THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: contact lenses  (Read 3156 times)

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
contact lenses
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:26:07 AM »

so i'm thinking i might try contacts again this winter, but i don't know which ones to go for.

last time i tried them i had the hard lenses and quit after a week because they hurt way too much for my comfort and they were a bitch to get in. this time i'm probably going to try soft lenses and am leaning toward trying the ones you put in and leave in for a week and then change them.

i know there are probably people on here that wear contacts, so any advice on which kind is good, if the week long ones are good, etc?

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
Re: contact lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »

For the years that I alternated between contacts and glasses, I had the lenses that are not disposable. Then, a year or two ago I went to an optometrist at a doctor's office rather than at a private store where they want you to purchase glasses. He told me that the non-disposable lenses were obselete and that it's ridiculous that those places were even still prescribing them.

So, go for disposable ones, they are more comfortable. Disposable as in - change every x number of wears, weeks or months.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »

I say go with the disposable. And ones that you can wear to bed??? Ridiculous. When you sleep your eyes roll into your head which is a risk factor because then the lenses could just get stuck up there. And it sucks. I speak from experience.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

music box

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »

the thought of sleeping with contacts in scares me, but every time i have tried contacts i have trouble getting them in and out no matter how often i practice.

i just figured taking them in and out once a week instead of every day might be a bit easier.

Two Headed Boy

• is placing fingers through the notches in your spine
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

The practice you'll get from putting them in each morning and taking them out at night will make you wonder what on earth all the fuss was about after a couple of weeks. IMHO, it was worth the hassle.
Buffalo hunting? I've gone buffalo huntin'? What the fuck does that mean?

Carly

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »

I say go with the disposable. And ones that you can wear to bed??? Ridiculous. When you sleep your eyes roll into your head which is a risk factor because then the lenses could just get stuck up there. And it sucks. I speak from experience.

Amen.

Yeah, daily disposables are good. No fannying about with solutions and other contact lens related paraphernalia...
I guess that push has come to this, so I guess this must be shove. But before you throw those stones at me, tell me what is your house made of?

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »

IMHO, wearing contact lenses for a week or more is like leaving a sponge inside your vag.
That being said, I don't wear contacts. Never felt the need too- I look cute in frames, and my camera makes it easier for me to focus without actually being able to see... And it's not digital.  :D Yay pentax! Plus my prescription isn't too bad... I'm not completely blind.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »

Fuck contacts. I'm getting LASIK in a few months, and everyone else should too. Contacts hurt, and I don't look good in glasses.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

music box

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »

i like my glasses and think i look weird without them, but the idea of being able to wear regular sunglasses instead of clip-ons or the ones that fit over is too appealing right now. especially since i discovered i look bomb in aviators.

a lot of that could just be because i've been in glasses since i was 4.

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
  • The Guy With The Blue Avatar
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:22:42 PM »

Fuck contacts. I'm getting LASIK in a few months, and everyone else should too. Contacts hurt, and I don't look good in glasses.

How much are you paying?
What is a rebel? A man who says no. - Albert Camus

slyvia k

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »

i really want to get contacts....
but here (in italy) it's such a long process.
i'm not sure why, but, to see if you can wear contacts or not, they make a shitload of tests. they put weird liquid in your eye, for like, a whole day. first for 2 minutes, then 5, then 30, then an hour, then 2 hours, then 5 hours, etc. you have to keep going back etc.... it's really looooong and you don't really see well when you have that stuff in your eye...so you need someone to walk you around.
i love glasses but sometimes i'd really like not to wear them and not make a total fool of myself by not recognising people i know and waving to stangers that i confuse with somebody else.
and do contacts really hurt?  :embarassed:

Kovacs

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »

My info might be out of date, as a disclaimer. I'm old.

Tolerance to contacts from person to person is totally variable. I wore mine for...er...9 years I think? They weren't disposable, I took them out every night. Each morning it would take me maybe 2 minutes to put them in. Pop, pop. I had no irritation, and my only real difficulties were when I'd fall asleep wearing them (dried out sticky pieces of plastic fused to your eye, ew).

I had a friend who, no matter how long she wore contacts, would take a half hour each morning to put them in. Large amounts of irritation and hassle.

I was a sort of rare case though, I took to them really well. She was the opposite, also rare. Your best bet is to try different types (I believe they'll let you do this? Maybe not). If not, you can always switch up what you wear for not a huge amount of cost I believe, depending on your insurence.

And:

Though I've had LASIK for 7 years and can't complain (20/15 vision, zoom and enhance function, infared, etc), this advice only works if you have the money and are fully grown. Unless they've changed things, they don't like to fry your eye when its just going to grow again.

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »

My info might be out of date, as a disclaimer. I'm old.

Tolerance to contacts from person to person is totally variable. I wore mine for...er...9 years I think? They weren't disposable, I took them out every night. Each morning it would take me maybe 2 minutes to put them in. Pop, pop. I had no irritation, and my only real difficulties were when I'd fall asleep wearing them (dried out sticky pieces of plastic fused to your eye, ew).

I had a friend who, no matter how long she wore contacts, would take a half hour each morning to put them in. Large amounts of irritation and hassle.

I was a sort of rare case though, I took to them really well. She was the opposite, also rare. Your best bet is to try different types (I believe they'll let you do this? Maybe not). If not, you can always switch up what you wear for not a huge amount of cost I believe, depending on your insurence.

And:

Though I've had LASIK for 7 years and can't complain (20/15 vision, zoom and enhance function, infared, etc), this advice only works if you have the money and are fully grown. Unless they've changed things, they don't like to fry your eye when its just going to grow again.

My last girlfriend told me that she tried multiple types of contact lenses, and that they all irritated her eyes, so she was stuck with glasses, but only for certain situations (she wasn't nearsighted, as I am).

LASIK gave you 20/15 vision? Neat, but what the heck do you mean by "zoom and enhance function", and please explain how you can now see the infrared spectrum.

Oh, and eyes grow very little, if at all, after birth.

music box

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:31 AM »

and do contacts really hurt?  :embarassed:

you've had an eyelash or dirt get into your eye before, right? that's not very comfortable. imagine having something in your eye all day.

so yes, contacts hurt but you get used to them. my mom's been wearing them for years and years now and says she doesn't even feel them anymore unless she gets something else in her eye.

melissa

• explain it to me again and again, like i care
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:07:51 AM »

The practice you'll get from putting them in each morning and taking them out at night will make you wonder what on earth all the fuss was about after a couple of weeks. IMHO, it was worth the hassle.

agreed!
i've been wearing hard contacts for 10 years now.  i love 'em.

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 07:20:03 AM »

How much are you paying?

during the second consultation, they quoted several prices. They said if I have a laser assisted microkeratome procedure (which, apparently means they use an actual blade assisted by lasers to make the incision in your cornea) that it'll cost about $1,500. For normal lasik, I'd pay $2,300. And for "wavefront guided lasik" (and I still don't really know what the fuck that is, something about using better lasers to make your eye more "optically perfect") I'd pay $2,500.

I still have one more consultation, because I have 20/110 vision, and ocular hypertension, which apparently makes things more complicated. I'm not comfortable with the first option, and I'm not sure which of the other two to choose. I'm really hoping that the doctor will tell me that the third option is just an extra $200 so they can test out more fancy lasers.

Oh, and all prices are per eye.  :buck2:
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 09:23:24 AM »

How much are you paying?

during the second consultation, they quoted several prices. They said if I have a laser assisted microkeratome procedure (which, apparently means they use an actual blade assisted by lasers to make the incision in your cornea) that it'll cost about $1,500. For normal lasik, I'd pay $2,300. And for "wavefront guided lasik" (and I still don't really know what the fuck that is, something about using better lasers to make your eye more "optically perfect") I'd pay $2,500.

I still have one more consultation, because I have 20/110 vision, and ocular hypertension, which apparently makes things more complicated. I'm not comfortable with the first option, and I'm not sure which of the other two to choose. I'm really hoping that the doctor will tell me that the third option is just an extra $200 so they can test out more fancy lasers.

Oh, and all prices are per eye.  :buck2:

Darn. I was hoping that the prices would have gone down somewhat, since it's now been around for several years. I guess not. I've been considering it for a while now, but at those prices, I'd basically have to ignore some bills and fast at least half of the year. :P

___ampersand

• Just likes playing hospital.
  • I'm not the girl you think I am.
    • Shameless Plug
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »

I've had contacts for eight years now, and I love them. They're soft, and I dispose of them once a month. The irritation goes away after a few days, and you do get really fast at putting them in. Worth the time and effort imho.
The kind who comes to poker pockets stuffed with kings and aces

music box

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »

thanks for your input, everyone.

it'll probably still be december until i get them. then i'll be able to take the time to get used to them.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up