THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The inauguration of Barack Obama.  (Read 19617 times)

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

We all know what tomorrow is. If there is anything you want to share, at all, meaning feelings, pictures, viewpoints, or anything else, just post it here. My excuse for starting this thread is just to post this video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZwqmUkP8ZD8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZwqmUkP8ZD8</a>

It played during the Rachel Maddow show, and for some reason I got a bit emotional, haha. It's kind of weird how all the sudden he starts talking though.
I'm also so impressed that he had that dinner tonight honoring John McCain, it's really an honorable thing, and shows he's a true statesman.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
Re: The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:22 AM »

I was going to make a separate post about Patriotism, but...what the fuck.  I'll add here.

I just wrote an LJ post about my feelings on Patriotism, and how they might have to change after today.  I've always been jealous of other people who come here, and proudly wave their flags without getting pissed on (too much).  For other countries, it's always been perfectly fine (most times) to wave a flag, because it's just showing pride in their homeland.  For America, we've always been the filthy, stinking dogs, and ZOMG how dare you take pride in your disgusting ways, .......you dogs!

At least that's the vibe I'm getting from Pakistan.

Anywho, I've become very aware of a few things.

We voted in a Democrat--big deal.
We voted in a Black man--ACTUAL big deal.  And yes, I do see his race.  Actually, most people wouldn't be celebrating this, if he WASN'T black (prove me wrong).  Even CNN admitted that it's about race.  Historically, he is, in fact, the first black man as president.  It is historical.  You can't sit there, like some mindless, Politically Correct drone, and tell me you don't see color.  As one comedian put it, I'd hate to see what happened if those people actually did see race.  Would that freak them the fuck out or something?

Also, a big thing that made this election different for me deals with the people themselves.  Americans actually voted for this.  53% of America, in fact, and that has forcibly restored my faith in parts of humanity.  That means something to me, and it's making me want to have that Patriotic spark for my country.  I mean, it's hard being black in America (especially being mixed, because then you get the two sides saying that you're neither one...sigh), but this proves that since the 1960s, we're actually getting somewhere.  It's rare to find black people waving flags, because...well...the obvious.  After today, the reality of the past is still present (as present as racism still is), but it's much easier to deal with.  I can accept it more, and come to terms with the fact that there are people who will never like me, or date me, purely based on my genealogy.  It's easier to accept that black men tend to be just as racist towards black women in most cases.  It's easier, because despite all that hatred, you can still get a very good education, and someday lead a country as one of the most important people in the world.  A door has been opened, and it's going to be hard to shut that door again without an uprising.  I even know that Hilary supporters have made the indecent statement, "They'd rather let a black man in, than a white woman!", but this effects women as well, in my opinion.  It effects anybody who has been barred from a position due to social stigmas and status, and says that you can if you want it.

I'm not advocating the notion that with a little elbow grease, anybody can.  Of course it all depends on your economic status (what doesn't these days?).  There will always be that hierarchy of lower, middle, and upper, because most of society has performed that way since ancient times.  But it gives you a little bit of every day assurance that says, if not you, then at least somebody like you.  We can't all do it (obviously), but this paves the way for somebody who shares my values and concerns to do something extraordinary.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling.  I guess I have to now think about whether or not I can start being proud of my country, and being openly American should I visit another country.  Should I have a flag now?  How do I display my patriotism without being a nationalist?  Should I even have to worry about looking like such a thing?  Should I not count my chickens before they're hatched?

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »

I read your post last night, and I really liked it. And you're right, many people wouldn't be celebrating is Obama wasn't black, especially the black community, haha. I share you're feeling of restored faith, and it feels good.

You could just say that your eggs haven't hatched yet, but just be like, I'm happy I found out my chicken is fertile XD And the eggs are coming!

But today my friend posted this bulletin:

Date:       Jan 20, 2009 8:20 AM
Subject:    thy end of thy world
Body:    starts todayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

enjoy life till noon

cause after that its all HELL

have a good day, its school time

I don't understand how me and her are friends, but whatever. She moved to Florida, so I won't have to see her again XD She used to have a picture of Barack in Kenyan garb, and said it said "Go ahead America, give him his own plane." I just like to keep in mind, she knows absolutely nothing about politics, and is a racist, which I didn't know until election season.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »

Whoo I get to watch it for 15 more minutes  O0
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »

ACCORDING TO CNN, HE BECOMES PRESIDENT AT NOON WITH OR WITHOUT OATH.
HE IS THE PRESIDENT NOW.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »

HE IS THE PRESIDENT NOW.
OMFG NO FORKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

YEAH HE BECAME PRESIDENT WHEN THEY WERE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC.
I feel pretty excited.

☑✝
☒♀+cake

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

YEAH HE BECAME PRESIDENT WHEN THEY WERE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC.
I feel pretty excited.
I squeeled and got dirty looks haha.  :D

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »

Bahhaha. I started clapping and my brother started going 'I don't like this. I hate the news. I hate presidents. Make me a smoothie.'
(he is 5 and so clearly, smoothies hold higher importance than any of this. haha)

☑✝
☒♀+cake

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »

HE IS THE PRESIDENT NOW.
Somebody, quick!  Hunt around and find a "Conservative" blog somewhere saying he's not really
President 'cuz he stumbled over the first part of the oat oath...  Post lynx links.

KLAATU  BARADA necktie!   ;D
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

Barack Obama.
I'm so so so happy that this man is the president of the USA. Yes, I see colour, but I couldn't care less that he is black. America, who seemed so unwilling to do so, have elected a left wing peace flag flying hippie. I have seen first hand the damage that this war, this greed and this hatred has done to the middle east, in particular Afghanistan. I have lost a family member in this illegal war. I have visited refugee camps in Iran and seen the orphans of this war. I have protested at 5am against dawn raids on Iraqi asylum seekers in the worst parts of Glasgow. I've cried in frustration. I've marched in Edinburgh in extreme sick enducing heat (seriously) at the G8 make poverty history marches- against Bush's presence in Scotland- where I was involved in mass arrests and beatings. These last 7 years have been hell on my conscience, I've thought every day about all the poor people who have been caught up in this mess  and left without homes, without mothers and fathers, without hope.

And today I walked into a pub full of people I don't know who were crying and laughing and kissing and hugging because Barack Obama represents a huge change. And I joined in.

And I'm crying as I type this. I'm so proud of everyone who voted. Barack Obama represents absolutely everything I wanted. And more. I am so happy someone has stepped up to the mark and has made clear their beautiful intentions and seems to have all the motivation and power to carry them out.

God Bless America. Today you have made me happy.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »

Where was the new 1st puppy?

I liked the acceptance speech on election night better cuz it had mention of puppies. This one was kind of a downer. Blah blah financial crisis, blah blah war... no mention of the puppy.

Maybe the puppy was a metaphor. He promised a puppy, but will he deliver said puppy? Promises, promises.. but how much of the promise is he going to keep?

A puppy is for life (or at least the next four years) not just for election night.

*the opinions expressed in this post may be clouded by the posters personal desire for a new puppy*

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:06 PM »

I liked the acceptance speech on election night better cuz it had mention of puppies. This one was kind of a downer. Blah blah financial crisis, blah blah war... no mention of the puppy.

Maybe the puppy was a metaphor. He promised a puppy, but will he deliver said puppy? Promises, promises.. but how much of the promise is he going to keep?

A puppy is for life (or at least the next four years) not just for election night.

*the opinions expressed in this post may be clouded by the posters personal desire for a new puppy*

Keep up on the puppy story! They will get one in the spring after they are settled, it will be one of the major decisions for his first 100 days
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »

Keep up on the puppy story! They will get one in the spring after they are settled, it will be one of the major decisions for his first 100 days

His kids must be saints. I'd be bugging the crap out of him about it by now.

I think I would've liked the whole thing a lot more if there had been intermittent shots of Malia or Sasha playing with a puppy while the suits did their big hall of fame induction thing.

I have my priorities. And puppies are it. Right up there with troop withdrawal, universal healthcare and clean energy.

WHAT, I ask you, embodies hope for the future more than puppies?!??

(Honestly. Tsk. Who does this man's PR? No puppies, fumbling the oath of office (okay, so it was Chief Justice John Roberts' fault, but it still looked bad), historical inaccuracies in the speech ("44 Americans have now taken the presidential oath" Gah! No, they haven't. American history majors the country/world over have two words for you, Mr President: GROVER CLEVELAND! Dude, seriously, you've been in charge for less than a minute... Can we downgrade the "Yes We Can" to a "Maybe We Can, if we work at it really really hard and don't forget anyone importants names or anything like that" now? Or are we still too excited?)

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:00:21 PM »

I see race but I see it as both subjective and meaningless.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

Haushinka

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »

Andy, sometimes I love you, you are intelligent and thoughtful.
But seriously, History defies you on this one. YOU have to appreciate how important it is that a black man is president of the USA. it's not a fact that can be ignored- this man has made history against the odds.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Andy Pants

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »

Andy, sometimes I love you, you are intelligent and thoughtful.
But seriously, History defies you on this one. YOU have to appreciate how important it is that a black man is president of the USA. it's not a fact that can be ignored- this man has made history against the odds.

I'm not ignoring it. It's a signifigant event. It means the Western world is stepping a little further away from it's rigid segregation. And a lot more people might start seeing these completely subjective differences as not necessarilly being any reason for exclusion.

Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »

I don't.  I'm proud of my race and heritage.  I don't even care if those with a European background are proud of their race/ethnicity and heritage.  How can you expect others to accept and understand your culture, if you see your own as "meaningless and subjective"?  It's silly to avoid race, because various races have so much to offer the whole.

The Princess of Denial

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »

Of course the fact that he's the first black president is a big deal.  I agree, however, with the assertion that race is subjective and meaningless.  The big deal lies in the fact that many people don't see it that way, but now it seems as if race is beginning to become less important.  What's important here is that Obama has given people HOPE.

I had to work with a bunch of conservatives today who refused to even watch the inauguration.  These people need to realize that, whether they voted for Obama or not, he's the president now, and they need to stand behind him and have some faith in our country, damnit!

Sorry, I'm rambling.  I'm a little delirious.

The Princess of Denial

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

Oh, and yes, by all means, have pride in your heritage, but don't judge someone based on theirs.  Judge based on character, and actions...I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that was the point that was being made.

Andy Pants

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »

"People who base their claims to social rights on the basis of a group identity will not appreciate being told that that identity is just a social construct" - Steven Epstein

Race is a social construct as it is not something tangible. It is also subjective in that each person who believes in it has a different interpretation of it. It is also meaningless in that it is not a rigid classification or a barrier. This doesn't mean you can't be proud of it. My point is merely that it is lucid and irrelevant in most situations. But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself. This is counter-productive to a functioning society in which each individual has the freedom to act like, be and do whatever they want. It actually creates rigid social constructs and oppressive sterotypes. When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »

When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

*tongue click*

I would love to spend my long days living in your world.  Must be padded.  *sighs*  It would be nice to say that race is just this social construct we should get over.  Unfortunately, that's not always how the world works.

Kovacs

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 03:10:33 AM »

When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

*tongue click*

I would love to spend my long days living in your world.  Must be padded.  *sighs*  It would be nice to say that race is just this social construct we should get over.  Unfortunately, that's not always how the world works.

I agree with Caddy, and double the tongue click.

http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=5308.30

Andy: Hilarious that you'd go from "if someone asked me what my ethnicity was I'd punch them in the face" to "it is lucid and irrelevant in most situations". You're laughably naive regarding this issue, and the concept of social constructs.

Though, it's fun to get attention by attempting to detract from peoples appreciation of an historical event! Yay!

On topic, it was pretty amazing. I admit that the day he got elected meant more for me, just in terms of a sense of relief and fulfillment, but this was pretty sweet too.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 03:32:30 AM »

This was significant:

What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world...

Finally.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:14 AM »

agreed.... at last a US president in recent times who recognises that the rest of the worls is not just there for their convenience
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Mandolin Rain

• Psycho Adventure Barbie
  • Midwestern Manders.
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »

I didn't get to catch the actual inauguration, which saddened me. I had my alarm set and everything. Working third shift really messes up my body. However, by the time I was awake and alert, Mr. President and Mrs. Obama were making their way down Pennsylvania Avenue. It made me so happy to hear how excited all of the people were who they were walking past. The news anchors who were commentating on the parade said that the Bushes didn't feel like they fit in around Washington. They said they weren't there to make friends, and they certainly didn't. Apparently, it was better to do an interview with Dubya when he was in his own element (way down in Austin, Texas.)

Barack and Michelle have already become active in the Washington D.C. community, and as former community organizers in Chicago, I think they'll be not only an amazing influence on the country itself, but will make our capital shine like a jewel, the way that it's suppossed to be.

I'm so thouroughly impressed with everything about the inauguration itself, and can't wait to see all of the amazing things he will do as President of the United States.
Quote from: Marilyn Monroe
Beneath the makeup and the smile, I'm just a girl who wishes for the world

Haushinka

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »

I believe we've all had this argument before- MrAndy was pretty much a one man minority and everyone else professed their love and appreciation for their heritage.

This was significant:

What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world...

Finally.

That was for me, the most important part. Change is a-coming, I feel it in me waters.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

"People who base their claims to social rights on the basis of a group identity will not appreciate being told that that identity is just a social construct" - Steven Epstein

Race is a social construct as it is not something tangible. It is also subjective in that each person who believes in it has a different interpretation of it. It is also meaningless in that it is not a rigid classification or a barrier. This doesn't mean you can't be proud of it. My point is merely that it is lucid and irrelevant in most situations. But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself. This is counter-productive to a functioning society in which each individual has the freedom to act like, be and do whatever they want. It actually creates rigid social constructs and oppressive sterotypes. When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

Alright, I don't know what that quote had to do with anything you said. I don't think you really read the quote right, because it seems the man is trying to say those who think they deserve things because of their group identity don't understand that identity is just something made of by society. I mean I guess you were just using the last part of that quote to tie in to your little paragraph there, but there is no talk of rights here >.<

Anyway, I just wanna give a triple tongue click, and say ethnicity is a big part of who everyone is. It's part of understanding history and who you came from. If I were kin of Martin Luther King, I would not think that is irrelevant. If I were a Native American , I wouldn't think that is irrelevant either. Just because race is subjective, doesn't mean it's without value. It's just like when people hold on to certain things of sentimental value. Just because that rock doesn't hold meaning to me, it could be very important to the person it belongs to. Being proud of your heritage isn't counterproductive, it goes to show that everyone truly is different, and it opens people's mind. Just a quick question though, do you expect everyone to find one common ground though, and live by that, turning us all into the same people? Do you think that everyone should celebrate Christmas instead of Hanukkah or Ramadan? I just don't get what you are saying.

Race is social construct, subjective, meaningless, lucid and irrlevant. Those are a lot of words, and you just are pretty much trying to prove your point because you say no one sees it as the same thing. "But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself." Well maybe the reason "one" handles their heritage and heritage itself differently is because they've all taken something different from it.

"Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept."
What concept? Your concept? I hope your not saying conflict starts because people don't think like you, and care about being different, and care about what they've come from, and care to know what happened in history and what part of history they've come from. I think you might have race problems, where you have a hard time understanding it. Do people who are proud of what they have come from bother you?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »

Mmmmm.  Concur'd, Missus Rats.  You stated that better than I wanted to.

The Princess of Denial

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »

Well, all race issues aside, I'm just happy that we have a president who's giving people a reason to have an optimistic attitude about where this country is headed.  It's quite a welcome change. 

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »

Well, all race issues aside, I'm just happy that we have a president who's giving people a reason to have an optimistic attitude about where this country is headed.  It's quite a welcome change. 

Can't disagree with that.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »

Missus Rats.

:buck2:

I have a penis.

What's that got to do with anything?  I've got a penis, too.  It's big, blue, and the vibe on it doesn't work anymore.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »

They let him do-over! Nice. :coolsmiley:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/obama-takes-presidential-oath-again.html

apparently it wasn't strictly legally neccessary, but they did it again "just to be on the safe side".

But, in my opinion, taking the oath of office TWICE in as many days means you get to be Double President or something. Either he's now like Super Pres, Obama 2.0.. or he automatically gets two terms in office. It's only fair.

Andy Pants

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »

'What you need to understand is that we all have different interpretations of these words' - Bob Dylan

You realise that none of you actually disagree with me right? It's just a matter of optimism versus pessimim. If everyones geneaology is meaningful then everyones geneaology is meaningless. If everyone is special then no-one is special. If everyone is equal then no-one is special. None of your arguments have anything to do with anything I've actually said, but with ideas in your own minds. I don't appreciate your condecension and I don't appreciate your suggestion that I am not proud of my heritage. I am just not under the imprssion that my heriatge makes me any better than anyone else. I understand that ethnicity is a 'big part of who everyone is'. Without my ethnicity I wouldn't be here. The same can be said of anyone. But I believe that if my heritage were any different I should care about it exactly as much. And I happen to be aware of the fact that what really matters isn't my scientific family tree, but the ideas which are associated with it. These ideas express themselves in the form of ideaaologies. And ideaologies are social constructs. And group idealogies have a tendency to produce a vast amount of meanings and interpretations. Their signs and symbols become free-associated and there can be as many interpretations as there are individuals. This is the nature of the post-modern society in which we live. Just because you share the same symbol as someone else, doesn't mean you associate the same ideas with it. Prove me wrong.

*tongue click*

I didn't say you should to do anything precious. Classifications of sexuality are also a social construct, nobody has to get over those.

What offends you so much about my personal perpective that your race is a lucid ideaology as oposed to a rigid caste?

Please, I dare you, tell me what this general meaning of race is that you have and everybody else shares.

If you are suggesting that everyone has the same classifications that you do and associates them with the same ideas that you do then you are being naive, ignorant, arrogant and narrow-minded. And this is something you actually 'should get over'.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »

You can talk about race being a social construct all you want, but that doesn't mean the crazy guy down the hallway is going to think the same way. That's, in my opinion, the problem here. Of course everyone has their own ideas of what their heritage and other people's heritages mean... and sometimes those ideas make this world a very dangerous place, depending on where you're walking and who you're with, and just HOW crazy the guy down the hallway is. No one can force you to have an opinion, but you have to understand that your opinion, when not as properly detailed as you've just posted, can be viewed as very, very offensive, and you have to expect people to react this way.

And no, they don't agree with you. Not at all. You're stretching things waaaay past their limit.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »

If we're all homo sapien, than it's not special to be a walking talking advanced species. But we are special because we're different than the other species that inhabit Earth, just like every one person is unique because we all come from something different. It has to do with the whole civilization, making choices, and being intelligent thing.

And just for future reference, starting off something with a quote does not add credibility, especially when you don't know if that person you're using to represent your thought agrees with you or not. You sound way too hung up on free association and post modern society.

"Just because you share the same symbol as someone else, doesn't mean you associate the same ideas with it. Prove me wrong."

I really really really really don't know why you said that. Why are you saying, and what are you trying to prove by saying it? You started this little exchange of ideas saying race is a social construct, and it seems you're just saying since people see something a different way it's irrelevant. So with that logic everything in the world is meaningless. I don't think people should hunt for leisure, but the person next to me might love it. Does that make hunting irrelevant? Then you go on talking in circles, and once again end with free association and post modern society. You're not being clear, and it almost, just kind of sounds like you're beating around some bush. Yes I agree people don't have a common idea of race, because there cannot be one, just like there cannot be one about anything certain thing. So is everything social construct and irrelevant?

Kovacs

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »

just kind of sounds like you're beating around some bush.

Ding ding ding!

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 02:27:51 AM »

*whine*

I prefer a good triple cream brie or pecorino cheese with mine.  Really, I'm not going to even give you the proper response by even reading most of what you've said.  Why?

If you are suggesting that everyone has the same classifications that you do and associates them with the same ideas that you do...

*see avatar as response*

Andy Pants

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »

If we're all homo sapien, than it's not special to be a walking talking advanced species. But we are special because we're different than the other species that inhabit Earth, just like every one person is unique because we all come from something different. It has to do with the whole civilization, making choices, and being intelligent thing.

And just for future reference, starting off something with a quote does not add credibility, especially when you don't know if that person you're using to represent your thought agrees with you or not. You sound way too hung up on free association and post modern society.

"Just because you share the same symbol as someone else, doesn't mean you associate the same ideas with it. Prove me wrong."

I really really really really don't know why you said that. Why are you saying, and what are you trying to prove by saying it? You started this little exchange of ideas saying race is a social construct, and it seems you're just saying since people see something a different way it's irrelevant. So with that logic everything in the world is meaningless. I don't think people should hunt for leisure, but the person next to me might love it. Does that make hunting irrelevant? Then you go on talking in circles, and once again end with free association and post modern society. You're not being clear, and it almost, just kind of sounds like you're beating around some bush. Yes I agree people don't have a common idea of race, because there cannot be one, just like there cannot be one about anything certain thing. So is everything social construct and irrelevant?

Thanks for that speech on how everyone is a bundle of specialness, playschool.

You can't blame me for you failure to understand what I am talking about when you aren't being clear either. You keep saying you disagree with me. But I would like to know why you disagree with me. Why should it be so thoroughly offensive an idea that race is a social construct? I can tell you what I think is the answer. It's the quote in my first post.

I understand there are people who don't think that race is a social construct, but none of you is yet to explain why. As for your other comments I think only a weak mind criticises someones technique of argument as oposed to their actual arguments. But you have no argument at all. If your tryting to convince me I'm wrong then you're going about it in completely the wrong way.

Andy Pants

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 06:42:42 AM »

*whine*

I prefer a good triple cream brie or pecorino cheese with mine.  Really, I'm not going to even give you the proper response by even reading most of what you've said.  Why?

If you are suggesting that everyone has the same classifications that you do and associates them with the same ideas that you do...

*see avatar as response*

Cynicism is so cool.

What is it that you disagree with? That it's subjective, which you seem to admit it is, or that it's meaningless which in my definition means irrelevant or without signifigant consequence?

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »

I must say that I am quite impressed with most of President Obama's first day Decrees.

I honestly hope that he can make those lobbyist regulations stick.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »

Thanks for that speech on how everyone is a bundle of specialness, playschool.

You can't blame me for you failure to understand what I am talking about when you aren't being clear either. You keep saying you disagree with me. But I would like to know why you disagree with me. Why should it be so thoroughly offensive an idea that race is a social construct? I can tell you what I think is the answer. It's the quote in my first post.

I understand there are people who don't think that race is a social construct, but none of you is yet to explain why. As for your other comments I think only a weak mind criticises someones technique of argument as oposed to their actual arguments. But you have no argument at all. If your tryting to convince me I'm wrong then you're going about it in completely the wrong way.

I feel like I'm arguing with Ann Coulter. I've been quite clear, and already commented on the quote in your first post.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

:happy1:

#@!

Kovacs

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »

Andy: You're missing our point. No one disagrees with you that the concept of race is a social construct. Where you are almost certainly wrong is saying that the construct is meaningless, except to you personally.

Social constructs: Friendship, our monetary system, love, family, morality, etc etc etc. Those exist, and have meaning. All social constructs do. Do they have inherant meaning? Not really. But that's why they're social constructs, the people give them meaning. You can see the effects, even if the construct doesn't physically exist, and is a sort of mass-agreement. Which means the construct can be changed, or vary from society to society, person to person. Essentially what you've said in previous posts.

The reason you're beating around your own massive bush is, what's your point? You don't have one, aside from the fact that you think race is meaningless. To you. That's great, but it's not some vast theory thats going over all our heads.

And, by the way, if you're startled at the animosity, look at the thread you're in. That's where it's coming from. You're acting like an idiot, and making a fool of yourself. If there was a thread where Prop 8 got overturned, would you be in there spouting "That's great, but sexuality is meaningless since it's a social construct"? There would be no point to a statement like that there, and there isn't one here, except you making an ass of yourself.

Haushinka

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

Andy Pants.
Race is relevant. Race is important.
Let me tell you why. I know you won't agree.
You are saying that race doesn't make anybody beytter than anyone? Yes it fucking does.
Come to Scotland and speak about the english- they were once above us and now we are all resentful for it.
Go to the USA. African Americans have long suffered shorter odds than white americans. There are so many statistics to back this up, I'm not bringing that up here. it has take nuntil now for a black man to be president in the USA.
This brings everyone a little closer to your ideal of all race being equal, but it still isn't.

It is futile to argue against this fact as this is always going to happen. We have lives withing our racial groups for thousands of years, and it has never ever ever been equal, and no pissing and moaning from you about how we are allthe same will change that.

I'm Scottish, I'm proud, and because of that a part of me resents the English and another loves the French. Nothing will ever change that ever.

If I were to come over there and opress your racial group, would that make it all more relevant to you?
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »

Cynicism is so cool.

Firstly, your questions have been answered by others, so I'm not going to cycle back through them myself.  Secondly, maybe if you'd stop trying to present your argument like a condescending kid still in 11th grade, I wouldn't blow off most of your diatribe.  Three, it was sarcasm.

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »

Murflufles...Bitches!
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Ashleetalks_toastronauts

• Amandaaaa.
    • Typical.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »

I could not stop laughing when the one pastor/church guy said "When black will not be asked to get back".

I think it was because I didn't expect funny things like that to come out of such an old little guy.
There's no end to the love you can give when you change your point of view.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »

I could not stop laughing when the one pastor/church guy said "When black will not be asked to get back".

I think it was because I didn't expect funny things like that to come out of such an old little guy.

I loved his speech so much, and that little kick of humor was such an awesome cherry on top.

Ashleetalks_toastronauts

• Amandaaaa.
    • Typical.
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »

It really was.
The whole thing was so serious, and then he just busts out with all these funny random comments.
"When white will do what's right". Ahahahaa.
There's no end to the love you can give when you change your point of view.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »

Murrfloofles...Bitches!

That restated...

Quote from: Ashleetalks_toastronauts
"When black will not be asked to get back".

When brown can stick around.
When yella' will be mella'
When red can get ahead...
When orange...

xxMonicaxx

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »

Awh I agree about the Reverend's speech. It was so cute. And yeah, I think it was more because it was a frail old man rhyming about a serious topic.. Beautiful :)

Edited because I just searched the speech on Google and it came up with loads of pages where people have ranted about this speech/prayer and are appauled by it... Anyone else come across these? I think people need to relax and have a giggle!

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

The only problem I have with it is the double standard.  Had those same words come out of the mouth of a cracker, he'd have been run out of town on a rail.

I giggled myself.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Haushinka

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »

The only problem I have with it is the double standard.  Had those same words come out of the mouth of a cracker, he'd have been run out of town on a rail.

I giggled myself.

Cracker?
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »

I giggled myself.

Really, I think everybody went kinda....wtf?...regardless of double standard or not  Black, brown, red, yella, and peckerwood alike.  I won't give you the benefit of the cracker.

Also, if I hear "If a white guy had said that!" one more time, I'm going to go million man march on some honky's ass.

Haushinka

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »

I giggled myself.

Really, and think everybody went kinda....wtf?  Black, brown, red, yella, and peckerwood alike.  I won't give you the benefit of the cracker.

Does that mean that white folk are crackers?
Am I a cracker??
I feel so behind.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Musings

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »

You're a cracker, I'm a hijacker.  Now you're all caught up.

Edit: Why do I feel oddly like I could write "Dr. Seuss for Racists" books?  Not that wouldn't be fun and profitable...
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

You're a cracker, I'm a hijacker.  Now you're all caught up.

Edit: Why do I feel oddly like I could write "Dr. Seuss for Racists" books?  Not that wouldn't be fun and profitable...

Dooooo eeeeeeet!

And no, you're a peckerwood.  You're not a cracka.  I won't give whitey the benefit of the cracka.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

Does anyone say "ofay" anymore?  :embarassed:

And Ms. Haushinka, only one clan of Scots get to use that particular term.
We call them Graham Crackers....    :)

And finally, I'm appalled by bad spelling....  but we all knew that.   :-X

Haushinka

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2009, 05:13:26 AM »

you're a peckerwood. 

Sounds dirty.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Andy Pants

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 07:34:26 AM »

Alright, I don't know what that quote had to do with anything you said. I don't think you really read the quote right, because it seems the man is trying to say those who think they deserve things because of their group identity don't understand that identity is just something made of by society. I mean I guess you were just using the last part of that quote to tie in to your little paragraph there, but there is no talk of rights here >.<

Anyway, I just wanna give a triple tongue click, and say ethnicity is a big part of who everyone is. It's part of understanding history and who you came from. If I were kin of Martin Luther King, I would not think that is irrelevant. If I were a Native American , I wouldn't think that is irrelevant either. Just because race is subjective, doesn't mean it's without value. It's just like when people hold on to certain things of sentimental value. Just because that rock doesn't hold meaning to me, it could be very important to the person it belongs to. Being proud of your heritage isn't counterproductive, it goes to show that everyone truly is different, and it opens people's mind. Just a quick question though, do you expect everyone to find one common ground though, and live by that, turning us all into the same people? Do you think that everyone should celebrate Christmas instead of Hanukkah or Ramadan? I just don't get what you are saying.

Race is social construct, subjective, meaningless, lucid and irrlevant. Those are a lot of words, and you just are pretty much trying to prove your point because you say no one sees it as the same thing. "But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself." Well maybe the reason "one" handles their heritage and heritage itself differently is because they've all taken something different from it.

"Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept."
What concept? Your concept? I hope your not saying conflict starts because people don't think like you, and care about being different, and care about what they've come from, and care to know what happened in history and what part of history they've come from. I think you might have race problems, where you have a hard time understanding it. Do people who are proud of what they have come from bother you?

I have gone back and read your post and and still don't see where you outline exactly how the concept of race is meaningful in any way.

Firstly, I don't need to belong to a racial category in order to have an understanding of history. I can read a fucking book. And race and heritage are different words for a reason. They are not synonyms, they are in fact two different things.

Secondly, just because it's valued by someone doesn't mean it should be valuable to everyone. If you identified yourself as one of the racial categories you mentioned you would probably think it was meaningful, because that's the way that you would have been conditioned to think about it by society. And because fights for social rights are organised under group identities. In which each individual always has a completely different set of goals. But all people think they want the same thing. It is therefore an arbitrary and meaningless construct in my opinion. This is the same phenomenon that Bob Dylan identified in the liberal movement of the 1960s in case you were really stupid enough to misunderstand the quote in my second post. The whole 'it's important because people think it's important' argument is just rediculous.

I generally value individual identity over group identity. And no, group identity is not a facet of individual identity. Only the individual ideas that people falsely associate with those groups are. I also think the only group identities that that are true and therefore worth acknowledging are those with established ideaologies. Or at least those that acknowledge parameters for diversion from established ideaologies. This is why race is flawed as a social categorisation and therefore irrelevant in all circumstances in which individuals in the supposed group do not share a common goal. And usually in these circumstances the particular people sharing the goal do not fit into common understandings of racial categorisations. And they demand re-evaluation by those with preconceived notions of race. So I don't see viewing race as meaningless social construct as a particularly flawed starting point. In fact I think it's the better of those two alternatives.

Thirdly, I never said I expected anything of anyone. I just sated a personal opinion. Which everyone is getting pissy about. I don't care what meaningless masks you choose to adopt. Whatever gives you something to pass the time. You seem to admit yourself that its only meaningful because people believe it is. That is my only point.

As for your last paragraph I have never heard anyone be so retarded. Try to read this nice and slowly. The concept which people fail to understand is the one I am talking about. Race is subjective. It is a social construct.

This is what it must feel like to be a primary school teacher.

You suggest that you don't think it's meaningless just because its a social construct, I diagree completely. Many social constructs are meaningless. And categories of identity particularly so.

You also suggest, although it isn't clearly stated, that it is important because it makes everyone different. As if people can be grouped into categories of like-difference. Please tell me what these differences are that all people of particular races share. I'd really like to know.

Lastly I'd just like to point out that your disagreement is welcome but your disrepect and disapproval is completely unwelcome and unecessary.

Haushinka

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.
Nobody else agrees with you. That's your opinion and I have mine.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.

A beautifully constructed argument from Ms Shinka there.

Haushinka

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:30 AM »

There is no point in arguing. I am bull headed and he is pig headed.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »

And I'm blockheaded! HURRAH!

Kenny Wisdom

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.

What the Sweaty said.

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »

I doubt Mr. Pants is being serious, as he said he loves attention.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »

I have gone back and read your post and and still don't see where you outline exactly how the concept of race is meaningful in any way.

Firstly, I don't need to belong to a racial category in order to have an understanding of history. I can read a fucking book. And race and heritage are different words for a reason. They are not synonyms, they are in fact two different things.

Somebody without a race/ethinicity/background (one might say) has no heritage.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.  Merriam Webster defines heritage as,

Main Entry:
    her·i·tage Listen to the pronunciation of heritage
Pronunciation:
    \ˈher-ə-tij, ˈhe-rə-\
Function:
    noun
Etymology:
    Middle English, from Anglo-French, from heriter to inherit, from Late Latin hereditare, from Latin hered-, heres heir — more at heir
Date:
    13th century

1: property that descends to an heir2 a: something transmitted by or acquired from a predecessor : legacy , inheritance b: tradition3: something possessed as a result of one's natural situation or birth : birthright <the nation's heritage of tolerance>
2 a: something transmitted by or acquired from a predecessor : legacy  , inheritance b: tradition3: something possessed as a result of one's natural situation or birth : birthright <the nation's heritage of tolerance>

That means you INHERITED who you are, in a cultural/racial sense, from somebody else.  This is why I have no problem with those of European descent taking pride in their background.  So long as their not doing it because they think it's BETTER than somebody else's background.  *taps her temple*  S'called thinkin'. 

Secondly, just because it's valued by someone doesn't mean it should be valuable to everyone. If you identified yourself as one of the racial categories you mentioned you would probably think it was meaningful, because that's the way that you would have been conditioned to think about it by society. And because fights for social rights are organised under group identities. In which each individual always has a completely different set of goals. But all people think they want the same thing. It is therefore an arbitrary and meaningless construct in my opinion. This is the same phenomenon that Bob Dylan identified in the liberal movement of the 1960s in case you were really stupid enough to misunderstand the quote in my second post. The whole 'it's important because people think it's important' argument is just rediculous.

One, yes, it is your opinion.  It is not your tried and true fact.  If you identified yourself with a group, doesn't mean (get this) that's the only group you will EVER identify with.  You can be in a circle for one thing, and in several different circles, while understanding, acknowledging, and identifying with each other.  The ability doesn't make it meaningless.  Actually, it makes you a person open to interpretation.  Understand this, Andy, there will always be different cultures, races, and ethnicities.  They aren't going anywhere, as those things have lasted for centuries.  No, you don't have to perfectly be that which you were born into, but you also don't have to abandon it all together as if it's completely irrelevant.  Literally, history is made up of different cultures interacting, and causing either change or art.  You can consider race a social construct, and that's fine.  You can also take from your race what you like, not force yourself into the rest, and (get this) not force that down other people's throat.

Honestly, the whole reason nobody is agreeing with you right now?  You're aggressively trying to force your opinions on others, and calling them stupid for not agreeing with you.  Ugh, nobody is going to even look at you twice that way.

I generally value individual identity over group identity. And no, group identity is not a facet of individual identity. Only the individual ideas that people falsely associate with those groups are. I also think the only group identities that that are true and therefore worth acknowledging are those with established ideaologies. Or at least those that acknowledge parameters for diversion from established ideaologies. This is why race is flawed as a social categorisation and therefore irrelevant in all circumstances in which individuals in the supposed group do not share a common goal. And usually in these circumstances the particular people sharing the goal do not fit into common understandings of racial categorisations. And they demand re-evaluation by those with preconceived notions of race. So I don't see viewing race as meaningless social construct as a particularly flawed starting point. In fact I think it's the better of those two alternatives.

Once again, stop trying to sell people the products of your own opinion.  People don't take kindly to being told their identity with their race is a flawed belief or idea.  What's flawed is how you manifest your identity that's the problem.  And yes, group identity is, in fact, a facet of individual identity.  Where you come from does, to a certain extent, make you who you are.  That's just the way social beings are. Actually, I found more articles about this whole "personal and social identity" theory, than your own.

I'm starting to realize something.  *laughs*  I'm starting to realize that Andy Pants may or may not hate something about himself.

Thirdly, I never said I expected anything of anyone. I just sated a personal opinion. Which everyone is getting pissy about. I don't care what meaningless masks you choose to adopt. Whatever gives you something to pass the time. You seem to admit yourself that its only meaningful because people believe it is. That is my only point.

People as opposed to...?  I'm people, and I myself admit it is meaningful.  Also, what fools we mere mortals be, amirite, Andy?

As for your last paragraph I have never heard anyone be so retarded. Try to read this nice and slowly. The concept which people fail to understand is the one I am talking about. Race is subjective. It is a social construct.

This is what it must feel like to be a primary school teacher.

Really, you should learn when to shut the fuck up while you're still on topic, and ahead.  Seriously, I'm calling you childish in your ranting, quite personally, because you are.  Childish =/= retarded or stupid.  So stop with the put downs.

Lastly I'd just like to point out that your disagreement is welcome but your disrepect and disapproval is completely unwelcome and unecessary.

You get what you give, Andy.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »

No, he obviously can't be serious with that frail, stale argument he's pedaling around.  That's why I don't mind replying to him.  Good entertainment until there's something else on the internet to do.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »

No, he obviously can't be serious with that frail, stale argument he's pedaling around.  That's why I don't mind replying to him.  Good entertainment until there's something else on the internet to do.

Maybe Mr. Pants is a bot a "fun bot" ... or maybe not.

Kovacs

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »

Very well thought out response Cadster. He'll probably ignore it, like he's been doing for most of the responses in this thread. Luckily, it only makes him look like more of a tool (saying that he's teaching grade schoolers is priceless), when we pointed out the problems with his argument a page or so ago.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »

Kovacs, that's your post number 672 do something creative.  :glasses9:

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »

Very well thought out response Cadster. He'll probably ignore it, like he's been doing for most of the responses in this thread. Luckily, it only makes him look like more of a tool (saying that he's teaching grade schoolers is priceless), when we pointed out the problems with his argument a page or so ago.

I'm expecting him to ignore it.  It'll reinforce the fact that he's the one behaving like a "primary school student".  Matter of fact, my friend Gabbi had to go in today, because her five-year-old threw his chair around the class yesterday, and then threatened the teacher.  I'm guessing Andy isn't too far off from threatening people...apparently again.

I'm sure if he just keeps repeating the same thing, that'll make it true.

Haushinka

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.

What the Sweaty said.

moi?
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.

What the Sweaty said.

moi?
She's not really, ya know.

I heard she's a wop...  or was it dago?  Oh well, half-yid anyway...

Haushinka

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.

What the Sweaty said.

moi?

I didn't realise that was a race term until WOP was mentioned.

Now, you take that back or my granny will be over ther beating you up with an NHS walking stick.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »

Ugh just UGH fuck off.

What the Sweaty said.

moi?

Mmmmm...half-yid.  I'm part kike!  =D

Kovacs

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
      :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 
   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 :) :) :D :D :) :) :D :D :) :)
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :)
 :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :) :) :)
     :) :) :) :D :D :) :) :)

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »

OH GOD.

*shields self*  He said creative, not creeeeepy.  Too much happy...all in one place.

Kenny Wisdom

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

My favourite Obama joke is the one that went:

They said, Barack Obama, so we all shouted at him...

Greg Nova wrote:

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 
   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :)
 :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :) :) :)
     :) :) :) :D :D :) :) :)

LOLZ!!!

That would make some people go really really mad or really really happy.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »

{waves at sweaty}

My favourite Obama joke is:

The CIA are training Barack Obama up in case of any assasination attempts, but every time they say "Get down" the twat starts dancing.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

The Secret Service are training Barack Obama up in case of any assasination attempts, but every time they say "Get down" the twat starts dancing.
Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]
Before the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in 1865, the President had no specific security detail...
(Keep in mind that this was at the end of four years of war with the people a hundred miles south
of Washington DC...)  The Federal law-enforcement at the time was very limited, but the Secret
Service was assigned the job.  Otherwise, the Secret Service is responsible primarily for tracking
down counterfieters who make fake US currency (a job which occupies far more of their time and
resources than keeping the Prez safe.) [/boring history note... for now]

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

The Secret Service are training Barack Obama up in case of any assasination attempts, but every time they say "Get down" the twat starts dancing.
Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]
Before the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in 1865, the President had no specific security detail...
(Keep in mind that this was at the end of four years of war with the people a hundred miles south
of Washington DC...)  The Federal law-enforcement at the time was very limited, but the Secret
Service was assigned the job.  Otherwise, the Secret Service is responsible primarily for tracking
down counterfieters who make fake US currency (a job which occupies far more of their time and

One day, I hope you wake up to find the Boring Node in your brain's been snipped out. Love you Ceeeee!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]

One day, I hope you wake up to find the Boring Node in your brain's been snipped out. Love you Ceeeee!
It's the heart of who I am...  able to dredge up a vaguely-relevant factiod for every occasion...

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]

It's the heart of who I am...  able to dredge up a vaguely-relevant factiod for every occasion...

Can I have one for my birthday? It's 3rd July, so you've got plenty of time to find a really fucking good one.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »

{waves at sweaty}

Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]

Can I have one for my birthday? It's 3rd July, so you've got plenty of time to find a really fucking good one.
Consider it done.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »

{waves at sweaty}

Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]

Consider it done.

Aces - what should I get you?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]

Consider it done.

Aww, you don't need to get me nuffink.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »

{waves at sweaty}

Funny...  and fixed.

[boring history note]

Consider it done.

Aww, you don't need to get me nuffink.

But I want to! You're The Cee, Oracle and Big Ol' Know-It-All, you gotta get something.

Haushinka

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

Barack Obama.
I'm so so so happy that this man is the president of the USA. Yes, I see colour, but I couldn't care less that he is black. America, who seemed so unwilling to do so, have elected a left wing peace flag flying hippie. I have seen first hand the damage that this war, this greed and this hatred has done to the middle east, in particular Afghanistan. I have lost a family member in this illegal war. I have visited refugee camps in Iran and seen the orphans of this war. I have protested at 5am against dawn raids on Iraqi asylum seekers in the worst parts of Glasgow. I've cried in frustration. I've marched in Edinburgh in extreme sick enducing heat (seriously) at the G8 make poverty history marches- against Bush's presence in Scotland- where I was involved in mass arrests and beatings. These last 7 years have been hell on my conscience, I've thought every day about all the poor people who have been caught up in this mess  and left without homes, without mothers and fathers, without hope.

And today I walked into a pub full of people I don't know who were crying and laughing and kissing and hugging because Barack Obama represents a huge change. And I joined in.

And I'm crying as I type this. I'm so proud of everyone who voted. Barack Obama represents absolutely everything I wanted. And more. I am so happy someone has stepped up to the mark and has made clear their beautiful intentions and seems to have all the motivation and power to carry them out.

God Bless America. Today you have made me happy.

A HA HA HA

HA

HAHA

how stupid of me and everyone else!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »

I'm sorry you (and everyone else) are disappointed, but glad the aliens decided
to bring you back from wherever they'd abducted you to.

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »

I didn't watch either of Obama's inaugurations since I've always thought that while he may be the lesser of two evils he's still ridiculously overhyped, but this article was interesting:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/blogs/voyages-in-america/8209909/Obamas-empty-words

Did anyone from here watch it? What did you guys think?
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 [All]   Go Up