THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Create your own narratives  (Read 8761 times)

Twice Belladonna

• I cut off my hair and went to sleep.
Re: Create your own narratives
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

I don't know what he ever did to deserve this. I have to get rid of the body. I'll just chop him up and make him into a stew. Oh, Reginald Onionson, you were too young...

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »

^ lol

Yes. It is time for another!

http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

unfortunate slip

• Whoops!
  • Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.
    • my site
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »

It was just a tree, George thought to himself. Blinking frantically, he shut his eyes tight, willing the vision away, and trying to remember what the court-appointed psychologist had said. He opened his eyes tentatively, but it remained: a vision of tantalizing femininity trapped in wood. His eyes traveled up and down the suggestive curves of the trunk and branches. There were the outstretched arms, raised towards the sky; there, the head thrown back in reckless abandon; there, a set of shapely legs, held in a graceful arabesque. And in between--George caught himself. His feet seemed to be moving towards the tree of their own volition. It's only a tree, it's only a tree, he repeated inside his head. As he drew closer and closer, he could hear a voice saying those words over and over again, in a tone becoming increasingly hysterical. Somewhere in the back of George's mind, he realized with horror that it was his own voice, but he was past caring. All of the sessions with the psychoanalyst, all of the community service hours, everything had been forgotten. Trembling, he reached out with one sweaty hand to caress the bark. It felt pleasantly rough to the touch, not as abrasive as the Scots Pine had been, and thankfully without the messy, easily-shredded bark of that birch tree a few months back. He had been hours picking little bits of bark out of his clothes after that one. But none of that mattered now. He had found the perfect partner, the one for whom he had been searching for such a long time. "Hello, Daphne, my darling," he murmured thickly, one hand reaching for his fly. He hoped to hell that the Botanical Gardens didn't have security cameras.
The boys throw stones at the frogs in jest.
But the frogs die in earnest.

CourtneyFG

• Abby Rose
  • blue from the inside out
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »

They say that there are two types of sculpture, assemblage, where you construct it out of multiple parts, and relief, where you carve it out of something solid, like wood or stone. At first they called me crazy and overzealous, but I called it stubbornness. The more they told me it couldn’t be done they harder I tried, I was proceeding through sheer tenacity, and I was going to grow my sculpture.

It wasn’t so hard at first, the branches were quite nimble, and easy to manipulate, I used tomato stakes to guide the tree in a right direction. I trimmed any unnecessary, off shoots, and twigs. But as the tree grew bigger, the branches grew stronger, I couldn’t move them any which way, I had to interpret what it wanted to be, and simply guide it.

People laughed when I pointed a fan at the tree and left it there for a year. It did the job though. I was doing something that had never been done before, and had to find and explore new ways of working with the medium. No one quite knew how to classify it. It wasn’t gardening or topiary, I wasn’t cutting shapes out of foliage. However the artist refused to accept it as art.

Years went by and my tree grew bigger still, and the branches wouldn’t move anymore, the tree was telling me that my work was complete. It made the front page of the local paper, and someone put it in a tourist handbook, but most of the time I was the only one who took any notice, that feeling of pride inside when I looked at my art, and thought, I proved them wrong, I did it.

My tree still stands today, though I can’t say the same for myself. She is a little worse for wear, though completely understandable, she has aged gracefully.

She Grew.
'whacking of 'ill get you off, but it's just not the real thing'

Kenny Wisdom

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »

Now that I liked, Miss Abby Rose.

There's a short film in that, definitely, with a narrator narrating narrative nicely.

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

Yeah, but you should have seen the picture before the photo-editor "fixed" her calves....
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Kenny Wisdom

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »

Ah, what ends up on the cutting floor, eh, CGB?

Okay, script writers, devisers and developers. Here's a new one for you. I'm after something a bit different this time, in that I'm going to set the context of the duologue you're going to write.

First, a picture:

Second, a description:

Characters A & B return to Snowdonia to celebrate their Golden Wedding anniversary. This was where they honeymooned all those years ago...

They recall the hilltop cafe where they spent a blissful afternoon. However, time has taken its toll. A is now blind and relies on B to describe their surroundings and to recreate the memories of yesteryear, as they stand, overlooking the valley, with the path winding its way to the Hilltop Cafe behind them...

However, after 50 long years of marriage, is all necessarily as it seems?

You decide...in this short scene please include stage directions with dialogue, as appropriate.

Greg Nova wrote:

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 02:27:33 PM »

A: I’ll always wonder.
B: You won’t always wonder.    
A: I will. I wake up every morning wondering, sometimes in the middle of the night. I try not to think about it, but it always seems to be there.
B: One day it will stop.
A: When?
B: I can’t tell you that.
A: But how long? How long can it go on?
B: A long time. But not forever. It depends.
A: On what? Please. I can’t keep going like this.
B: Stop fighting it. Just let the thought come.
A. But when I do it’s all I can think about.
B: Then you have to think about it.
A: But that’s all I’ve done!
(short silence)
B: Just don’t stay there. When it comes into your mind, acknowledge it, then let it go.
A: But it comes into my mind all the time.
B: I know, but that will lessen after awhile.
A: I just wish it would happen faster. I need to know I made the right choice.
B: And that’s why you keep thinking about it.
A: Because I need to know?
B: Yes. And because you need to know you were right.
A: What’s wrong with that?
B: Nothing, but it’s why you keep thinking about it.
A: So to not think about it I need to not care if I was right?
B: Right.
A: But that would mean I didn’t care.
B: Would it?
A: I don’t know.
B: Ah.
A: What? It’s better if I never know?
B: If you’ll never know, then isn’t it better already?
(short silence)
A: Sort of.
(pause)
B: I think you made the best choice you could.
A: You do?
B: Yes.
A: Why?
B: Because you thought about it and then made a decision. There’s nothing more than that.
A: There isn’t?
B: No. That’s all it is. All the questions, they’re the future and the past.
A: But you can’t just stop asking questions. That would be foolish. We need questions.
B: We do need questions, I agree. More than less I would say.
A: So, then? What?
B: What if you didn’t expect a particular answer, but knew you’d get one?
A: An answer?
B: Yes.
A: I guess I’d keep asking?
B: What?
A: The question?
B: Would you?
A: Maybe not?
B: What if the answer wasn’t about being right or looking good?
A: Then what would the answer be about?
B: Being happy?

lovehound

• Heeerrreee's Cookie!
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

She, of course, remembered everything, from the colors of the flowers and forest around them as they sat outside together in the sunshine, to what he ate, and how she had loved seeing his hands wrap around his coffee cup, or lift his fork to her mouth so she could taste the crepes he'd ordered. Fifty years later, she thought as they stood in the sunshine again, just down the path from where they sat all those years ago. Fifty years later, and look at how everything had changed. He lost his sight years earlier to macular degeneration, and the grace in his hands had been stolen by arthritis. She untucked his hand from the waist of her jeans, where he'd learned early after the blindness to hang on as they walked together. Taking his hand, she rubbed her fingers over the knotted, gnarled lumps of bone, thinking how his hands had stroked her younger self to passion, had held their babies, had mended fences and windows and scraped knees. He was quiet beside her, waiting until she was ready. Patience had always been one of his many virtues, one she admired in him and lacked in herself. Her throat hurt with the things she wanted to say to him.

"Theo." Her voice broke.

"I know," he said.

He remembered everything, too. 
"We'll find out that your mom was right, and you'll admit you're really gay."

Kenny Wisdom

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

I like the two very different apparoaches to the challenge, here. Mary, I wanted to know more, which is good...

I like the transformation of the body as you describe it, Lovehound, taking us from young lovers to elderly...(com)passion...

Greg Nova wrote:

lovehound

• Heeerrreee's Cookie!
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 05:39:13 PM »

I like the two very different apparoaches to the challenge, here. Mary, I wanted to know more, which is good...

I like the transformation of the body as you describe it, Lovehound, taking us from young lovers to elderly...(com)passion...

I'm not very good at a.) dialogue, 2.) stage directions and 3.) lots of other stuff, so I'm hoping your challenges will help me get (slightly) better at all three. I'd settle for becoming marginally better at one, much less slightly better at all three, I guess. Thanks for the thread, and the feedback :).   

Kenny Wisdom

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »

I'm not very good at a.) dialogue, 2.) stage directions and 3.) lots of other stuff, so I'm hoping your challenges will help me get (slightly) better at all three. I'd settle for becoming marginally better at one, much less slightly better at all three, I guess. Thanks for the thread, and the feedback :).   

Aha...if you like a challenge - Ok, revisit your text. Keep the themes. I like the themes. But try something different, and for this exercise ignore stage directions. Not important. Right, big clue: one of the characters is blind. Can't see. Here is a golden opportunity to use dialogue in a way that paints the picture, and whilst the sighted person paints with vivid strokes for the unsighted person, our audience sees a picture emerging too...

Greg Nova wrote:

lovehound

• Heeerrreee's Cookie!
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »

Aha...if you like a challenge - Ok, revisit your text. Keep the themes. I like the themes. But try something different, and for this exercise ignore stage directions. Not important. Right, big clue: one of the characters is blind. Can't see. Here is a golden opportunity to use dialogue in a way that paints the picture, and whilst the sighted person paints with vivid strokes for the unsighted person, our audience sees a picture emerging too...

Accepted! But, I have to go be mom for a while and will attempt to pick the gauntlet up later this evening. Thank you :).

Bubblegum Britt

• is flirting with too many disasters.
  • All is fair in love and war and love
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »

[Husband and wife stand on the top of a hill overlooking the surrounding valley.]

Wife (slightly frustrated): John, why did you bring me here?
Husband: I thought that if we came back here, to where we began, then it would help you realize that I don't care about you losing your sight, that I still feel the same way about as when we came here 50 years ago.
Wife: What good is it going to do me if I can't see anything? It's called sight-seeing for a reason, unless I'm missing the point.
Husband: You can see through me.
Wife: Oh, this is rich. Look, John, can I just return to the cafe? Better yet, let's find a bar, I could use an afternoon pick me up. (starts to walk away)
Husband (grabbing the wife): Lily, remember the hotel? There it is right there, you said you loved the 'village air' it had to it, if I remember correctly
Wife: John (sighs, exasperated)...okay, I'll play your little game. Yes, I remember the hotel, and I also remember you becoming huffy with me because I simply noted how the bellboy had a round plump tush that was fit for tweaking...
Husband: (lightly chuckles) Lil, I don't remember that. (snickers) "Huffy"
Wife: Oh! How could you forget it? It was our first fight as husband and wife, barely a day with the titles, and we were yelling at each other over some Welsh's tush! He had a lovely accent as well..
Husband: I don't believe we would fight over that, sounds silly
Wife: (laughs) Oh, believe me, we had a lot of fights like that. One reason is because I became comfortable with you really quickly. You were my husband; I didn't have to work to get you anymore, I had you. And there was really great sex after you got all huffy, so I didn't see anything wrong with it.
Husband: Newlyweds.
Wife: Newlyweds.
(silence)
Wife: (quietly) John, I won't ever know what our first grandchild will look like. He's gonna be here in two months, and I won't ever see him.
Husband: You know what his father looks like, don't you? How he looked when he was first born, how people marveled over his eyes, his hands, his toes?
Wife: How can I forget him? We tried so hard to have him, doctor said it was impossible, you know.
Husband: Yeah, well, so you already know what our grandchild looks like before he even gets here. You have an advantage above all of us.
Wife: John, that makes no sense.
Husband: Yes, it does. Just has some hidden wisdom, that's all.
Wife: In that case you must not want anyone to find it.
Husband: (frustrated) Lily, just look at the damn view and be satisfied!
Wife: (laughs uncontrollably)
Husband: Why'd you make me do that? You know I was only trying to make you feel better. That was the purpose of this entire trip, and apparently I've failed.
Wife: (still chuckling) Oh, come now. You haven't failed, and I appreciate your efforts. I've been without my sight for two months, and it's going to take some getting used to. I'm not getting any younger, and I'm not going to spend the time I have left trying to remember things I've already seen or hoping it could come back miraculously. I am going to move on, like I always do, and adjust. Simple process. And I made you do that because I like it when you're huffy.
Husband: Lil, are you gonna be okay about this? You're laughing about it now, but-
Wife: (takes his hand, kisses it and pats it) John, just look at the damn view and be satisfied.

CourtneyFG

• Abby Rose
  • blue from the inside out
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

Stage setting  - a wooden bench, some large stones, dead looking plants, the remains of a restaurant  that still has a ‘closing down’ sign in the window, everything is yellow/brown looking

Voices off stage-

June – I still don’t understand why we had to stay so far out of town
Bill –Because everything in town was booked out.

On stage – tumble weed rolls across the stage

Enter Bill and June, stage right; Bill is guiding June by the arm and sits her down on the bench.

Bill – There you go we made it, see; you didn’t die on the walk up the hill
Jill – well I honestly felt like I was going to. (suspiciously)Bill if everything was booked out how come it’s so quiet, it sounds like it’s just us here.
Bill – well it is just us, there is some community project going on in town and everyone is at that, even    the restaurant is shut for the day.
June – oh,
Bill – I just wanted us to have this place to ourselves, to remember, to share that same joy that we felt those some 50 years ago.

Bill puts an arm around June and pulls her in closer to rest on his shoulder.

June – I know, and I Love you for that. I just wish I could see it.

Another tumble weed crosses the stage

Bill – here let me be your eyes, everything is still green and lush, and the restaurant still has those topiary trees either side of the front door, but now they are up past the roof.
June – what about the little town?
Bill – well it’s not so little anymore, it looks about three times the size, and looks far busier then I remember.

June sit’s up to face Bill

June – do you remember what you told me then I first brought you here for our honeymoon.
Bill – I love you?
June – Besides that
Bill – no
June – you said that you don’t get sentimental, and that you’d probably never come back here
Bill – well a lot has changed, you know that, you’ve been trying for the last 50 years to change me, now you’ve succeeded; besides, I know how much it means to you.

Bill pulls June in closer again.

June – Is it really just as beautiful as I remember,  this place is like you in many ways, it’s gotten more beautiful with age.

Tumble weed rolls past

Bill – I wish you could see this place … (silence) … Actually give me one second.

Bill stands up and exits stage left, then returns 5 seconds later walks over to June and takes her hands

Bill – here come with me, I’ve found something that you don’t need eyes for.

June stands up and bill guides her towards stage left

Bill – do you remember that cave …?

Exit Bill and June Stage left
'whacking of 'ill get you off, but it's just not the real thing'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up