THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The inauguration of Barack Obama.  (Read 19621 times)

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

We all know what tomorrow is. If there is anything you want to share, at all, meaning feelings, pictures, viewpoints, or anything else, just post it here. My excuse for starting this thread is just to post this video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZwqmUkP8ZD8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZwqmUkP8ZD8</a>

It played during the Rachel Maddow show, and for some reason I got a bit emotional, haha. It's kind of weird how all the sudden he starts talking though.
I'm also so impressed that he had that dinner tonight honoring John McCain, it's really an honorable thing, and shows he's a true statesman.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
Re: The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:22 AM »

I was going to make a separate post about Patriotism, but...what the fuck.  I'll add here.

I just wrote an LJ post about my feelings on Patriotism, and how they might have to change after today.  I've always been jealous of other people who come here, and proudly wave their flags without getting pissed on (too much).  For other countries, it's always been perfectly fine (most times) to wave a flag, because it's just showing pride in their homeland.  For America, we've always been the filthy, stinking dogs, and ZOMG how dare you take pride in your disgusting ways, .......you dogs!

At least that's the vibe I'm getting from Pakistan.

Anywho, I've become very aware of a few things.

We voted in a Democrat--big deal.
We voted in a Black man--ACTUAL big deal.  And yes, I do see his race.  Actually, most people wouldn't be celebrating this, if he WASN'T black (prove me wrong).  Even CNN admitted that it's about race.  Historically, he is, in fact, the first black man as president.  It is historical.  You can't sit there, like some mindless, Politically Correct drone, and tell me you don't see color.  As one comedian put it, I'd hate to see what happened if those people actually did see race.  Would that freak them the fuck out or something?

Also, a big thing that made this election different for me deals with the people themselves.  Americans actually voted for this.  53% of America, in fact, and that has forcibly restored my faith in parts of humanity.  That means something to me, and it's making me want to have that Patriotic spark for my country.  I mean, it's hard being black in America (especially being mixed, because then you get the two sides saying that you're neither one...sigh), but this proves that since the 1960s, we're actually getting somewhere.  It's rare to find black people waving flags, because...well...the obvious.  After today, the reality of the past is still present (as present as racism still is), but it's much easier to deal with.  I can accept it more, and come to terms with the fact that there are people who will never like me, or date me, purely based on my genealogy.  It's easier to accept that black men tend to be just as racist towards black women in most cases.  It's easier, because despite all that hatred, you can still get a very good education, and someday lead a country as one of the most important people in the world.  A door has been opened, and it's going to be hard to shut that door again without an uprising.  I even know that Hilary supporters have made the indecent statement, "They'd rather let a black man in, than a white woman!", but this effects women as well, in my opinion.  It effects anybody who has been barred from a position due to social stigmas and status, and says that you can if you want it.

I'm not advocating the notion that with a little elbow grease, anybody can.  Of course it all depends on your economic status (what doesn't these days?).  There will always be that hierarchy of lower, middle, and upper, because most of society has performed that way since ancient times.  But it gives you a little bit of every day assurance that says, if not you, then at least somebody like you.  We can't all do it (obviously), but this paves the way for somebody who shares my values and concerns to do something extraordinary.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling.  I guess I have to now think about whether or not I can start being proud of my country, and being openly American should I visit another country.  Should I have a flag now?  How do I display my patriotism without being a nationalist?  Should I even have to worry about looking like such a thing?  Should I not count my chickens before they're hatched?

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »

I read your post last night, and I really liked it. And you're right, many people wouldn't be celebrating is Obama wasn't black, especially the black community, haha. I share you're feeling of restored faith, and it feels good.

You could just say that your eggs haven't hatched yet, but just be like, I'm happy I found out my chicken is fertile XD And the eggs are coming!

But today my friend posted this bulletin:

Date:       Jan 20, 2009 8:20 AM
Subject:    thy end of thy world
Body:    starts todayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

enjoy life till noon

cause after that its all HELL

have a good day, its school time

I don't understand how me and her are friends, but whatever. She moved to Florida, so I won't have to see her again XD She used to have a picture of Barack in Kenyan garb, and said it said "Go ahead America, give him his own plane." I just like to keep in mind, she knows absolutely nothing about politics, and is a racist, which I didn't know until election season.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »

Whoo I get to watch it for 15 more minutes  O0
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »

ACCORDING TO CNN, HE BECOMES PRESIDENT AT NOON WITH OR WITHOUT OATH.
HE IS THE PRESIDENT NOW.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »

HE IS THE PRESIDENT NOW.
OMFG NO FORKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

YEAH HE BECAME PRESIDENT WHEN THEY WERE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC.
I feel pretty excited.

☑✝
☒♀+cake

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

YEAH HE BECAME PRESIDENT WHEN THEY WERE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC.
I feel pretty excited.
I squeeled and got dirty looks haha.  :D

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »

Bahhaha. I started clapping and my brother started going 'I don't like this. I hate the news. I hate presidents. Make me a smoothie.'
(he is 5 and so clearly, smoothies hold higher importance than any of this. haha)

☑✝
☒♀+cake

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »

HE IS THE PRESIDENT NOW.
Somebody, quick!  Hunt around and find a "Conservative" blog somewhere saying he's not really
President 'cuz he stumbled over the first part of the oat oath...  Post lynx links.

KLAATU  BARADA necktie!   ;D
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

Barack Obama.
I'm so so so happy that this man is the president of the USA. Yes, I see colour, but I couldn't care less that he is black. America, who seemed so unwilling to do so, have elected a left wing peace flag flying hippie. I have seen first hand the damage that this war, this greed and this hatred has done to the middle east, in particular Afghanistan. I have lost a family member in this illegal war. I have visited refugee camps in Iran and seen the orphans of this war. I have protested at 5am against dawn raids on Iraqi asylum seekers in the worst parts of Glasgow. I've cried in frustration. I've marched in Edinburgh in extreme sick enducing heat (seriously) at the G8 make poverty history marches- against Bush's presence in Scotland- where I was involved in mass arrests and beatings. These last 7 years have been hell on my conscience, I've thought every day about all the poor people who have been caught up in this mess  and left without homes, without mothers and fathers, without hope.

And today I walked into a pub full of people I don't know who were crying and laughing and kissing and hugging because Barack Obama represents a huge change. And I joined in.

And I'm crying as I type this. I'm so proud of everyone who voted. Barack Obama represents absolutely everything I wanted. And more. I am so happy someone has stepped up to the mark and has made clear their beautiful intentions and seems to have all the motivation and power to carry them out.

God Bless America. Today you have made me happy.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »

Where was the new 1st puppy?

I liked the acceptance speech on election night better cuz it had mention of puppies. This one was kind of a downer. Blah blah financial crisis, blah blah war... no mention of the puppy.

Maybe the puppy was a metaphor. He promised a puppy, but will he deliver said puppy? Promises, promises.. but how much of the promise is he going to keep?

A puppy is for life (or at least the next four years) not just for election night.

*the opinions expressed in this post may be clouded by the posters personal desire for a new puppy*

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:06 PM »

I liked the acceptance speech on election night better cuz it had mention of puppies. This one was kind of a downer. Blah blah financial crisis, blah blah war... no mention of the puppy.

Maybe the puppy was a metaphor. He promised a puppy, but will he deliver said puppy? Promises, promises.. but how much of the promise is he going to keep?

A puppy is for life (or at least the next four years) not just for election night.

*the opinions expressed in this post may be clouded by the posters personal desire for a new puppy*

Keep up on the puppy story! They will get one in the spring after they are settled, it will be one of the major decisions for his first 100 days
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »

Keep up on the puppy story! They will get one in the spring after they are settled, it will be one of the major decisions for his first 100 days

His kids must be saints. I'd be bugging the crap out of him about it by now.

I think I would've liked the whole thing a lot more if there had been intermittent shots of Malia or Sasha playing with a puppy while the suits did their big hall of fame induction thing.

I have my priorities. And puppies are it. Right up there with troop withdrawal, universal healthcare and clean energy.

WHAT, I ask you, embodies hope for the future more than puppies?!??

(Honestly. Tsk. Who does this man's PR? No puppies, fumbling the oath of office (okay, so it was Chief Justice John Roberts' fault, but it still looked bad), historical inaccuracies in the speech ("44 Americans have now taken the presidential oath" Gah! No, they haven't. American history majors the country/world over have two words for you, Mr President: GROVER CLEVELAND! Dude, seriously, you've been in charge for less than a minute... Can we downgrade the "Yes We Can" to a "Maybe We Can, if we work at it really really hard and don't forget anyone importants names or anything like that" now? Or are we still too excited?)

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:00:21 PM »

I see race but I see it as both subjective and meaningless.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Up