THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The inauguration of Barack Obama.  (Read 19613 times)

The Princess of Denial

Re: The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »

Well, all race issues aside, I'm just happy that we have a president who's giving people a reason to have an optimistic attitude about where this country is headed.  It's quite a welcome change. 

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »

Well, all race issues aside, I'm just happy that we have a president who's giving people a reason to have an optimistic attitude about where this country is headed.  It's quite a welcome change. 

Can't disagree with that.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »

Missus Rats.

:buck2:

I have a penis.

What's that got to do with anything?  I've got a penis, too.  It's big, blue, and the vibe on it doesn't work anymore.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »

They let him do-over! Nice. :coolsmiley:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/obama-takes-presidential-oath-again.html

apparently it wasn't strictly legally neccessary, but they did it again "just to be on the safe side".

But, in my opinion, taking the oath of office TWICE in as many days means you get to be Double President or something. Either he's now like Super Pres, Obama 2.0.. or he automatically gets two terms in office. It's only fair.

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »

'What you need to understand is that we all have different interpretations of these words' - Bob Dylan

You realise that none of you actually disagree with me right? It's just a matter of optimism versus pessimim. If everyones geneaology is meaningful then everyones geneaology is meaningless. If everyone is special then no-one is special. If everyone is equal then no-one is special. None of your arguments have anything to do with anything I've actually said, but with ideas in your own minds. I don't appreciate your condecension and I don't appreciate your suggestion that I am not proud of my heritage. I am just not under the imprssion that my heriatge makes me any better than anyone else. I understand that ethnicity is a 'big part of who everyone is'. Without my ethnicity I wouldn't be here. The same can be said of anyone. But I believe that if my heritage were any different I should care about it exactly as much. And I happen to be aware of the fact that what really matters isn't my scientific family tree, but the ideas which are associated with it. These ideas express themselves in the form of ideaaologies. And ideaologies are social constructs. And group idealogies have a tendency to produce a vast amount of meanings and interpretations. Their signs and symbols become free-associated and there can be as many interpretations as there are individuals. This is the nature of the post-modern society in which we live. Just because you share the same symbol as someone else, doesn't mean you associate the same ideas with it. Prove me wrong.

When I say it is meaningless what I mean is that its meaning is intangible and could mean anything depending on the individual. It is now a free associated symbol. Most conflict over the issue of race emerges from people failing to understand this concept. And assuming others think of it the same way they do.

*tongue click*

I would love to spend my long days living in your world.  Must be padded.  *sighs*  It would be nice to say that race is just this social construct we should get over.  Unfortunately, that's not always how the world works.

I didn't say you should to do anything precious. Classifications of sexuality are also a social construct, nobody has to get over those.

What offends you so much about my personal perpective that your race is a lucid ideaology as oposed to a rigid caste?

Please, I dare you, tell me what this general meaning of race is that you have and everybody else shares.

If you are suggesting that everyone has the same classifications that you do and associates them with the same ideas that you do then you are being naive, ignorant, arrogant and narrow-minded. And this is something you actually 'should get over'.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »

You can talk about race being a social construct all you want, but that doesn't mean the crazy guy down the hallway is going to think the same way. That's, in my opinion, the problem here. Of course everyone has their own ideas of what their heritage and other people's heritages mean... and sometimes those ideas make this world a very dangerous place, depending on where you're walking and who you're with, and just HOW crazy the guy down the hallway is. No one can force you to have an opinion, but you have to understand that your opinion, when not as properly detailed as you've just posted, can be viewed as very, very offensive, and you have to expect people to react this way.

And no, they don't agree with you. Not at all. You're stretching things waaaay past their limit.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »

If we're all homo sapien, than it's not special to be a walking talking advanced species. But we are special because we're different than the other species that inhabit Earth, just like every one person is unique because we all come from something different. It has to do with the whole civilization, making choices, and being intelligent thing.

And just for future reference, starting off something with a quote does not add credibility, especially when you don't know if that person you're using to represent your thought agrees with you or not. You sound way too hung up on free association and post modern society.

"Just because you share the same symbol as someone else, doesn't mean you associate the same ideas with it. Prove me wrong."

I really really really really don't know why you said that. Why are you saying, and what are you trying to prove by saying it? You started this little exchange of ideas saying race is a social construct, and it seems you're just saying since people see something a different way it's irrelevant. So with that logic everything in the world is meaningless. I don't think people should hunt for leisure, but the person next to me might love it. Does that make hunting irrelevant? Then you go on talking in circles, and once again end with free association and post modern society. You're not being clear, and it almost, just kind of sounds like you're beating around some bush. Yes I agree people don't have a common idea of race, because there cannot be one, just like there cannot be one about anything certain thing. So is everything social construct and irrelevant?

Kovacs

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »

just kind of sounds like you're beating around some bush.

Ding ding ding!

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 02:27:51 AM »

*whine*

I prefer a good triple cream brie or pecorino cheese with mine.  Really, I'm not going to even give you the proper response by even reading most of what you've said.  Why?

If you are suggesting that everyone has the same classifications that you do and associates them with the same ideas that you do...

*see avatar as response*

Andy Pants

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »

If we're all homo sapien, than it's not special to be a walking talking advanced species. But we are special because we're different than the other species that inhabit Earth, just like every one person is unique because we all come from something different. It has to do with the whole civilization, making choices, and being intelligent thing.

And just for future reference, starting off something with a quote does not add credibility, especially when you don't know if that person you're using to represent your thought agrees with you or not. You sound way too hung up on free association and post modern society.

"Just because you share the same symbol as someone else, doesn't mean you associate the same ideas with it. Prove me wrong."

I really really really really don't know why you said that. Why are you saying, and what are you trying to prove by saying it? You started this little exchange of ideas saying race is a social construct, and it seems you're just saying since people see something a different way it's irrelevant. So with that logic everything in the world is meaningless. I don't think people should hunt for leisure, but the person next to me might love it. Does that make hunting irrelevant? Then you go on talking in circles, and once again end with free association and post modern society. You're not being clear, and it almost, just kind of sounds like you're beating around some bush. Yes I agree people don't have a common idea of race, because there cannot be one, just like there cannot be one about anything certain thing. So is everything social construct and irrelevant?

Thanks for that speech on how everyone is a bundle of specialness, playschool.

You can't blame me for you failure to understand what I am talking about when you aren't being clear either. You keep saying you disagree with me. But I would like to know why you disagree with me. Why should it be so thoroughly offensive an idea that race is a social construct? I can tell you what I think is the answer. It's the quote in my first post.

I understand there are people who don't think that race is a social construct, but none of you is yet to explain why. As for your other comments I think only a weak mind criticises someones technique of argument as oposed to their actual arguments. But you have no argument at all. If your tryting to convince me I'm wrong then you're going about it in completely the wrong way.

Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

Andy Pants

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 06:42:42 AM »

*whine*

I prefer a good triple cream brie or pecorino cheese with mine.  Really, I'm not going to even give you the proper response by even reading most of what you've said.  Why?

If you are suggesting that everyone has the same classifications that you do and associates them with the same ideas that you do...

*see avatar as response*

Cynicism is so cool.

What is it that you disagree with? That it's subjective, which you seem to admit it is, or that it's meaningless which in my definition means irrelevant or without signifigant consequence?

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »

I must say that I am quite impressed with most of President Obama's first day Decrees.

I honestly hope that he can make those lobbyist regulations stick.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »

Thanks for that speech on how everyone is a bundle of specialness, playschool.

You can't blame me for you failure to understand what I am talking about when you aren't being clear either. You keep saying you disagree with me. But I would like to know why you disagree with me. Why should it be so thoroughly offensive an idea that race is a social construct? I can tell you what I think is the answer. It's the quote in my first post.

I understand there are people who don't think that race is a social construct, but none of you is yet to explain why. As for your other comments I think only a weak mind criticises someones technique of argument as oposed to their actual arguments. But you have no argument at all. If your tryting to convince me I'm wrong then you're going about it in completely the wrong way.

I feel like I'm arguing with Ann Coulter. I've been quite clear, and already commented on the quote in your first post.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

:happy1:

#@!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up