in the "Girl Anachronism" video. I have modeled my rock singing voice after yours, and you singlehandedly made me love the piano again. My friend Tessa's friend Susan once had the privelege of licking your leg. I wish I could have the same. For God's sake, don't ever change. Stay at the Cloud Club so that, one day, I can stalk you, Zea Barker, Barnaby Whitfield and Sebastian Lockwood. Don't shave your armpits EVER. Change only as your creative mind sees fit. Keep you paper rhododendrons in place until we can meet face to face. If ever you do come up to NH, I'd love to hear Battered Bride (I know you probably hate it when people ask you that). I promise to never send you hate mail.

It's okay. I forgive you.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »

Also, I'd like to express my disappointment that they didn't make it a full decade.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »

Amanda Palmer solo IS Amanda Palmer without Brian, regardless of who she works with.

There NEVER was such a thing as Amanda Palmer solo, yet at the same time there ALWAYS was Amanda Palmer solo.

Here's what I mean:

Never:
The songs on Who Killed Amanda Palmer? are "recycled" songs Amanda wrote mostly during or before the Dresden Dolls formed. She wrote those songs, for the most part, and for whatever reasons they were not used for the Dresden Dolls first two records. Some eventually were used in No, Virginia, the rest, made it to WKAP.

Always:
Before Amanda met Brian and formed the Dresden Dolls, she had a collection of songs. She used those songs for the Dresden Dolls self-titled CD and the future releases. She brought her songs to the table, collaborated with Brian and ta-da!

As of this past spring (my reference point as to when I asked her) Amanda has not distinguished the difference between a Dresden Dolls song and an Amanda Palmer solo song. There is no difference, the only difference is whether or not Brian collaborates on the song during it's final process of being recorded, played live, edited etc.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 10:30:56 PM »

Also, I'd like to express my disappointment that they didn't make it a full decade.
So close... There legend ( I sound like a dork) will live on years and years to come.
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 10:32:38 PM »

As of this past spring (my reference point as to when I asked her) Amanda has not distinguished the difference between a Dresden Dolls song and an Amanda Palmer solo song. There is no difference, the only difference is whether or not Brian collaborates on the song during it's final process of being recorded, played live, edited etc.
I hate to get bitchy, but that just sorta makes Brian sound like an unimportant component.

Shakti

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 10:35:11 PM »

This youtube post from Brian was bordering on disrespectful, I thought, although he came on here and did some backtracking and damage control.

Funny, isn't it?  Brian doesn't like that Amanda doesn't like touring, but what is she doing in support of WKAP but touring.  Amanda has commented that Brian doesn't like trying to keep up an internet presence with the fans, but this has driven him to do just that.

To people contemplating divorce they often say that splitting up doesn't really change anything....

fairytalevegas

• FairytaleVegas.com
  • Party on the Intern!?
    • My Photography Website
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »

Brian says it's over, he's just as important.

Quote from: gargantuan
Quote from: Cheddars Cousin
MASS KISSED A BOY! :o
GARGANTUAN KISSED A GIRL! :O haha!

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »

For sure, if Brian says that they are over, they are. Even if Amanda keeps saying no.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »

This youtube post from Brian was bordering on disrespectful, I thought, although he came on here and did some backtracking and damage control.

Funny, isn't it?  Brian doesn't like that Amanda doesn't like touring, but what is she doing in support of WKAP but touring.  Amanda has commented that Brian doesn't like trying to keep up an internet presence with the fans, but this has driven him to do just that.

To people contemplating divorce they often say that splitting up doesn't really change anything....
The concept of divorce always makes me think of "Truce" and "Half Jack"...

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

If rock love ends, why should I even bother.

Shakti

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »

Who forced us to hate them on alternating weekends....

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:12 PM »

You call it over and I call you psycho...

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »

I hate to get bitchy, but that just sorta makes Brian sound like an unimportant component.

What? When did i say that?

I think I was misunderstood; my point was that just because Amanda is not working with Brian, she is always working with other people, and always creating new projects. With Brian she was part of "The Dresden Dolls" but who know what other identities she will become associated with in the future.
amanda, 2005-04-15

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

So, the rumour was true.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 10:47:42 PM »

This shit ruined my day. yeah I know wrong thread but  :-\ :'(

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »

What? When did i say that?

I think I was misunderstood; my point was that just because Amanda is not working with Brian, she is always working with other people, and always creating new projects. With Brian she was part of "The Dresden Dolls" but who know what other identities she will become associated with in the future.
I knows, I knows. I'm just a little cranky, is all.

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 10:50:18 PM »

I know he's just as important, but I want the more vocal member of the band to say it.

It just still seems sketchy to me.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »

I know he's just as important, but I want the more vocal member of the band to say it.

It just still seems sketchy to me.
Yeah it is odd that this is the only way anything has really been said, and that Amanda hasn't said anything. Denial maybe?

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 10:53:09 PM »

indeed.

and on a youtube video?

why so obscure?

Especially when he has made a Shadowbox account.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:07 PM »

indeed.

and on a youtube video?

why so obscure?

Especially when he has made a Shadowbox account.
And why now, of all times, to finally make and account?

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

Why not? Anything is possible. And if they're done, then they're done. Das ist die ganze ABC.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

Shakti

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »

And why now, of all times, to finally make and account?

Because it was Amanda who had our ear (or eyes, I guess), and his position (that he wanted out) wasn't being represented?  Because if they're not partners, he needs his own presence here?

ɐqouɐs

• He of the Orgasm Cookies.
  • ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ʎʇʇǝɹd sı plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:04 PM »

oh i'll miss you and
all the best to you

(To many, many people)

Hope the whole "denial" thing works out...
¿uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇɐɔıunɯɯoɔ puɐ 'ǝʇıɹʍ 'pɐǝɹ uɐɔ oɥʍ ʍuo ʎluo ǝɥʇ ı ɯɐ

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »

Why not? Anything is possible. And if they're done, then they're done. Das ist die ganze ABC.
Yeah, it is their decision, and we all need to accept it, even if we don't like it.

Shakti

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »

Yeah, it is their decision, and we all need to accept it, even if we don't like it.

I have six other fucking stages to go through before I get to "acceptance," and I have no fucking intention of skipping any of them!

Musings

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »

Wow... this is going to be a fun group of posts for Amanda to get off the plane to.

Here, Amanda, watch some more Tina Fey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWjTcnLIyNw

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Shakti

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »

Wow... this is going to be a fun group of posts for Amanda to get off the plane to.

I suppose you're right.  But punk cabaret is freedom!  I don't HAVE to be a grown up here, and right now, I don' WANNA.

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »

I refuse to believe this shit until A or B say something official here.

I mean, seriously. A youtube video? That's just bull.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

dj50tonhamster

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 11:34:06 PM »

I refuse to believe this shit until A or B say something official here.

It's not ideal but it is what it is. Didn't Axl fire Slash from Guns n' Roses via a fax sent to MTV? That and Lauren has made a couple of posts about this. Without getting into some sort of "X is totally p33ps w/ B-Dawg" totem pole nonsense, if she says it's Brian, it's Brian. End of story.
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 11:35:32 PM »

THE WORLD IS REALLY ALL IN LOVE
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

meggygoround

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »

Here, Amanda, watch some more Tina Fey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWjTcnLIyNw

Hah. Yeah, I feel bad starting a whole other post about it. Well, I hope she is better informed about Tina Fey now, because Tina Fey is awesome when one needs a laugh.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »

oh and YOU can stop the TRUTH from LEAKING
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

Edric.

• <3
    • Musics
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »

but I haven't the chance to experience punk cabaret in the flesh  :sad5:
edric, fka edgar.

edgar was TOTALLY there. i know because i hugged him

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »

^ Yeah, not even a LAST TOUR, Last Superb.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »

An indefinite hiatus, which is what this is, is not an official breakup.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

dj50tonhamster

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 11:50:27 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f1CO2QdxM58" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f1CO2QdxM58</a>

This seems oddly appropriate. Chill out and listen to some James Brown. You'll feel better.

Viggie

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 12:39:12 AM »

Hi folks,

Instead of feeling backed into a corner by people demanding an answer about the future of the band,
Amanda and I had both agreed to just let it go and leave it open ended.   However because I dislike that "mysterious"
stuff a lot and always was happy about the nature of the relationship we've had with you guys, it started to upset me seeing all these posts and people feeling "disrespected".  I don't want any of you to feel disrespected or in the dark about things.   

Both Amanda and I together have decided to just ride this one out naturally, not impose any kind of pressure on ourselves to HAVE to do anything that doesn't feel right.  That's always been the beauty of the band.  We always have given each other the space to follow whatever artistic paths we feel drawn to.  I love that.
In addition, for the two of us,  WKAP and World/Inferno are not just ways to kill time until the next Dolls' record or tour.
We are both thrilled to be involved with all the cool stuff going on right now and proud that we have you to share it with.
  There's no time limit on how someone's creativity flows.  It's not measured in decades, or album cycles, or greatest hits packages.   If you are afforded the freedom to follow your bliss in life, then I say go for it.

So, yes, the band is "done" in the sense that we are not actively booking tours, etc.  And there is no date scheduled in the future to "resume working on the new album" as interviewers like to say.

And that's OK with us.   It takes a lot off pressure of us and let's us both focus on what we've already got on our plates.

We are both so proud of the music we've made together,  the community of people and friendships that have grown together, and the fact that we did what we set out to do and did it the way we wanted.
But there's a definite change in course for both of us, so rather than fight it, we embrace it and let each other evolve as people and musicians.  That's healthy.

Also, as I said before,  I'm sure we'll do more shows together someday.  And I am happy that we both are able to say,
"I love you, now go out there and rock, wherever you go" as opposed to it ending bitterly.

So everyone just chill, it's all good in the Dresden 'hood.  You gotta give each other space, you gotta show love to yourself so you can give from a healthy place, and never be afraid to go for what you're heart tells you as you grow.
That's the fuckin' Dolls way, right there.   

For those of you who are still pissed, I understand why and I love you.

For those of you who understand where we're coming from, thanks for the love back and we'll see you out there.

JennieJ - Nothing is ever final, no matter what the current state actually is. They obviously are not in complete agreement as to how final this split is. I can't imagine working that closely with another human being for THAT long, and then completely never playing together again. Sounds to me like they need to do their own thing, and don't want to put a limit on how long that's going to take. It's much easier to say that they are done, and maybe have a "reunion" later on that it is to say they are taking a break and have all their fans hounding them for when the next album or show is. Sad yes, but possibly a necessary step for both of them as individual artists.

Now, I totally agree with dj50tonhamster-
 Chill out and listen to some James Brown. You'll feel better.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 12:47:55 AM »

So everyone just chill, it's all good in the Dresden 'hood.

Haha, Brian <3

Thanks for clearing this up.

From what I gather, this hiatus is a way to prevent a bitter break up or any bitterness, that this break is a more like a Pause rather than a Stop and/or Eject.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

Musings

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:25 AM »

Since I may or may not have been referenced above:

Dear Brian,

Still love you both, and will follow your projects with interest.  I mean, your drumming/producing has led me to listen to a lot of good music I wouldn't have listened to, and I really enjoyed the excitement and heart in your playing when I saw you live, and the sheer joy and love you express when I met you a long time ago.

But your communication skills sucketh in that youtube post.  I stand by that. 

This post though, ten times better.  Thank you for it, and for being you.  Have fun wherever the winds take you.

Mucho love.

Edric.

• <3
    • Musics
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008, 12:58:01 AM »

i'm just happy everyone on the shadowbox loves each other.  :love5:

the world is really all in love
edric, fka edgar.

edgar was TOTALLY there. i know because i hugged him

seejackrun

• I wasn’t always a monster, I was a prince.
    • myspace
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2008, 01:07:17 AM »

This post made me feel much better... I was kind of on the verge of a total and complete meltdown. (I could share you my 'How the Dolls Saved My Life' story, but i'll spare you. also, i am sick and have a fever so i was already kind of loopy.)

Anyway... one thing I appreciate about Brian and Amanda is that they take care of us... for the most part, they've both been really upfront about the state of things. I'm really glad that they're both taking time apart- even if that means they don't play together anymore. they don't seem to be parting in anger/hate/INEVERWANNASEEYOUAGAIN- and that leaves the spirit of the band and everything i love about it somewhat intact.

i don't know if that was well articulated or not, but that's my two cents.

much much love for brian for all that he does.   :love5: :brave: :headbang:

limelizard

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 01:23:17 AM »

Dear Brian, never before has a post soothed my troubled mind in such a manner!

Even though the way things are with the band's current state have not changed, the way you explained the situation makes all the difference. It's totally sad and depressing for me to hear that a band is done, but when you explain that this band just part of the  experience of creativity- just another piece of the puzzle in two great artists' lives...well I totally get that! I respect you and Amanda as artists so much, and I can't wait to see where your creativity will lead you both.

Mr. Anagrammatism

• YES WE CAN !!!!
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:33 AM »

Rock Alimony !!! :knuppel2:

Wish you both the best of luck, thanks for the good times!

*edit*

That YouTube clip is just nasty!  I mean the way it was put together. A real baiting journalistic hatchet job.  I don't think it was in Brian's control, the dutch dudes who made that need to go to a coffee shop and chill out.

Paus

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2008, 01:36:38 AM »

Viggie, you made me cry. Although your post did make me feel a lot better.

In all due respect I think Mr. Viglione may need to study the ways of the internet a little better, for it is a sensitive place.  Making a very definitive comment on a youtube video, about a band youre in or were previously in, in which you both contradict each other continuously is never a good way to go about things.

But for better or for worse I love and respect you 100%. I'll always support you. Good luck and Long Live Brian Viglione!

heartstringz

• killed Amanda Palmer
  • Long Live Punk Cabaret!
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »

Thanks Brian you rock!  I am so glad that this has been cleared up officially, I was getting worried there for a while. 

Referring to what seejackrun mentioned about his/her 'dolls saved my life story' - I guess that there are many of those stories.  I guess in a way that is why we are all here - the dolls 'saved' us in some way or other, even if we are not yet aware of it.  So I suppose we all freaked out when we thought it was all over so suddenly and so completely - for me at least it felt like the one thing I relied upon most in the hardest times was gone. 

So Brian, thanks taking the time to come here and explain the situation - I understand and respect your right to have a break from each other and the Dolls.  It doesn't seem so final as it's now a 'hiatus' as opposed to being 'over' and that makes me feel ok about the band not making music together anytime soon.

In a way it's good that 'punk caberet' has gone it's seperate ways - spread the love!  :)
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Martin Luther King

darkling

• this mortal wound is all... itchy
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 06:30:25 AM »

I am mostly sad that this all came out while Amanda is stuck on a plane or otherwise in transit and not able to do a whole lot about it. She has been so open.

I want to make a whole lot of inappropriate comments in jest about how at least there will be good songs out of the pain, or how maybe the lovely Miss Mandy can follow Brittney's lead and write about it, but it would all just be taken the wrong way (and I suspect that she has too much class, and things seem happy and stuff....but oh the humour, we need humour).

I hope you enjoy spreading your wings Viggie, and that it brings you all that you hope.

Amanda, Australia can't wait (but we will).

how I dreamed of things impossible...

Shakti

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:26 AM »

For those of you who are still pissed, I understand why and I love you.

Thank you; this helps (chicks love having their feeeeelings validated).

And I suspect you know that communication on the internet is a tricksy business, hence your avoidance of it up to now.  All sorts of learning and growing....

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
  • We have got to take cover, brother.
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008, 07:11:39 AM »

THANK YOU! I said this since I saw the stupid thing...

JennieJ

• I'm Alice, damn it!
    • Myspace whore
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:30 AM »

:love5:
Keep doin' your thing, we'll be waiting to see what develops in the end.
xoxox
JJ

Wednesday Friday

• they can land that plane on my heart I don't care
    • myspace
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »

This is very sad news indeed, albeit not completely unexpected. I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to see the Dolls perform when they came to Aus in '06 (I was underage at the time so thank fucking god for fake ID's!). I've seen some brilliant musicians, but to this day that gig ranks as one of my very favourites. The intensity and connection between Amanda & Brian on stage...it's like they're musical soulmates.

Anyway, I don't want to make this sound like a fucking eulogy, because I'm sure the Dolls will reappear in some incarnation or another in the future, but if not, thankyou for some great records and amazing memories.

witchseason

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »

I'm really sad 'cos I only discovered tha Dollz about 6 months ago & never got to see them live (I'm in the UK).

But I *did* see Amanda at the ICA, and am going to see her at Koko's :-)

And I'd love to see Brian live, doing whatever - any chance of UK shows, guv?

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »

THANK YOU! I said this since I saw the stupid thing...

It was an interview, not a self produced video.

Rock on Brian...Rock on Amanda.

I wish you both happiness and I hope for the future.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Ronan

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2008, 10:37:41 AM »

Yeah. You guys did a good job, and you're going out on a high.

It's better to burn out than fade awaaaaaaaaaay!

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »

they'll be back, there will be another album..  their schedules just have to line up again..

anyone who doesn't believe this, go watch/listen to "sing" from the Roundhouse DVD...

that's what the dresden dolls are about.... the happiness in that performance... that's what's right in the world..
mommy, i want to be a merch girl...

DONATE TO THE BELLY BOOK FUND HERE: http://rebellyon.chipin.com/rbellyon-book-funding  ALL DONATIONS ACCEPTED. $17.00 GETS YOU A COPY OF THE BOOK!!

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2008, 11:40:29 AM »

Love. Keep love alive people. Brian love, Amanda love, together love, separate love, manlove, womanlove and lovelovelove.

Nothing is ever over, but many things have started.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

gargantuan

• Film/Music guy. Documentarian. Philosophy addict.
    • Music/Videos/Writing
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »

Why would you be upset that people are moving on to make newer music to their hearts content?

Now..the day they took Roseanne off the air, I was a fucking mess....

"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it." —Banksy

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »

Thank the Gods.

Swing looooooooow, sweet chariot...
Quote from: kelliebean
Just follow her next time you see her head into the bathroom, and corner her. Women love that shit.

darkling

• this mortal wound is all... itchy
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »

Am I the only one here who wants to tell Amanda to get offline and not do this right now? The timing of this bites, and this is no way to start a tour.

I get that it's not my business to be concerned for her, I get that she's strong and whole and has supports and hell, may even be fine with this. The interview just came off like they both had two different viewpoints and hadn't really talked a lot about it - much less made any specific announcements (and this is more specific than "nothing planned" and "permanent hold" no matter how much spin you put on it).

And no matter how much you're cool with this, it's still no way to start a tour.
how I dreamed of things impossible...

angryinch

• Tits of Clay
  • Giner Miner
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »

The interview just came off like they both had two different viewpoints and hadn't really talked a lot about it

And no matter how much you're cool with this, it's still no way to start a tour.

Why try and hide the situation? It was obvious from the video that they both do have different view points. No need for sugarcoating!
Quote from: Bill H
Men don't giggle.

Shakti

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »

I have a suspicion that even if they hadn't discussed it before the video was made, they did before the YouTube comments were posted by Brian.  The timing is such that he could've easily seen/heard about the chat, realized they weren't on the same page and called/emailed/something before posting.  I don't believe she is going to be surprised by this.  The talk of tears in both Beth's and Amanda's blogs last week/weekend could even be related for all we know.

angryinch

• Tits of Clay
  • Giner Miner
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »

I have a suspicion that even if they hadn't discussed it before the video was made, they did before the YouTube comments were posted by Brian.  The timing is such that he could've easily seen/heard about the chat, realized they weren't on the same page and called/emailed/something before posting.  I don't believe she is going to be surprised by this.  The talk of tears in both Beth's and Amanda's blogs last week/weekend could even be related for all we know.

Why does there need to be so much analysing? Why not just appreciate the music and take it as it comes?
Men don't giggle.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »

Why would you be upset that people are moving on to make newer music to their hearts content?

I'm still sad about it.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

I'm still sad about it.

Ah, come on you are a grown up, move on...  now .... when That 70´s show reached it´s finale...  :'(

YOU WILL LIVE IN MY HEART FOREVER DONNA PINCCIOTI... FEZ YOU FUCKING RULE

*cries and goes up stairs screaming why why!!!1*

Shakti

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

Why does there need to be so much analysing? Why not just appreciate the music and take it as it comes?

Well, first, I was responding to someone who was concerned that Amanda would be blindsided by all this the next time she logs in.

Secondly, you do life your way, I'll do life my way...punk cabaret is freedom.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »

Man, I cried when they pulled Top of the Pops.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Purtlepootle

• Is not a morning person...
  • I ate a Twirl and I liked it...
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »

This is not supposed to be a dig at Brian, or any debate on the 'break up'-so no nasty posts! lol
But wouldn't it be interesting if we do find out who killed AFP (for example in the book) and twas Brian! They've killed one another before (whilst being the White Stripes for example!)
"What fresh hell is this..."

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »

So everyone just chill, it's all good in the Dresden 'hood.  You gotta give each other space, you gotta show love to yourself so you can give from a healthy place, and never be afraid to go for what you're heart tells you as you grow.
That's the fuckin' Dolls way, right there. 

brian and amanda

all cool with me

looking forward to
8 nov @ t.t.bears
24,25 nov @ the paradise
! ! !
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »

And that's OK with us.   It takes a lot off pressure of us and let's us both focus on what we've already got on our plates.

I think it's a good move. You seem to have some artistic directions that you need to pursue. I regret not having seen your jazz shows. Maybe something like that will happen again.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:23 AM »

"If your home is burning down and you can only save one thing, what should it be?

The fire! Save the fire"

jdfu!

rosesandpianos

• The Astronaut
  • 'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2008, 12:53:01 AM »

anybody who is sad about this needs to look on the bright side. both amanda and brian are still going to be making amazing music. it may not be with the dresden dolls, but still, it will be lovely nonetheless. plus, they both did say that there's a good potential for future tours with the 'dolls. you'll get your chance to see them if you haven't.

it may feel like the end of the world to some of you (believe me, i've been through favorite band breakups multiple times before) and i know it sucks that there might not be any more new music from your favorite band, but they're not dead and they're not retired from making music. support amanda and brian in whatever they choose to do, and support their choice to end the band. anyways, it probably wouldn't be the same if both of them were forcing themselves to work together. cheer up!

I agree. I love listening to them together, however they have three albums out now, and it's not like they're just not making music. Amanda still has things coming out, and I really really hope they tour together again sometime. Maybe sometime in the future they'll come up with some stuff again, but it's not like the PEOPLE died. There is still music to be made. There are still die hard fans.

Amanda and Brian, your both fucking amazingly mind blowing. I can't wait to hear the new stuff, and hopefully a tour together again
'Blake says it looks like acid rain today. He takes the fish inside, he's very kind that way'

Shakti

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:37 AM »

anybody who is sad about this needs to look on the bright side

Anybody who thinks that telling someone else how to feel or how to react is appropriate or effective needs to get the fuck over themself.

Shakti

« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2008, 07:17:20 AM »

Having had coffee, posts about the bright side belong in the Dresden Positivity thread, in which I am lurking, so I AM "looking" on the bright side.  When I'm ready, perhaps I'll actually post there.  I'm not yet.  People deal in different ways.  Telling them they're dealing the wrong way doesn't help.

Emaline

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »

Enough with my morning loafing and mourning.

I'm gonna get ready, put on my manifesto t-shirt and go to class.

Solangel

• killed Amanda Palmer
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »

I think it's a good move. You seem to have some artistic directions that you need to pursue. I regret not having seen your jazz shows. Maybe something like that will happen again.

Me 2! I had actually bought a ticket in advance but it was a really late show (I think around midnight) and I had had such a long day that I crashed and never made it. I still regret it to this day.

*Lillifee*

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »

Ärgerlich!!!

I'm kinda sad..
don't know what to think..
the rest of the day was shit as well..
so i hope to go to sleep tonight will help..
There's a string that runs through our bad days,
and if you pull that string real tight,
the days all crumple together and all that you see is night...

Lily

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

I somehow thought this would happen, but after the solo tours were done. I think they will still do sporadic shows together - perhaps in the Boston area or something, but that's far away from here.
And I'm afraid Germany won't be too aware of what/how Brian's doing unless he's going to boost his internet presence dramatically...

BUT... I am happy we went to see them a few weeks ago!
"Thinking is SO important, Baldrick." - Edmund Blackadder

LCL

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

I'm just going to throw this out there and probably get a lot of flack for it. I saw Amanda solo at the Spiegeltent a few weeks ago, and, while it was a good show, I thought to myself the whole time: "They're better together."

I saw the Dolls in late May, which I guess was one of their last performances, and the energy and onstage interaction between them was electric. I also thought that Brian is the better live performer of the two--and the more theatrical, performance-wise, which is odd since in the video interviews he says Amanda's tastes are more theatrical than his.

Individually, they're good musicians, but together there's something special that's unique to the band as a duo.

I hope their time apart is as long as it needs to be, and I hope that eventually they revive their collaboration in a way that feels fresh to them both.

Holmes

• you're my
  • betch
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

the strange thing is, every time i see "The Dresden Dolls" since I found out yesterday, I feel a pang of sadness.
I don't want that to happen every time I see/hear their music.

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »

anybody who is sad about this needs to look on the bright side

Anybody who thinks that telling someone else how to feel or how to react is appropriate or effective needs to get the fuck over themself.

You should be less of a frothing cunt.
Just follow her next time you see her head into the bathroom, and corner her. Women love that shit.

Musings

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »

the strange thing is, every time i see "The Dresden Dolls" since I found out yesterday, I feel a pang of sadness.
I don't want that to happen every time I see/hear their music.

Must...not... let... Dresden Dolls music become emo.  Resist!  RESIST!

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »

i just now decided to watch that video. it really does kind of make brian look like an asshole.

angryinch

• Tits of Clay
  • Giner Miner
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »

i just now decided to watch that video. it really does kind of make brian look like an asshole.

Really? I think it made Amanda look like she was sugar coating.
Men don't giggle.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »

He just struck me as being male. They always seem to be able say the right thing...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

music box

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2008, 06:56:29 PM »

i didn't say the asshole-ness was a bad thing.

i think knowing fans are going to watch it maybe amanda was trying not to freak anyone out.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

i didn't say the asshole-ness was a bad thing.

Neither did I.

There is a way to watch the interviews unedited - http://www.faceculture.nl/artist.php?id=333&PHPSESSID=042e872ff0e8edc0aa9845 for anyone who is interested.

rosesandpianos

• The Astronaut
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2008, 10:22:29 PM »

Okay, the video does sort of make Brian look like an asshole, and he seems really bitter. However, I can sort of see there must be some underlying something that we don't know about (well I'm sure there's a lot we don't know) but as Amanda said on her side, he doesn't talk about things like feelings and stuff, maybe there's just something going on there. I mean, after being together so much for that long... even being the best of friends or something, THAT much of a person sometimes is just like a cage. I can understand them wanting to do things on their own.

Also, it said they made two albums together in the beginning, but they made three. Or am I blind and read it wrong?
'Blake says it looks like acid rain today. He takes the fish inside, he's very kind that way'

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »

he seems really bitter

...where did you get that?
amanda, 2005-04-15

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »

Also, it said they made two albums together in the beginning, but they made three. Or am I blind and read it wrong?

Well 2 out of 3 were only half new material  ;D

...I am so not Mr. A.

rosesandpianos

• The Astronaut
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2008, 10:34:35 PM »

he seems really bitter

...where did you get that?

well not REALLY bitter. I dunno I can sense a hint of bitterness just in the way he says things. But whatever. Either way, I'm not like 'yay their breaking up' because they're an AMAZING duo, but I can understand that they need space and all. It makes sense to me. but I hope that after getting that space, they'll tour again, or soemthing.

Shakti

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2008, 10:50:30 PM »

I also sense some resentment, not sure I'd say it's as entrenched as bitterness.

halfgravity

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »

I definitely sensed resentment on Brian's part too. Not hatred or anything, just some resentment.

music box

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »

it's kind of a shame.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »

They've made four, if your counting AifA, and 5 if you count the demo EP they sold at concerts.

PWNED, BITCHES!

Mr. Anagrammatism

• YES WE CAN !!!!
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:27 AM »

...I am so not Mr. A.

DO NOT AWAKEN THE KRAKEN !!!

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2008, 05:20:45 AM »

...I am so not Mr. A.

I wanted to wiki Kraken, but I'd have felt dumb

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2008, 05:25:31 AM »

...I am so not Mr. A.

i think he misspelled cracker.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2008, 05:29:13 AM »

oh yeah.  umm...this sucks.  the fuck are we gonna do with a board for the Dolls, and there aren't any damn Dolls?  the fuck is that shit, yo'?

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:06 AM »

...I am so not Mr. A.

And it all makes sense...

And I thought about the concundrum, Shica, but I think in the interest of retaining a community, it'll simply become a mutually inclusive site, albeit heavily favoring Amanda, being as she's been active for years, while Brian has only just arrived.

Musings

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »

Ay, that's the way I see it too, except hopefully Brian hasn't been too badly burned by his brief first journey and scared off back into the man-cave.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:35 AM »

Ay, that's the way I see it too, except hopefully Brian hasn't been too badly burned by his brief first journey and scared off back into the man-cave.

Ok, well we need to let him know the REAL DEAL.

WE LOVE THE BRIAN! COME OUT OF THE CAVE, WE HAVE SNACKY CAKES!!!

Mr. Anagrammatism

• YES WE CAN !!!!
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »

the fuck are we gonna do with a board for the Dolls, and there aren't any damn Dolls? 

The board is gonna get a lot better if the Dolls would just go away!
I was on a Fiona Apple board when she was having a nervous breakdown and locked herself up in LaLa land for 5 years.
Then she had to release a damn record. :-\

Rockstar boards without rockstars are great!!!  It's like the wild west, and no one is minding the store.  There's also the funny hardcore fans that like keep waiting for G&R to release 'Chinese Democracy' in spite of reality slapping them in the face.

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »

~logs on to the NKOTB forum~
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Ronan

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »

...I am so not Mr. A.

And I thought about the concundrum, Shica, but I think in the interest of retaining a community, it'll simply become a mutually inclusive site, albeit heavily favoring Amanda, being as she's been active for years, while Brian has only just arrived.

And Brian has arrived at the scariest, n00biest time of all. All these screaming children...if that's not enough to send him packing back to his man-cave, I don't know what is.

Edit: I said pretty much exactly what Musings did. Redundant department of redundancy.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

is a man cave anything like a man-vagina?  because the way you all make it sound, Brian looks like a pussy.

Brian is no pussy, dagnabit!!!  BRIAN EATS PUSSY FOR BREAKFAST! 

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »

This is a man cave...
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

*Lillifee*

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »

Ok, well we need to let him know the REAL DEAL.

WE LOVE THE BRIAN! COME OUT OF THE CAVE, WE HAVE SNACKY CAKES!!!

YUMMIE YUMMIE !!!!
There's a string that runs through our bad days,
and if you pull that string real tight,
the days all crumple together and all that you see is night...

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »

...I am so not Mr. A.

And Brian has arrived at the scariest, n00biest time of all. All these screaming children...if that's not enough to send him packing back to his man-cave, I don't know what is.

Edit: I said pretty much exactly what Musings did. Redundant department of redundancy.

And I do hope he stays away. It used to upset me, how little appreciation he got. Now, I think it'd be better for his reputation if Amanda retained this new generation of Dolls fans.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »

I recognise that man cave.

As long as Brian's happy whatever he's doing, I don't mind too much.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Ronan

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2008, 10:23:44 PM »

It used to upset me, how little appreciation he got.

Mm. As a drummer, that shit especially pisses me off. I don't know about other people's bands, but in my band, I have just as much say as the lead singer. Possibly more. But then, I am a control freak when it comes to music...

I don't think forums and the like are Brian's kind of deal. I can't see him sticking around for long, or posting more than general announcements. And that's no bad reflection on him; he's very friendly and warm in person, but I don't think he enjoys internet-based interactions, or has the same tolerance for them as Amanda, 'no'm'sayin'?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:38 PM »

I could use a drummer... :headbang:

jdfu!

My Two Innings

• (formerly "mousehouse")
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »

I've always enjoyed this B-Vizzle video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKUjH0xlOn0

The humor and timing are just as evident.

Musings

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »

That is such a sweet video.  Thanks for sharing.

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2008, 01:23:54 AM »

It used to upset me, how little appreciation he got.

Mm. As a drummer, that shit especially pisses me off. I don't know about other people's bands, but in my band, I have just as much say as the lead singer. Possibly more. But then, I am a control freak when it comes to music...

I don't think forums and the like are Brian's kind of deal. I can't see him sticking around for long, or posting more than general announcements. And that's no bad reflection on him; he's very friendly and warm in person, but I don't think he enjoys internet-based interactions, or has the same tolerance for them as Amanda, 'no'm'sayin'?

There's most definitely a reason he never made an account. I don't know why he did--it's probably common knowledge, 'round these parts, but I suspect it was a decision made after the youtube comment came out.

I understand what you mean about the drummer comment. In high school, my science teacher, of all people, went into a tangent about the lack of respect drummers on the whole get, and how the most talented members of your archetypal rock band tend to be, in fact, the drummer. Being able to coordinate four individual parts of your body in an independently rhythmic fashions is incredible, when you think about it. I can't even keep rhythm with a single finger.

Mandolin Rain

• Psycho Adventure Barbie
  • Midwestern Manders.
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2008, 02:24:41 AM »

it's really pathetic that took the band
breaking up for the majority of fans to realize
what an amazing musician/person Brian is.

I'm really happy for him
that he can be in a band
that shares his enthusiasm for
music, and not feel like he's
being held back at all.
Quote from: Marilyn Monroe
Beneath the makeup and the smile, I'm just a girl who wishes for the world

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2008, 02:31:40 AM »

I forgot to write, in my last post, that Brian is an amazing drummer. Because he is.

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

How do you know if the drum riser is level?

Drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »

How do you know if the drum riser is level?

Drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

I love drummer jokes.

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?

"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »

What is the difference between drummers and terrorists? Terrorists have sympathizers.

beth of all trades

• Joan of Arc
  • formerly girlwithacameranyc
    • beth hommel dot com
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »

I'm really happy for him
that he can be in a band
being held back at all.

Wow.  That's a shitty thing to say. 

Although, this week has been full of people saying shitty things, so I suppose it's par for the course.

Ryan James

• FaceBook
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »

I'm really happy for him
that he can be in a band
being held back at all.

Although, this week has been full of people saying shitty things, so I suppose it's par for the course.

I don't think there was any disrespect for Amanda in that post. I think it's a matter of fact that Amanda got most of the attention most of the time, and whether or not this spread to the creative element isn't something we know. That being said I don't think Mandolin meant that Amanda didn't share his enthusiasm or that she was holding him back. I think he probably just felt backed into a corner a bit - as Amanda probably did also - as far as the band went. Nobody wants to have to be totally tied to something 100% of the time.

I adore both of them no matter what. They're brilliant, kind folks.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?

"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

This man feels your pain....
[The exception that proves the rule, don'tcha know...]

[and hey, didn't I hear that AP did a cover of "Sister Christian" once upon a time?  That was
one of Kelly Keagy's (Night ranger's drummer, to anyone who didn't know) songs, no?] 
[Parallel complaint: in football...  when was the last time you saw an offensive lineman
get credit for doing something right?  ...blame for doing something wrong?  yeah...]

[Damn...  It does just keep coming back to AP, doesn't it?  Well, I'm not certain there's an
argument, and I certainly don't see any need to take sides.  I wish them both all the best, as
individuals and as a group.  For my part, I'll buy tix to whichever actually comes to MY TOWN...]
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Mr. Anagrammatism

• YES WE CAN !!!!
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »

Yes, it looks like the hair loss is agonizing! :sad5:
That picture is recalling Foreigner, Kansas, Foghat, and 10 cc.

Bad trip man.  Stop it.

rosesandpianos

• The Astronaut
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

I also sense some resentment, not sure I'd say it's as entrenched as bitterness.

Okay, yeah, resentment is a better word.

Matty

• Space Pirate King
    • Myspace
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »

In reply to Viggie's post a couple days ago:

Oh wow, I didnt see this the other day. Thank you so much for clearing this up, the way you put it before, it seemed like you were saying the band is fucking over with. This seems very much more like Amanda put it. I sure hope it isnt like 50 years before the Dresden Dolls rock once more, but if by some hellish chance it is, you know I'll be first in the ticket line at 68 years old. I love you Brian. Seeya.
ps Awesome that you are on here now, fuck.
The Shadowbox.
Being sutbly illegal since the birth of Amanda Palmer.

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
  • Rise of The Cephalobot!
    • Twitter
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2008, 08:57:06 PM »

I'm really happy for him
that he can be in a band
being held back at all.

I don't think there was any disrespect for Amanda in that post. I think it's a matter of fact that Amanda got most of the attention most of the time, and whether or not this spread to the creative element isn't something we know. That being said I don't think Mandolin meant that Amanda didn't share his enthusiasm or that she was holding him back. I think he probably just felt backed into a corner a bit - as Amanda probably did also - as far as the band went. Nobody wants to have to be totally tied to something 100% of the time.

I adore both of them no matter what. They're brilliant, kind folks.

for the record, i took offense to the statement, too
i'm glad people are realizing brian is an incredible person/drummer -- he restored my faith in music as a whole many years ago -- but to state ("inadvertently") that amanda doesn't have enthusiasm for the dolls and was "holding brian back" is just...gross

to be brutally honest, what kept me coming back to the dolls for a long time was brian. don't get me wrong, i LOVE those albums and i LOVE amanda and as time went on i took the band in more as a whole entity but when i first, first, first saw them i remember my expectations being blown to bits by brian. the show was amazing, the BAND was amazing, but it was mr. viglione i left being so oo'ed by. it was mr. viglione my friends checked out DD because of. one of the things for me that was most amazing about the dolls is i never felt like either member got "more attention" than the other. and to lazily say "well, amanda got most of the attention" -- y'know what? i'm sure she did at some shows, and i'm sure it's easy to place her on that pedestal of focus because she's the lead songwriter/vocalist but anyone giving her "most of the attention" missed the fuck out on the point of that band.

my favorite live bands are so good because i can't ever decide WHO to watch because they're all doing amazing shit. dolls are a prime example of that, and i think most fans felt that way, too.

btw, mandolin=she

Hugo Ball

« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2008, 01:47:03 AM »

Yes, it looks like the hair loss is agonizing! :sad5:
That picture is recalling Foreigner, Kansas, Foghat, and 10 cc.

Bad trip man.  Stop it.
Sorry.....

Um...   Just to make sure we're on the same page, you do know who that is, and why that might be funny, right?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

guavajuice

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2008, 02:16:39 AM »

to be brutally honest, what kept me coming back to the dolls for a long time was brian. don't get me wrong, i LOVE those albums and i LOVE amanda and as time went on i took the band in more as a whole entity but when i first, first, first saw them i remember my expectations being blown to bits by brian. the show was amazing, the BAND was amazing, but it was mr. viglione i left being so oo'ed by. it was mr. viglione my friends checked out DD because of. one of the things for me that was most amazing about the dolls is i never felt like either member got "more attention" than the other. and to lazily say "well, amanda got most of the attention" -- y'know what? i'm sure she did at some shows, and i'm sure it's easy to place her on that pedestal of focus because she's the lead songwriter/vocalist but anyone giving her "most of the attention" missed the fuck out on the point of that band.

my favorite live bands are so good because i can't ever decide WHO to watch because they're all doing amazing shit. dolls are a prime example of that, and i think most fans felt that way, too.

YES. Exactly the way I felt about the Dolls too.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »

I would just like to say that Phil Collins first two solo albums are fantastic, and I forgive all his cheese he did later just for the fact that he wrote the best break up song ever: I Don't Care Anymore. PC haters can kiss my ass.

Sorry to derail, but I had to.

Mandolin Rain

• Psycho Adventure Barbie
  • Midwestern Manders.
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

I'm really happy for him
that he can be in a band
being held back at all.

I'm sorry that a few of you got offended by that comment.
It wasn't meant as a shot towards Amanda at all.
It's evident that Amanda wants to continue on with the band
with posts she's made, and things she's said. The enthusiasm is definitely there.

I didn't mean for it to be shitty. I'm happy for Amanda,
she's doing a wonderful job playing her solo shows,
and i'm happy for brian being able to do his thing as well.

I guess "being held back" was really not the right choice of words at all.

Quote from: Marilyn Monroe
Beneath the makeup and the smile, I'm just a girl who wishes for the world

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

As long as the CDs don't start disintegrating and the MP3s and whatever everyone else has don't start disappearing, we all always have The Dresden Dolls. Except phrased in a way that makes more sense, perhaps.

They are both so cool and awesome and talented and I hope that we do see alot more from them, whether together or apart.
I do feel a bit sad about it, but on the whole, not as bad as I thought I'd feel if it happened.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2008, 04:04:34 PM »

As long as the CDs don't start disintegrating and the MP3s and whatever everyone else has don't start disappearing, we all always have The Dresden Dolls. Except phrased in a way that makes more sense, perhaps.

They are both so cool and awesome and talented and I hope that we do see alot more from them, whether together or apart.
I do feel a bit sad about it, but on the whole, not as bad as I thought I'd feel if it happened.
they are alive and well and living slightly more seperate lives......... as band break-ups go, this is possibly one of the most benign in history.......
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Kelley

• BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!
  • "Bemalte Blumen duften nicht."
    • KelleyKipperman.com
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »

i totally support both of them on their solo escapades. (though i am a little sad, i'll admit)
however, one thing is bothering me, and it's that i feel as if this whole thing wasn't exactly mutual..
(and there's really no great way to say this (dare i?), but i feel like it may have been stemmed by jealousy..
i mean this in the best way, if there is a best way to say it.)
anyone else get that feeling or is it just me?

Shakti

« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2008, 09:31:52 PM »

I suspect that there may be something to that, but it oversimplifies it by a lot.  They say you should never try to understand a marriage from the outside, because you can barely understand your own from the inside.  I'm pretty sure this is true of a band, too.  Relationships in general.

I think that there are good reasons for them to be taking a break right now.  Hell, even the fact that she seems to be ok with long-term open-ended ambiguity while he seems to be grasping for closure only emphasizes that.

But I don't like the way he did what he did.  I am not ok with that.  Not that that matters a hill of beans to either of them.  But I'm kind of peeved.  And feel sort of used.

Musings

« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2008, 10:23:34 PM »

They say you should never try to understand a marriage from the outside, because you can barely understand your own from the inside.  I'm pretty sure this is true of a band, too.

I agree and let's make our peace, shall we?  A week's a long enough time to go through denial, anger, sorrow, acceptance, right?  There's a lot of analysis and assuming going on right now that isn't healthy.  And I say this as one of the most analytical people that has ever existed.

seejackrun

• I wasn’t always a monster, I was a prince.
    • myspace
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »

YES. Exactly the way I felt about the Dolls too.

a-fucking-men.

brian's incredible drumming drew me in initially as well, though that's not to say amanda's songwriting didn't wow me- it absolutely did. what is so beautiful about this band is that, at least to an outsider like myself, there seems to be this incredible balance/ give and take thing. maybe that's not how it was personally between the two of them but musically it was fucking BEAUTIFUL to listen to and to watch.

Kelley

• KelleyKipperman.com
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2008, 05:35:43 AM »

But I don't like the way he did what he did.  I am not ok with that.  Not that that matters a hill of beans to either of them.  But I'm kind of peeved.  And feel sort of used.

I agree, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.
I just feel a little as if my images of him as a person have been warped. this bothers me.

I agree and let's make our peace, shall we?  A week's a long enough time to go through denial, anger, sorrow, acceptance, right?  There's a lot of analysis and assuming going on right now that isn't healthy.  And I say this as one of the most analytical people that has ever existed.

good point.
i'm willing to try to push it aside for now, and hope for the best in the future.
i'm guessing things are way more complicated than we have all been lead to believe, and maybe it's just something that time will work out... hopefully..

Shakti

« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2008, 06:48:13 AM »

I just feel a little as if my images of him as a person have been warped. this bothers me.

Exactly this. 

And I do understand perfectly that my image of him as a person is probably not particularly closely tied to the actual reality of him as a person.

Kelley

• KelleyKipperman.com
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »

Exactly this. 

And I do understand perfectly that my image of him as a person is probably not particularly closely tied to the actual reality of him as a person.

yes. the feeling's mutual. i feel really bad that i feel this way, but it's how i feel. i can't help it.

demonscars

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »

One of the things that always drew me to the Dolls was Brian's incredible drumming.  Especially live.  He just had such a presence and as stated I never knew where to look.  He was always doing interesting things on the set.  In fact whenever I'm trying to get someone to listen to the Dolls for the first time I generally start by saying "you gotta hear the amazing shit this guy is playing".  I usually follow that up with "If you think its good on an album you've gotta see what he does live".

This is really sad.  I hope they work things out sometime in the not so distant future so we can all at least see them play together again (although new DD music would be the most awesome thing in the world).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 [All]   Go Up