THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: HEADS UP: Brigadiers Must Purchase Tickets for Solo Tour Shows  (Read 4208 times)

Nicola

• don't give a fuck if she's a
  • Keepin' the "Punk" in Punk Cabaret.
    • NN ... Graphic Design & Street Art
HEADS UP: Brigadiers Must Purchase Tickets for Solo Tour Shows
« on: November 26, 2008, 05:58:27 AM »

I realized I hadn't seen this addressed anywhere on the boards, so I figured I should give you all a heads up, since we've all gotten in for free since the Brigade started up 4 years ago. Expect to pay your own way in at the Amanda Palmer solo shows this time around, regardless of whether or not you're performing. I'm not entirely certain why this happened, but apparently this time there are not enough spots on the list this tour, so they cut the Brigade's spots.

Of course, this is the Punk Cabaret. I will be extremely disappointed in any Brigadiers who pay admission, as opposed to sneaking in. The entire NYC Brigade was told we'd have to buy tickets... and suffice it to say we didn't. PM me for my favorite tips and tricks.

Have fun and be beautiful!
:wav:
I want this image attached to everything I post. Please imagine the little fuckers saying "HUP!" everytime they do the wave. HUP! HUP! HUP! HUP!

EudoraFletcher

Re: HEADS UP: Brigadiers Must Purchase Tickets for Solo Tour Shows
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:02:44 AM »

Actually this was addressed even before solo tickets went on sale and for the shows even prior to the WKAP release...if you can or did read it was made very specifically clear AT BOTH TIMES!!!!

I am anarchist in nature but I have no problem with brigading and paying to get in...yes I know the tricks too but respect for an artist's lifeblood on the road and making the record SHE wanted to makes paying seem like an even exchange~at the least...and from a karma standpoint it makes you a bit petty and I am PMS'ing so yes I said it...

not sucking up as I am a total fucking broke ass until I start my new job in January.  And I still bought my tickets.

Have respect for yourselves and for her...

:violent5:

"When the soul first puts on the body's shirt,
the ocean lifted up all its gifts.

When love first tasted the lips of being human,
it started singing."

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:30:46 AM »

I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes but I get the impression that, if nothing else, clubs are getting stricter with the guestlists. I was talking to Katie Kay last Monday and, when she noticed that I wasn't taking pictures, she asked if I had bought a ticket. I said I did, which was true. She looked very relieved.
"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

Laurie

• I WANT YOU TO LEVITATE ME.
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

I am anarchist..

you should really edit that.

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »

and why is that dear?

it started singing."

Nicola

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »

You wanna talk about respecting artists? Start with not calling me petty. I'm a professional artist just like Amanda, and so are many members of the Brigade. At the moment, my financial situation is literally a nightmare, and I truly do not have $26 to spend on a concert in which I'll be expected to work. Some people support The Dresden Dolls and/or Amanda with their wallets, and for a long time members of the Brigade supported the scene with their hearts, time, creativity, and effort. Truly blood, sweat, and tears.

Saying that "paying seems like an even exchange" suggests to me that you don't take working as a member of the Brigade seriously. The even exchange is that we do work for her (not to mention that some people pour a lot of money into the costume, props, makeup, etc.), and are compensated for our work by getting to enjoy some of the show. By your logic, everyone working in a venue, including the opening acts, should be paying admission.

Also, not to make this personal, but you mention being broke, but then say you bought a ticket. I'm curious how you would define "broke." I define it as having no money- being unable to pay for basic necessities like food, utilities, rent, and clothing. If you can afford a concert ticket, you're not broke.

Also, I believe Laurie was indicating your misuse of the word anarchist. It's a noun, and you used it as an adjective to describe yourself. You should have said "I am anarchic in nature."
I want this image attached to everything I post. Please imagine the little fuckers saying "HUP!" everytime they do the wave. HUP! HUP! HUP! HUP!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »

I am very passionate about the brigade but have never seen it as something that you should expect free tickets for....
It is not something that is a billed and booked part of the gig, it is a creative platform for fans and likeminded artists to express themselves and their love for and support for what Amanda/ The Dresden Dolls represent.... no matter how professional individuals are, it is not a professional act.....
Obviously occasional free tickets are a massive privilege that some of us have had the luxury of getting, but to take issue with not getting them is not really in the spirit of the whole thing........Sometimes I have happily spent hundreds of pounds (including travel, props etc) just to be a part of something I truly care about.... I am certainly not Rich by any stretch of the imagination....
 I am sure Amanda would love to be able to pay for everyone who is involved in making her artistic vision come to life, and fully appreciates our efforts no matter how amateur or professional they may be, but the reality of touring means that sometimes this is not possible ( free tickets=less money on the door and less money for the venue, thus less money to pay for all the stuff that is vital to making these things happen in the first place )
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Musings

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »

Nicola, have you thought about putting out a collection hat, with a sign like "we paid for our ticket, please pay for our art"? 
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Nicola

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:47:57 PM »

It's been over two years since I've brigaded, and I guess things have just changed. You probably won't see me brigading again.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »

It's been over two years since I've brigaded, and I guess things have just changed. You probably won't see me brigading again.
That would be a real shame..... what you have to remember is that a lot more people want to do the brigade thing now, and the venues are bigger than ever (and thus more costly)  this tour in particular is very large and costly but is largely being done on a shoestring budget by people who care...... that is what is important..... If I had a credit/debit card that actually worked at the moment ( I am financially screwed according to my bank ) I would gladly buy you a ticket for a show of you choice just so that you could do something creative

@raliel

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:09:44 AM »

i was being sarcastic about the why edit...it is a fucking message board and i wrote that while drinking so going back and editing after the fact is ridiculous to me...

and I don't have a fucking dime to my name because i have not been able work due to taking care of  my sick parents...and i donated plasma for gas money to get there...i sold shit to get my ticket.  i understand financial hardship.  i also believe in supporting artists and musician's by paying for tickets and cd's...i never even heard the whole album until a month ago when my friend bought it for me as a present...that's just how i roll.

instead of petty maybe i should have called you whiny instead...or also.

in KC when i brigaded i only went in for free so i could give my ticket away to a young girl outside the show who did not have enough money for a ticket...i was flat ass broke then too.

it started singing."

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:47:52 AM »

Hmm.
I figured it would be thought of less as work and more as something that is fun and a chance to be creative and show other people in support of an amazing musician (or an amazing band).
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

inkpen

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:27:39 PM »

Sooo...everyone is getting sort of testy and just reacting instead of listening to each other. I've got to say I feel a little slighted after being in the brigade for three years and always getting in free. Not to mention this tour is NOT a Dresden Doll tour. Has anyone else noticed? Has anyone considered that maybe Amanda doesn't want the Brigade for her shows? I haven't heard one way or the other but unless I hear it from the source, I'm going to assume she wants it to be a Dresden Doll exclusive thing.

I love to work for the Dolls (and it is work, a labor of love) but unless Amanda says she wants the brigade at her shows, I'm staying out of it. I'll still go to the shows, though.

Punk Cabaret is  :brave:

the empty girl

• cyber stalker extraordinaire.
  • I'm going to go draw happy cheese now.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03:17 AM »

if Amanda didn't want the brigade at her shows, we wouldn't have been contacted about participating. I think this is all a HUUUGE misunderstanding. The 2009 tour, I'll be ready and prepared to pay my way, without complaint. The opportunity alone to be a part of the event is totally worth 25 bucks.

"When people say they envy me and my life that's like a movie come true, I smile and neglect to tell them that the movie is Rock-a-Doodle." -JV

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:34:40 AM »

this was posted back on August 2oth...

my comrades!!!

many have been wondering and asking what the state of the brigade is for the solo shows.
do not worry, we have plans up the ass. may i introduce to you....
Mr. Steven Mitchell Wright of the Danger Ensemble.
Steven and his talented australian cohorts are going to be touring with me ALL YEAR in the states and europe.
the show i'm taking on the road is VERY theatrical, much more stage action than a dolls show, and we definitely need help.

steven and i are so so sO SO EXCITED about our plans for this year, we're practically exploding.

come do with,

art/rock/love
a

TOUR SHOW

So without giving too much away.. Amanda is dead right? So we should show our respects the best way we know how – with ART. We are looking for a heap of performers to be involved in each city we do the show in!

We need to create a funeral – it's up to you what kind of character you are at the funeral but we need to create something really beautiful.. We also need a funeral co-ordinator – someone who might like to be a main point of contact for the brigade and performers on the day of the show and to guide the performance - We want you to jam on what the funeral might be.. from what culture – what happens at it?  Is there a choir? Flowers? Doves? Goldfish? Are they all ghosts? Are they swaying?  Is Avril there showing her respects? There WILL be um-ber-ella's!

I really don't want to give everything away on here but if you are interested in being a performer at the shows – send me an email steven@amandapalmer.net with the subject like: PERFORMER : and the name of the city you wanna get freaky in.  In the email let me know a bit about you, your experience (if any.. not essential!) and if there's any role that you feel drawn to.. think you might have a good costume or props for..  you can email me as a representative for a group of people.   If you're on the shadowbox jam out and come up with some ideas and then hit me up..
If you don't want to perform but want to contribute.. can always just bring along some flowers or some other tribute to leave outside or at the memorial table – art, cupcakes, things Amanda would like in the afterlife with her..

Cheers y'all!
Look forward to hearing from you and meeting y'all on the road.

Steven

*and there is also a post somewhere that speaks very clearly about why they can't be letting the brigade in for free on the solo tour...and why they are changing the format and having the brigade be a bit more independent.

I don't understand why art can't just be art for art's sake.  yes getting into shows free is nice but it should not be expected and/or taken for granted...change can be a good thing and i like it when my favorite artists can pay rent and eat...

namaste,
jolly

it started singing."

Nicola

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:30 AM »

Question:
I don't understand why art can't just be art for art's sake.

Answer:
i like it when my favorite artists can pay rent and eat.

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 01:26:09 AM »

yes and that is one of the reasons why amanda can't let the brigade in for free at her solo shows...thank you.

it started singing."

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 02:55:23 AM »

..... and back to the reasons for why the Brigade is not a professional performance troupe even though many participants may be professionals!
I really do not see why people are complaining so much about this...... I tend to buy tickets whenever I can for Dolls gigs and amanda gigs...... occasionally i have had the priveledge of getting in for free (notably the entire week I was in Edinburgh last year...... it helped after spending about £300 just to be there) It is not about being better or superior to the rest  of the crowd...... who pay...... but about supporting an artist (or band) we care about in a creative way......sometimes this has complete artisitc freedom for the indiviuals involved, sometimes a more focused and specific thing will be suggested....

@raliel

wickesbi

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »

I can only speak for myself/family.  My husband and I have  brigaded at all but the first show we went to.  We have also bought tickets to every show we've been to since the first one in 2004, that totals somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 shows!  Our view is that if you appreciate the artist, you should support them, and that includes financially. Buying a ticket to a show is not charity, it is an exchange of payment for services rendered.  If the fans don't support the artists, the artists will be unable to continue providing us with the art we so enjoy.

we enjoy brigading, and appreciate Amanda's encouragement of artistry in her fans.  we appreciate being let in before the doors open when we are helping out by brigading, but every ticket we don't buy is that much less she makes on tour.

When the PROFESSIONAL artists sharing the bill (Danger Ensamble) are working for tips/no pay, I think it is a little presumptious for VOUNTEER brigaders to expect payment, especially when Amanda was clear about this from the beginning. 
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up