THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian wrote this on a youtube video yesterday...  (Read 31075 times)

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
Re: Brian wrote this on a youtube video yesterday...
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

As long as the CDs don't start disintegrating and the MP3s and whatever everyone else has don't start disappearing, we all always have The Dresden Dolls. Except phrased in a way that makes more sense, perhaps.

They are both so cool and awesome and talented and I hope that we do see alot more from them, whether together or apart.
I do feel a bit sad about it, but on the whole, not as bad as I thought I'd feel if it happened.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2008, 04:04:34 PM »

As long as the CDs don't start disintegrating and the MP3s and whatever everyone else has don't start disappearing, we all always have The Dresden Dolls. Except phrased in a way that makes more sense, perhaps.

They are both so cool and awesome and talented and I hope that we do see alot more from them, whether together or apart.
I do feel a bit sad about it, but on the whole, not as bad as I thought I'd feel if it happened.
they are alive and well and living slightly more seperate lives......... as band break-ups go, this is possibly one of the most benign in history.......
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Kelley

• BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!
  • "Bemalte Blumen duften nicht."
    • KelleyKipperman.com
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »

i totally support both of them on their solo escapades. (though i am a little sad, i'll admit)
however, one thing is bothering me, and it's that i feel as if this whole thing wasn't exactly mutual..
(and there's really no great way to say this (dare i?), but i feel like it may have been stemmed by jealousy..
i mean this in the best way, if there is a best way to say it.)
anyone else get that feeling or is it just me?

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2008, 09:31:52 PM »

I suspect that there may be something to that, but it oversimplifies it by a lot.  They say you should never try to understand a marriage from the outside, because you can barely understand your own from the inside.  I'm pretty sure this is true of a band, too.  Relationships in general.

I think that there are good reasons for them to be taking a break right now.  Hell, even the fact that she seems to be ok with long-term open-ended ambiguity while he seems to be grasping for closure only emphasizes that.

But I don't like the way he did what he did.  I am not ok with that.  Not that that matters a hill of beans to either of them.  But I'm kind of peeved.  And feel sort of used.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

Musings

« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2008, 10:23:34 PM »

They say you should never try to understand a marriage from the outside, because you can barely understand your own from the inside.  I'm pretty sure this is true of a band, too.

I agree and let's make our peace, shall we?  A week's a long enough time to go through denial, anger, sorrow, acceptance, right?  There's a lot of analysis and assuming going on right now that isn't healthy.  And I say this as one of the most analytical people that has ever existed.

www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

seejackrun

• I wasn’t always a monster, I was a prince.
    • myspace
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »

to be brutally honest, what kept me coming back to the dolls for a long time was brian. don't get me wrong, i LOVE those albums and i LOVE amanda and as time went on i took the band in more as a whole entity but when i first, first, first saw them i remember my expectations being blown to bits by brian. the show was amazing, the BAND was amazing, but it was mr. viglione i left being so oo'ed by. it was mr. viglione my friends checked out DD because of. one of the things for me that was most amazing about the dolls is i never felt like either member got "more attention" than the other. and to lazily say "well, amanda got most of the attention" -- y'know what? i'm sure she did at some shows, and i'm sure it's easy to place her on that pedestal of focus because she's the lead songwriter/vocalist but anyone giving her "most of the attention" missed the fuck out on the point of that band.

my favorite live bands are so good because i can't ever decide WHO to watch because they're all doing amazing shit. dolls are a prime example of that, and i think most fans felt that way, too.

YES. Exactly the way I felt about the Dolls too.

a-fucking-men.

brian's incredible drumming drew me in initially as well, though that's not to say amanda's songwriting didn't wow me- it absolutely did. what is so beautiful about this band is that, at least to an outsider like myself, there seems to be this incredible balance/ give and take thing. maybe that's not how it was personally between the two of them but musically it was fucking BEAUTIFUL to listen to and to watch.

Kelley

• KelleyKipperman.com
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2008, 05:35:43 AM »

But I don't like the way he did what he did.  I am not ok with that.  Not that that matters a hill of beans to either of them.  But I'm kind of peeved.  And feel sort of used.

I agree, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.
I just feel a little as if my images of him as a person have been warped. this bothers me.

I agree and let's make our peace, shall we?  A week's a long enough time to go through denial, anger, sorrow, acceptance, right?  There's a lot of analysis and assuming going on right now that isn't healthy.  And I say this as one of the most analytical people that has ever existed.

good point.
i'm willing to try to push it aside for now, and hope for the best in the future.
i'm guessing things are way more complicated than we have all been lead to believe, and maybe it's just something that time will work out... hopefully..

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2008, 06:48:13 AM »

I just feel a little as if my images of him as a person have been warped. this bothers me.

Exactly this. 

And I do understand perfectly that my image of him as a person is probably not particularly closely tied to the actual reality of him as a person.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

Kelley

• KelleyKipperman.com
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »

Exactly this. 

And I do understand perfectly that my image of him as a person is probably not particularly closely tied to the actual reality of him as a person.

yes. the feeling's mutual. i feel really bad that i feel this way, but it's how i feel. i can't help it.

demonscars

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »

to be brutally honest, what kept me coming back to the dolls for a long time was brian. don't get me wrong, i LOVE those albums and i LOVE amanda and as time went on i took the band in more as a whole entity but when i first, first, first saw them i remember my expectations being blown to bits by brian. the show was amazing, the BAND was amazing, but it was mr. viglione i left being so oo'ed by. it was mr. viglione my friends checked out DD because of. one of the things for me that was most amazing about the dolls is i never felt like either member got "more attention" than the other. and to lazily say "well, amanda got most of the attention" -- y'know what? i'm sure she did at some shows, and i'm sure it's easy to place her on that pedestal of focus because she's the lead songwriter/vocalist but anyone giving her "most of the attention" missed the fuck out on the point of that band.

my favorite live bands are so good because i can't ever decide WHO to watch because they're all doing amazing shit. dolls are a prime example of that, and i think most fans felt that way, too.

One of the things that always drew me to the Dolls was Brian's incredible drumming.  Especially live.  He just had such a presence and as stated I never knew where to look.  He was always doing interesting things on the set.  In fact whenever I'm trying to get someone to listen to the Dolls for the first time I generally start by saying "you gotta hear the amazing shit this guy is playing".  I usually follow that up with "If you think its good on an album you've gotta see what he does live".

This is really sad.  I hope they work things out sometime in the not so distant future so we can all at least see them play together again (although new DD music would be the most awesome thing in the world).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11]  All   Go Up