THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The inauguration of Barack Obama.  (Read 19615 times)

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
Re: The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »

I see race but I see it as both subjective and meaningless.

Andy, sometimes I love you, you are intelligent and thoughtful.
But seriously, History defies you on this one. YOU have to appreciate how important it is that a black man is president of the USA. it's not a fact that can be ignored- this man has made history against the odds.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »

Andy, sometimes I love you, you are intelligent and thoughtful.
But seriously, History defies you on this one. YOU have to appreciate how important it is that a black man is president of the USA. it's not a fact that can be ignored- this man has made history against the odds.

I'm not ignoring it. It's a signifigant event. It means the Western world is stepping a little further away from it's rigid segregation. And a lot more people might start seeing these completely subjective differences as not necessarilly being any reason for exclusion.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »

I don't.  I'm proud of my race and heritage.  I don't even care if those with a European background are proud of their race/ethnicity and heritage.  How can you expect others to accept and understand your culture, if you see your own as "meaningless and subjective"?  It's silly to avoid race, because various races have so much to offer the whole.

The Princess of Denial

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »

Of course the fact that he's the first black president is a big deal.  I agree, however, with the assertion that race is subjective and meaningless.  The big deal lies in the fact that many people don't see it that way, but now it seems as if race is beginning to become less important.  What's important here is that Obama has given people HOPE.

I had to work with a bunch of conservatives today who refused to even watch the inauguration.  These people need to realize that, whether they voted for Obama or not, he's the president now, and they need to stand behind him and have some faith in our country, damnit!

Sorry, I'm rambling.  I'm a little delirious.

The Princess of Denial

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

Oh, and yes, by all means, have pride in your heritage, but don't judge someone based on theirs.  Judge based on character, and actions...I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that was the point that was being made.

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »

"People who base their claims to social rights on the basis of a group identity will not appreciate being told that that identity is just a social construct" - Steven Epstein

Race is a social construct as it is not something tangible. It is also subjective in that each person who believes in it has a different interpretation of it. It is also meaningless in that it is not a rigid classification or a barrier. This doesn't mean you can't be proud of it. My point is merely that it is lucid and irrelevant in most situations. But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself. This is counter-productive to a functioning society in which each individual has the freedom to act like, be and do whatever they want. It actually creates rigid social constructs and oppressive sterotypes. When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »

When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

*tongue click*

I would love to spend my long days living in your world.  Must be padded.  *sighs*  It would be nice to say that race is just this social construct we should get over.  Unfortunately, that's not always how the world works.

Kovacs

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 03:10:33 AM »

When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

*tongue click*

I would love to spend my long days living in your world.  Must be padded.  *sighs*  It would be nice to say that race is just this social construct we should get over.  Unfortunately, that's not always how the world works.

I agree with Caddy, and double the tongue click.

http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=5308.30

Andy: Hilarious that you'd go from "if someone asked me what my ethnicity was I'd punch them in the face" to "it is lucid and irrelevant in most situations". You're laughably naive regarding this issue, and the concept of social constructs.

Though, it's fun to get attention by attempting to detract from peoples appreciation of an historical event! Yay!

On topic, it was pretty amazing. I admit that the day he got elected meant more for me, just in terms of a sense of relief and fulfillment, but this was pretty sweet too.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 03:32:30 AM »

This was significant:

What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world...

Finally.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:14 AM »

agreed.... at last a US president in recent times who recognises that the rest of the worls is not just there for their convenience
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Mandolin Rain

• Psycho Adventure Barbie
  • Midwestern Manders.
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »

I didn't get to catch the actual inauguration, which saddened me. I had my alarm set and everything. Working third shift really messes up my body. However, by the time I was awake and alert, Mr. President and Mrs. Obama were making their way down Pennsylvania Avenue. It made me so happy to hear how excited all of the people were who they were walking past. The news anchors who were commentating on the parade said that the Bushes didn't feel like they fit in around Washington. They said they weren't there to make friends, and they certainly didn't. Apparently, it was better to do an interview with Dubya when he was in his own element (way down in Austin, Texas.)

Barack and Michelle have already become active in the Washington D.C. community, and as former community organizers in Chicago, I think they'll be not only an amazing influence on the country itself, but will make our capital shine like a jewel, the way that it's suppossed to be.

I'm so thouroughly impressed with everything about the inauguration itself, and can't wait to see all of the amazing things he will do as President of the United States.
Quote from: Marilyn Monroe
Beneath the makeup and the smile, I'm just a girl who wishes for the world

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »

I believe we've all had this argument before- MrAndy was pretty much a one man minority and everyone else professed their love and appreciation for their heritage.

This was significant:

What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world...

Finally.

That was for me, the most important part. Change is a-coming, I feel it in me waters.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

"People who base their claims to social rights on the basis of a group identity will not appreciate being told that that identity is just a social construct" - Steven Epstein

Race is a social construct as it is not something tangible. It is also subjective in that each person who believes in it has a different interpretation of it. It is also meaningless in that it is not a rigid classification or a barrier. This doesn't mean you can't be proud of it. My point is merely that it is lucid and irrelevant in most situations. But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself. This is counter-productive to a functioning society in which each individual has the freedom to act like, be and do whatever they want. It actually creates rigid social constructs and oppressive sterotypes. When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

Alright, I don't know what that quote had to do with anything you said. I don't think you really read the quote right, because it seems the man is trying to say those who think they deserve things because of their group identity don't understand that identity is just something made of by society. I mean I guess you were just using the last part of that quote to tie in to your little paragraph there, but there is no talk of rights here >.<

Anyway, I just wanna give a triple tongue click, and say ethnicity is a big part of who everyone is. It's part of understanding history and who you came from. If I were kin of Martin Luther King, I would not think that is irrelevant. If I were a Native American , I wouldn't think that is irrelevant either. Just because race is subjective, doesn't mean it's without value. It's just like when people hold on to certain things of sentimental value. Just because that rock doesn't hold meaning to me, it could be very important to the person it belongs to. Being proud of your heritage isn't counterproductive, it goes to show that everyone truly is different, and it opens people's mind. Just a quick question though, do you expect everyone to find one common ground though, and live by that, turning us all into the same people? Do you think that everyone should celebrate Christmas instead of Hanukkah or Ramadan? I just don't get what you are saying.

Race is social construct, subjective, meaningless, lucid and irrlevant. Those are a lot of words, and you just are pretty much trying to prove your point because you say no one sees it as the same thing. "But like most post-modern symbols the characteristics one associates with it are often confused with the symbol itself." Well maybe the reason "one" handles their heritage and heritage itself differently is because they've all taken something different from it.

"Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept."
What concept? Your concept? I hope your not saying conflict starts because people don't think like you, and care about being different, and care about what they've come from, and care to know what happened in history and what part of history they've come from. I think you might have race problems, where you have a hard time understanding it. Do people who are proud of what they have come from bother you?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »

Mmmmm.  Concur'd, Missus Rats.  You stated that better than I wanted to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up