THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese Democracy, The Persecution Of Falun Gong  (Read 2049 times)

SomewhatDamaged

• The greatest thing to have come out of East London since the plague
  • The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
Chinese Democracy, The Persecution Of Falun Gong
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »

Since Chinese Democracy is the phrase on the world's lips. Maybe its time for a serious thread.

Falun Gong is a form of spiritual meditation, which has a strong inference to morality that can in some respects make it a religious belief. It has at it's heart the principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, and Forbearance. Falun Gong attained mass popularity in china in the early 90s with reports estimating over 70 million practitioners in China.
 On July 20th 1999 The Chinese govt. began a crackdown on Falun Gong, declaring it illegal. It is thought the Chinese Govt. consider it a threat as it has its roots in pre communist China. Devotee's of Falun Gong are regularly arrested, beaten, tortured (inc shocks, stress positions, branding, force-feeding, sexual abuse) death & most disturbing of all, the live harvesting of organs.
Amnesty International have estimated that around 10'000-15'000 practitioners are executed every year.

Further info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Falun_Gong
Im an alltogether different being, I got black wings of fire & eyes of true seeing

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: Chinese Democracy, The Persecution Of Falun Gong
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »

Since Chinese Democracy is the phrase on the world's lips...
Since when is Rob "the world"?

Isn't "Falun Gong" actually Mandarin for "Mormon"?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »

mmm.. I was given a leaflet about this by some bloke near Trafalgar Square during the summer (before the Olympics).

The whole thing sounds pretty stupid (the supression of the practise not the practise itself.. but then most things that aren't actively encouraged/sanctioned by the government in China are considered a "threat" to it and are banned and/or heavily suppressed.)

What can you DO, though? I asked a charity-caller guy on the phone this recently. What kind of effect can one actually have on another countries laws and policies? How can anyone stand up to something as monolithic as the CCP? I support Amnesty International, I've signed petitions, I've written letters.. the PRC has no reason to listen to anyone elses opinion on their domestic policies. And they don't. They never have. They act deeply offended anytime anyone dares criticize them for anything they do.

The Chinese Communist Party won't change unless the people of China stand up and MAKE THEM change and the rest of the world supports them. And they won't do that unless a/ they get better access to uncensored information, b/ their economic situation worsens, and globally the support won't happen unless strict ethical global trade policies are put in place and adhered to by all the major importers of Chinese-made goods.

That goes for all the big issues regarding China's human rights record.. Tibet, Falun Gong, political prisoners, torture, all of it. None of it will change and the Chinese government will continue just as they are for as long as they are allowed to do so.

SomewhatDamaged

• The greatest thing to have come out of East London since the plague
  • The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »

There has been a constant 24/7 protest & vigil opposite The Chinese Embassy in London & sadly Bad Kitty I think your right, which means no change in the future as far as I can see. It all goes to show just how toothless the international community are & the hypocrasy that seems to prevail.
Im an alltogether different being, I got black wings of fire & eyes of true seeing

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 02:39:51 AM »

It's a shame they are not witholding  a resource the West wants badly (oil for instance) The fact that they are only too willing to trade with the West, means no-one has a reason to go in there and "Liberate" the country
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »

It's a shame they are not witholding  a resource the West wants badly (oil for instance) The fact that they are only too willing to trade with the West, means no-one has a reason to go in there and "Liberate" the country

We're Sorry,
Liberation (item #3122A) is not available for delivery to nations which actually possess weapons
of mass destruction ("WMD": nuclear, biological, or chemical arms).  We can have your order
shipped to the nearest Western-Puppet ® state for pickup, but we cannot accept any liability
for transshipment beyond that point.

Thank you for your business,
Customer Support
US of A Inc.

Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up