THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The sbox needs an iPhone & Android app  (Read 2152 times)

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
The sbox needs an iPhone & Android app
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »

I've been thinking about why the newer fans are more into Twitter and the horrid FarceBorg (Facebook).

Maybe it's that those websights have smart phones apps?
Which makes accessig those websights easier than the tiny web browsers that work poorly with touch screens?

Does anyone know if the software the sbox runs on by Smart Machines, has an app, or an API that would make writing both iPhone & Android apps possible?
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: The sbox needs an iPhone & Android app
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

Oh if only there were someone here who knew how to write code..............

Maybe someone familiar with the intricacies of GPU licensing.......
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »

Q1: Is there a demand for writing an app from scratch?

Q2: WIll there be anyone willing to spend hours developing and supporting an application on two different platforms??

Q3: Does new/young fans really don't use forums because of ergonomic, or is it just a move from general public towards "centralized information palces"?

As for SMF, I think there is an API, but I'm not sure. I've stopped programming over SMF when we've shutdown one forum I was an admin. Secondly, this may be more a case of writing a good custom web mobile theme than an entire application.

If I was willing and had free time,I could scratch something. But don't count on me on doing this, specially alone.

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 05:59:23 PM »

Newer fans don't come here because el queso es viejo y podrido.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »

I still prefer the queijo velho e podre than the fresh cheese of nowadays. I mean, for group discussion and interaction, Twitter and Facebook (for instance) doesn't appeal me, mostly because they get out of track really fast and you will be feeling lost unless you are following it since message one. 

But I do understand why (most) people moved away from (most) message boards and it doesn't bother me any more that boards are dying, even though I will miss the easy of use for finding old threads and following topics in general. 

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:25:33 AM »

I still prefer the queijo velho e podre than the fresh cheese of nowadays. I mean, for group discussion and interaction, Twitter and Facebook (for instance) doesn't appeal me, mostly because they get out of track really fast and you will be feeling lost unless you are following it since message one. 

But I do understand why (most) people moved away from (most) message boards and it doesn't bother me any more that boards are dying, even though I will miss the easy of use for finding old threads and following topics in general. 

I agree that the software here on the sbox is superior for all those reasosn and more.

But why have people moved away from forums?  They all have way more complaints about Twitter/FB/Patreon software/UI, than I ever saw here.

Newer fans don't come here, because Amanda doesn't come here.

The sbox also needs a solution to the Spammers and Trolls, but a minimal subscription would solve both.

I be willing to do the programming for a mobile app on the Android side, and maybe even buy one of Apple's iHorrible products and do that side.  But I suck at doing User Interface well (which may not matter, as people seem quite willing to deal with the lossage that Twitter has, and the infinitely worse one Facebook has.)
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...
Pages: [1]   Go Up