THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reconciliation and Half-Jack  (Read 1045 times)

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
Reconciliation and Half-Jack
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »

Like many of you, I really identify with the song Half Jack. My parents divorced when I was three, so I don't remember much of my father but as I've gotten older I've learned more about the things he did and I don't much like the parts of me that I consider his legacy. I don't have contact with him but he sends my kids birthday and holiday cards which is OK. Sometimes I think I should visit before he dies in case I ever regret not knowing him, but not often.

ANYWAY, Amanda recording an album with her father, the Jack, has got me thinking about how to navigate this. Amanda, bless her, works through things directly and has had lots of therapy and support form Anthony. She is able to have a relationship with her father, an apparently happy one which is lovely. I have just compartmentalized and shut him out totally so much that I don't usually think about it.

Just wondering if any other "half-jackers" are thinking about this. I know that this song has other meanings for folks. How do you reconcile with that other part? Does one need to? What helps?

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Reconciliation and Half-Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »

I hope some of the half-jackers here check in.
Sadly, this forum isn't used much these days.

getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Faloleen

Re: Reconciliation and Half-Jack
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:04:06 AM »

My parents are not divorced but I also do not like the parts of myself I consider being my father's legacy or result of his influence. I hated him for many years. With me getting older it got better but still me being like him in any way is a nightmare. I would like my children to share my values and my dad did not provide such thing for me or my brother. We just really do not want to end up like him. Amanda is awesome to resolve her relationship with her father in such a natural and nice way. I wonder what it takes and if I will ever be able to do anything like that.
Fate is not a factor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up