THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The inauguration of Barack Obama.  (Read 19616 times)

Kovacs

Re: The inauguration of Barack Obama.
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »

Andy: You're missing our point. No one disagrees with you that the concept of race is a social construct. Where you are almost certainly wrong is saying that the construct is meaningless, except to you personally.

Social constructs: Friendship, our monetary system, love, family, morality, etc etc etc. Those exist, and have meaning. All social constructs do. Do they have inherant meaning? Not really. But that's why they're social constructs, the people give them meaning. You can see the effects, even if the construct doesn't physically exist, and is a sort of mass-agreement. Which means the construct can be changed, or vary from society to society, person to person. Essentially what you've said in previous posts.

The reason you're beating around your own massive bush is, what's your point? You don't have one, aside from the fact that you think race is meaningless. To you. That's great, but it's not some vast theory thats going over all our heads.

And, by the way, if you're startled at the animosity, look at the thread you're in. That's where it's coming from. You're acting like an idiot, and making a fool of yourself. If there was a thread where Prop 8 got overturned, would you be in there spouting "That's great, but sexuality is meaningless since it's a social construct"? There would be no point to a statement like that there, and there isn't one here, except you making an ass of yourself.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

Andy Pants.
Race is relevant. Race is important.
Let me tell you why. I know you won't agree.
You are saying that race doesn't make anybody beytter than anyone? Yes it fucking does.
Come to Scotland and speak about the english- they were once above us and now we are all resentful for it.
Go to the USA. African Americans have long suffered shorter odds than white americans. There are so many statistics to back this up, I'm not bringing that up here. it has take nuntil now for a black man to be president in the USA.
This brings everyone a little closer to your ideal of all race being equal, but it still isn't.

It is futile to argue against this fact as this is always going to happen. We have lives withing our racial groups for thousands of years, and it has never ever ever been equal, and no pissing and moaning from you about how we are allthe same will change that.

I'm Scottish, I'm proud, and because of that a part of me resents the English and another loves the French. Nothing will ever change that ever.

If I were to come over there and opress your racial group, would that make it all more relevant to you?
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »

Cynicism is so cool.

Firstly, your questions have been answered by others, so I'm not going to cycle back through them myself.  Secondly, maybe if you'd stop trying to present your argument like a condescending kid still in 11th grade, I wouldn't blow off most of your diatribe.  Three, it was sarcasm.

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »

Murflufles...Bitches!
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Ashleetalks_toastronauts

• Amandaaaa.
    • Typical.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »

I could not stop laughing when the one pastor/church guy said "When black will not be asked to get back".

I think it was because I didn't expect funny things like that to come out of such an old little guy.
There's no end to the love you can give when you change your point of view.

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »

I could not stop laughing when the one pastor/church guy said "When black will not be asked to get back".

I think it was because I didn't expect funny things like that to come out of such an old little guy.

I loved his speech so much, and that little kick of humor was such an awesome cherry on top.

Ashleetalks_toastronauts

• Amandaaaa.
    • Typical.
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »

It really was.
The whole thing was so serious, and then he just busts out with all these funny random comments.
"When white will do what's right". Ahahahaa.
There's no end to the love you can give when you change your point of view.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »

Murrfloofles...Bitches!

That restated...

Quote from: Ashleetalks_toastronauts
"When black will not be asked to get back".

When brown can stick around.
When yella' will be mella'
When red can get ahead...
When orange...

xxMonicaxx

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »

Awh I agree about the Reverend's speech. It was so cute. And yeah, I think it was more because it was a frail old man rhyming about a serious topic.. Beautiful :)

Edited because I just searched the speech on Google and it came up with loads of pages where people have ranted about this speech/prayer and are appauled by it... Anyone else come across these? I think people need to relax and have a giggle!

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

The only problem I have with it is the double standard.  Had those same words come out of the mouth of a cracker, he'd have been run out of town on a rail.

I giggled myself.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Haushinka

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »

The only problem I have with it is the double standard.  Had those same words come out of the mouth of a cracker, he'd have been run out of town on a rail.

I giggled myself.

Cracker?
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »

I giggled myself.

Really, I think everybody went kinda....wtf?...regardless of double standard or not  Black, brown, red, yella, and peckerwood alike.  I won't give you the benefit of the cracker.

Also, if I hear "If a white guy had said that!" one more time, I'm going to go million man march on some honky's ass.

Haushinka

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »

I giggled myself.

Really, and think everybody went kinda....wtf?  Black, brown, red, yella, and peckerwood alike.  I won't give you the benefit of the cracker.

Does that mean that white folk are crackers?
Am I a cracker??
I feel so behind.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Musings

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »

You're a cracker, I'm a hijacker.  Now you're all caught up.

Edit: Why do I feel oddly like I could write "Dr. Seuss for Racists" books?  Not that wouldn't be fun and profitable...
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

You're a cracker, I'm a hijacker.  Now you're all caught up.

Edit: Why do I feel oddly like I could write "Dr. Seuss for Racists" books?  Not that wouldn't be fun and profitable...

Dooooo eeeeeeet!

And no, you're a peckerwood.  You're not a cracka.  I won't give whitey the benefit of the cracka.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Up