THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No Man is an Island  (Read 5129 times)

Elle

No Man is an Island
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »

So I am writing an essay for my Philosophy class. It was supposed to be on the Philosophy of Religion but...I had some personal issues with the questions that were asked and me teacher told me I could about whatever I wanted, basically. Anyway, I chose to write about the things that I use in lieu of religion as a support system. I am an agnostic, and I am non-religious, but I still believe that people, in general, need a system of support to hold themselves together even if they aren't religious. I've heard so many atheists claim that religion is just a crutch and that they don't need it; well, from what I have observed, we all use and need crutches, and they come in all sorts of various forms.

Anyway, to get to my question; I was looking for philosophers who supported my viewpoint. I wanted to put the whole "No man is an island" concept in there, but John Donne was not a philosopher, he was a poet. So I wanted to know if any of you lovely people knew of any philosophers who might have writings that supported the concept of needing a system of support/not being an island.

It's really shitty trying to find them from scratch. :[ Thanks!
Only when you eat a lemon do you appreciate what sugar is. Life is a paradox...but is it really? Is the contradictions within and around us really a formal dissonance, or just another word for a chord in a language we're yet to discover?

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
Re: No Man is an Island
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

Do your own homework, stink face. XD

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:02:04 PM »

Since when are "poet" and "philosopher" mutually exclusive?

Anyway, I know somewhere around here I've got a couple of writings by some of the
Fathers of Western Thought (you know, Pla-dough, Soccerball, Arse-tot-hole, that crowd)
that would support your thesis....

Alas, they're at the bottom of a pile or the back of a shelf somewhere...

Doubtless there are searchable databases readily available...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Elle

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:08:50 PM »

I dont think that they are, necessarily, but my professor says I can't use him.

Anyway, the information on the Usual Suspects (Aristotle, Socrates, Plato) is so wide...if you have any leads (like specific titles) that would be awesome. But ew, don't go digging for it. It's definitely not that important.

Only when you eat a lemon do you appreciate what sugar is. Life is a paradox...but is it really? Is the contradictions within and around us really a formal dissonance, or just another word for a chord in a language we're yet to discover?

SomewhatDamaged

• The greatest thing to have come out of East London since the plague
  • The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:58:30 PM »

Anyway, the information on the Usual Suspects (Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Keyser Soze) is so wide...if you have any leads (like specific titles) that would be awesome. But ew, don't go digging for it. It's definitely not that important.

FIXED
Im an alltogether different being, I got black wings of fire & eyes of true seeing

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »

Do your own homework

I'm so glad a younger person posted this, because it was my first thought, but I felt too old-curmudgeon you-kids-get-offa-my-lawn-y actually thinking about posting it.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

lil' lindsay

• im this many.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »

goddamit i wanted that line!

i'm not gonna let you be the ken doll anymore.
mommy's wingman

Elle

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 12:45:06 AM »

Anyway, the information on the Usual Suspects (Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Keyser Soze) is so wide...if you have any leads (like specific titles) that would be awesome. But ew, don't go digging for it. It's definitely not that important.

Ftw.  ;D

FIXED

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 06:31:14 AM »

Do your own homework

I'm so glad a younger person posted this, because it was my first thought, but I felt too old-curmudgeon you-kids-get-offa-my-lawn-y actually thinking about posting it.

Oh lord - was I accidentally responsible again? I mainly meant it as a joke. You're just old and smelly.

Brittany

• agent_smart
  • So bright, it's like redundant to have the sun out
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »

Do you need to cite the work of other philosophers to prove your point/get an A in this assignment?
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »

Do you need to cite the work of other philosophers to prove your point/get an A in this assignment?
That would be typical.

Before a philosophy student's views are afforded any value of their own, they must be
shown to be in agreement with previously-accepted authorities.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Brittany

• agent_smart
  • So bright, it's like redundant to have the sun out
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

That's why I loathed my philosophy class... and made permanent friends with my philosophy professor.
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »

Since my dad moved to Edinburgh 20 years and as a result could no longer practice Judaism he has worked far too hard. He still goes to the synagogue in Glasgow from time to time but now it just depresses him and he comes back to Edinburgh and works some more.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Elle

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

Normally, yes. Right now I have over 100% in the class, so I could afford to leave them off, but it makes up for my lo=wer grade in Algebra to have high-ass philo grades.

That's why I loathed my philosophy class... and made permanent friends with my philosophy professor.

Yep. I am friends with mine too. That's why he's letting me do something completely different from the assigned essay....but he still wants to philosophers. :[

It isn't that I dont want to do my homework, it's that the research is giving me fits.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »

Normally, yes. Right now I have over 100% in the class, so I could afford to leave them off, but it makes up for my lo=wer grade in Algebra to have high-ass philo grades.

Yep. I am friends with mine too. That's why he's letting me do something completely different from the assigned essay....but he still wants to philosophers. :[

It isn't that I dont want to do my homework, it's that the research is giving me fits.

I can help with the algebra thing.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up