THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memorial: Minneapolis Dec. 5th  (Read 3225 times)

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
Memorial: Minneapolis Dec. 5th
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

A solemn memorial service
in remembrance of
Amanda Palmer (1976-2008)
will be held on Friday, December 5th
at 701 First Avenue North
7:00 p.m. (with a procession to memorial site)
tokens of remembrance may be left at the site
(flowers, poems, stuffed toys, photographs)

Questions or to take part in the procession~
contact virtual~mary here or at bewitchedmusic@gmail.com

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
Re: Memorial: Minneapolis Dec. 5th
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »

c'mon, twin citians! you know you want to do something succulent and transportive. get involved. be a part of the festivities. let your inner theater geek out for the evening. live a little!

currently, we have 5 confirmed and 2 "possible" participants for the amanda memorial. if you read this, but don't want to respond here or have questions, e-mail me at the address above or just show up after doors open and you'll spot us!

Mandolin Rain

• Psycho Adventure Barbie
  • Midwestern Manders.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:53:18 AM »

what do you have planned for this? i'm thinking of being impulsive and driving up for the show.
Quote from: Marilyn Monroe
Beneath the makeup and the smile, I'm just a girl who wishes for the world

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »

that would be awesome! would love to meet you! dress warm, though, as it's ass-chappin' cold here. 14 degrees with a wind-chill of -1 currently.

we're setting up an indoor shrine to our dearly departed amanda, and an improvised memorial "service" in which we hope to involve unsuspecting audience members (many of whom will be shocked to learn of her death and at the accompanying overt displays of emotion).

did you go to the chi-town show last night?

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »

i was thinking of going but i can't swing getting a ticket and did not get money for mine last night in chgo,,,should have sold one-damn!

it sounds like you will have a blast wish i could come play with you all...enjoy!

ps amanda-we missed you at the show last night!
"When the soul first puts on the body's shirt,
the ocean lifted up all its gifts.

When love first tasted the lips of being human,
it started singing."

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »

thanks for the sweet-home chicago shine, ef!

Mandolin Rain

• Psycho Adventure Barbie
  • Midwestern Manders.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:33:40 AM »

it's that cold here in wisconsin right now! how many people usually show up for the minneapolis show?

i'm being impulsive, and hoping it doesn't snow today.
Quote from: Marilyn Monroe
Beneath the makeup and the smile, I'm just a girl who wishes for the world

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

Have a great time tonight!  :headbang:

I had in fact decided to go last night around 3am when i got a call from an old friend who is very yummy~very single~very cool and lives there...she wanted to cover tickets if whilst staying the weekend i cooked for us...she has my orgasmic dream kitchen-a chef's dream kitchen even...I had my funeral dress/outfit all set to go and she was going to wear a vintage man's suit so we were gonna join you all in the service...was half way through loading my car and realized fuck it i do not feel like driving over 650 miles rt right now...normally no problem but i think i have the post show funk blues...the better the show the harder the fall...

so, i look forward to seeing pictures of the MN brigade!

it started singing."

AllMediaReviews

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:23:32 AM »

hey it was great meeting you Mary and Eric at the show tonight. My 1st Amanda/DD's experience!  :)

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »

well that was easy, eh, kyle? great to meet you also! you got a phenomenal introductory show to be sure!

i just noticed the time of your post. i was still up, until 6:00 a.m. actually. still humming.

AllMediaReviews

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »

yeah it was fun..altho I guess maybe sharing the review I posted on progressiveears would be worth doing..and I'll preface by saying some of it could be due to never seeing her or The Dolls before.

The show itself was a mixed bag. She puts on a good show. Quite different than most shows I've seen, except I can't get past how similar the approach is to the 2 JENNY DALTON shows I saw this past year with the VISUAL ARTISTS and THEATRICS.

Otoh,

a) the sound coming from the attached venue "The Entry" really scrued this show up in a lot of ways. First Ave does not SOUND PROOF their walls. The bass was constantly being heard throughout the show. The security people claim it is just due to the fact a lot of the concert we were hearing was so quiet, but I call bs on that to a point due to the fact I've attended I dunno 15 or more concerts there and that's the 1st time I've ever noticed that.

b) I can't get past the fact she LIP-SYNCED "Guitar Hero" which is one of my favorites from the new album, and maybe the song I was looking forward to most live. Instead, she did a dance with a guitar and the actors/ensemble that are her traveling group.

c) she also did a cover of Bon Jovi's "Livin on a Prayer"..frankly, even she can't make that song worth hearing again.

But overall, the energy and showmanship..along with the kind of show (and performance art) that Amanda and her group put on was entertaining. She did play pretty much all of her new album, albeit mostly stripped down with her at the (keyboard) piano and a violin and cellist. She also covered Prince's "Purple Rain" in the encore which was cool and fitting as she talked about being a huge fan of that album as a kid. She also apparently got Neil Gaiman to read the little "Who Killed Amanda Palmer" bit written on the back of the album art, via telephone over the p.a. which was cool. I guess her and the other 11 in her touring group got to stay at Neil's home the night before (Gaiman's Menomenie, WI, which is a small town not too far from the Twin Cities). Neil and Amanda are friends and he and her put together a book that is a companion piece of mostly older/classic-styled photographs of Amanda, that is due out in January I guess.

I would go for her going out on tour with instead of a theatrical group, AN ORCHESTRA or Chamber ensemble instead; therefore, many of those pieces with the horns and the vocal-chanting could be done live, at least more similarly arranged to the album-versions. But I can imagine the cost of them vs the performance artists she has is quite a bit higher given she even asked for donations for them since they are on the tour more-or-less Pro-Bono. I bought $60 merch tho, so I can feel I *donated* anyway

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »

kyle, think of the lip-sync with tongue-in-cheek and you're halfway there (oh-oh, livin' on a prayer)

mandolin, you didn't make it up? i'm fairly certain we would have spotted each other. :disappointment:

eudora f, there will be brigade pics, promise.

EudoraFletcher

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:38:29 AM »

looking forward to them Virtual M... O0

it started singing."

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »

i haven't forgotten, eudora, i've just been unable to, as yet, extract them from the friend who took them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up