THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halloween! London!  (Read 1221 times)

Miss Sahara

Halloween! London!
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »

Soooo.... is anyone who occasionally reads the shadowbox going to one of the London shows??

I'm going to the show on october, 31st and figured I'd start a thread now like in old times and pretend that people still use the shadowbox hahaha

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Halloween! London!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »

great you started the thread!
might comment on a few of the more recent threads!
OK, if I link to this thread from the FB event page?

i've decided not to go to these shows from Boston in the USA.
hopefully, other sboxers are going & will post!

getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Miss Sahara

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »

great you started the thread!
might comment on a few of the more recent threads!
OK, if I link to this thread from the FB event page?

i've decided not to go to these shows from Boston in the USA.
hopefully, other sboxers are going & will post!

Hi :)

hm, i feel like facebook is a whole other world, and there is already a group there to connect for the shows...
it's no problem if this thread is not really used, it's just for fun and nostalgia^^
but thank you for your efforts! :)

i am sooo curious how the dolls will sound and i cant wait (and i wonder if the things i will feel when listening will resemble the things i felt when i saw them the last time, 10 years ago...getting older is strange)

and ok i'll check out other recent threads now, haha

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »

i've been to the boston & some of the nyc reunion shows since
the "breakup" almost a decade ago.
the d.dolls sounded much the same to me.
brought up similar feelings, but as I had felt more & grown,
so had my feelings.
i particularly enjoyed meeting new fans & seeing old ones.

let us know how you find the London shows?!?

& have fun here on the sbox & elsewhere.
getting started:

further back:

Merk

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »

I just realised I've been a fan of the dolls/Amanda for 12 years now...  I have seen Amanda numerous times (last week in Edinburgh actually) but this will be my first dolls gig.  I can't remember when I was this excited about a gig since I was a teenager!?  I am still in disbelief that this is happening.

The dolls were THAT important band for me when I was "discovering myself" in high school.  I was such a fangirl.  (i guess I still am?)  The dolls have always been in a special place in my heart now for over a decade.  It's nice to revisit the forum and remind myself of the impact the dolls have had on my life and in bringing this forum/community together.

I'll be there on the 31st, what songs are we hoping to hear?  I would really love to hear Glass Slipper.  It's an added bonus these gigs are over the Halloween period, I'm excited to see what they make of that...  the 18th year anniversary? wow. 

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »

I just realised I've been a fan of the dolls/Amanda for 12 years now...  I have seen Amanda numerous times (last week in Edinburgh actually) but this will be my first dolls gig.  I can't remember when I was this excited about a gig since I was a teenager!?  I am still in disbelief that this is happening.

The dolls were THAT important band for me when I was "discovering myself" in high school.  I was such a fangirl.  (i guess I still am?)  The dolls have always been in a special place in my heart now for over a decade.  It's nice to revisit the forum and remind myself of the impact the dolls have had on my life and in bringing this forum/community together.

I'll be there on the 31st, what songs are we hoping to hear?  I would really love to hear Glass Slipper.  It's an added bonus these gigs are over the Halloween period, I'm excited to see what they make of that...  the 18th year anniversary? wow.

many of the d.dolls reunion shows have been on or near Halloween.
{for the obvious reason ; - }
getting started:

further back:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »

glass slipper would be amaaazing... or bank of boston beauty queen... but i honestly doubt they will play them :-(
i personally hope they'll include some no virginia songs but i try to keep my expectations low^^

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »

glass slipper would be amaaazing... or bank of boston beauty queen... but i honestly doubt they will play them :-(
i personally hope they'll include some no virginia songs but i try to keep my expectations low^^

i always hope for Kalendra(sp?).
i've only heard it live once.

a fan since The Onion Cellar, Dec 2006.
getting started:

further back:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »

hmmm you don't mean Kaledrina...?

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:09:47 PM »

hmmm you don't mean Kaledrina?

yes, Kaledrina is the song I always hope for.
i couldn't remember how to spell it.

2005 recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ditu_oLGTw

Lyrics (at least one version):
http://www.metrolyrics.com/kaledrina-lyrics-the-dresden-dolls.html

getting started:

further back:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »

2005 recording:

yes, I've heard this recording before... great song!! I didn't know it was part of the onion cellar...

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 10:52:35 AM »

a fan since The Onion Cellar, Dec 2006,
.though I don't remember Kaledrina being played there.

2005 recording:

yes, I've heard this recording before... great song!! I didn't know it was part of the onion cellar...

yes, great song.
i've always wondered why Kaledrina didn't make an album/EP,
& is played so seldom.

i don't remember Kaledrina being played at The Onion Cellar.
i've tried to clairify this by editing above,
getting started:

further back:

stellifera

• we are born with a melody
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 03:37:14 AM »

I will also be there, but on the 30th; leaving early on the 31st.

(there's still this little corner in my heart that hopes for a revival of the good old shadowbox)
warm and wise and really rather wonderful

and even then i am not usually sure she is into me.  and if i find out she is, my first instinct is to cook for her and fetch her damn slippers.

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »

I will also be there, but on the 30th; leaving early on the 31st.

(there's still this little corner in my heart that hopes for a revival of the good old shadowbox)

enjoy London!!!

[there is an immense suite in the mansion of my heart soul, that hopes for a revival of the good old shadowbox. ; - }
getting started:

further back:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »

2005 recording:

yes, great song.
& is played so seldom.

Oops, sorry, i misunderstood!

I just got back home from London... I still can't believe how good they were AAAAHHHH

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »

2005 recording:

yes, great song.
& is played so seldom.

I just got back home from London... I still can't believe how good they were AAAAHHHH

as much my fault for not writing clearly.

yes, the d.dolls are very much better live.
granted how great the audio recordings & videos are,
i'm not surprised that many people do not understand
until they see them live!
getting started:

further back:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »

2005 recording:

yes, great song.
& is played so seldom.

that's true. I have seen them 3 times before their hiatus (and Amanda solo many times), but I felt like this time they were very hm...focused?! Amanda's voice was in fantastic shape and their long improv part during mandy goes to mad school was just so precise and thrilling. and they didn't seem to get tired at all during the 3 hour set.
I have definitely seen them sloppier (more tired? drunk? punk cabaret?) before, or maybe i have blocked out the memory of how good they actually are so i can cope with the fact that they quit OR they just improved on their own in the last couple years or all of that.

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 11:21:24 PM »

2005 recording:

yes, great song.
& is played so seldom.

that's true. I have seen them 3 times before their hiatus (and Amanda solo many times), but I felt like this time they were very hm...focused?! Amanda's voice was in fantastic shape and their long improv part during mandy goes to mad school was just so precise and thrilling. and they didn't seem to get tired at all during the 3 hour set.
I have definitely seen them sloppier (more tired? drunk? punk cabaret?) before, or maybe i have blocked out the memory of how good they actually are so i can cope with the fact that they quit OR they just improved on their own in the last couple years or all of that.

their performances since the hiatus have started have all been top-notch.
some beforehand were a bit below that.

i suspect most of the difference is due to their not being so tired from constantly touring,
and what the growth they have each had separately as artists & humnas.
getting started:

further back:

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »

for all of you who just saw the d.dolls for the first time in London, across the fan time line to those who saw the d.dolls at their very first performance.  {thanx to Nadia Juhnke for reminding me of this & to the author for the best description of my favorite band EVAH!
 ; - }
https://www.spin.com/2010/11/neil-gaiman-amanda-palmer-dresden-dolls/
getting started:

further back:
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up